Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Jewell trigger in rem 700

When I got my trigger yesterday I saw that I had 2 springs in a small envelope. Jewell states (if im not mistaken) the trigger has 3 possible settings for trigger pull, 1 goes from 1-3 ounces, 2 goes from 2-18 ounces and 3 goes from 16-48 ounces. Obviously there was a spring already in the trigger from the factory but does anybody know what spring it is and how to tell the difference between the other two? I set the spring in the trigger as low as it goes and its VERY sensitive, but Ive never shot a light trigger to know what it is. What I do know is that it is either the 1-3 ounce tuned to 1 ounce or it is the 2-18 ounce set on 2 ounce. There is no way for me myself to distinguish between an ounce of pull, but like I said if you point at it in the wrong manner it goes click so Im thinking it might be the 1oz trigger. Can anybody out there help out?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Jewell trigger in rem 700

Depends on the spring and model of trigger.

Jewell HVR adjustment ranges/spring weights
    Spring "A" 8.0 oz. to 56.0 oz.
    Spring "B" 2.0 oz. to 16.0 oz.
    Spring "C" 1.5 oz. to 3.0 oz.

If memory serves, the stock spring onteh HVR for mine was the A spring.

Get yourself a cheap fish scale at Wal Mart if you're on a budget to figure out where you are.

On a side note, I have always had to dremel out the stocks to fit a Jewell trigger and then found many would drop the firing pin when the bolt was slammed shut with some gusto. To remedy that you need to lightly sand the cocking lug with some fine paper.

Lycangreattriggersthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Depends on the spring and model of trigger.

Jewell HVR adjustment ranges/spring weights
    Spring "A" 8.0 oz. to 56.0 oz.
    Spring "B" 2.0 oz. to 16.0 oz.
    Spring "C" 1.5 oz. to 3.0 oz.

If memory serves, the stock spring onteh HVR for mine was the A spring.

Get yourself a cheap fish scale at Wal Mart if you're on a budget to figure out where you are.

On a side note, I have always had to dremel out the stocks to fit a Jewell trigger and then found many would drop the firing pin when the bolt was slammed shut with some gusto. To remedy that you need to lightly sand the cocking lug with some fine paper.

Lycangreattriggersthrope
    Lycanthrope is EXACTLY right in his information about adjusting the triggers. Although I don't know right off hand which spring they come with stock either. Either way, to someone not used to a light trigger, 8 oz will feel EXTREMELY light. Lots of people measure their triggers with fish scales like Lycan suggested. Once you start getting down in the 2 oz and lower, it gets so hard to measure that you probably won't know exactly, and honestly, unless you're shooting BR, it's probably not gonna matter.

Basically, a 1 or 2oz trigger will go off almost as soon as you touch the trigger. I'm not talking about putting much pressure on it either. If you don't know EXACTLY where that trigger is at, when your skin just barely starts to feel the face of that trigger, BOOM! it's gonna go off. They're so light that to someone that is not used to shooting one, it'll feel like you never touched the trigger, or that you just "looked at it wrong".

With Jewell and Shilen triggers, I've had to take a little out of the stock to get them to drop in properly. Some of them will drop in properly, but the bolt release won't function right. It'll stay partially up, and it won't always hold the bolt in the rifle. So make sure that you check that on the trigger. The other problem that Lycanthrope mentioned happens a lot too, and you need to check it on an EMPTY CHAMBER. Try to slam the bolt down hard and see if it clicks, or "decocks". If it does, that means the rifle would have fired, and that's not safe or what you want.

If the stock has a butt pad, you can also do something else to test to see if the trigger is safe. MAKE SURE THE RIFLE HAS AN EMPTY CHAMBER, then you raise the bolt handle and lower it, so that the it resets the trigger and cocks it. Then do NOT get your face over the muzzle, but you want to raise the rifle up about 4" off the ground and drop it on the butt pad. Again, please make sure you do this on an empty chamber, and do NOT get over the barrel while dropping it. This will drop test your rifle, if it clicks, decocks, etc; it means the trigger needs to be adjusted, because it would have gone off and fired. This is unsafe, and if you dropped the rifle, or fell with it, you may injure or kill yourself or someone else.

The other way that I test my triggers, that is similar to slamming the bolt hard you can do with the handle of a hammer. You do NOT have to use the head of the hammer, just the handle. Check the chamber to make sure it's not loaded, and point it in a safe directoin. Raise the bolt handle and lower it, so that the rifle is cocked and the trigger is reset, and then lower it back down so that the bolt is closed, like you would fire it. You then take the HANDLE of your hammer (NOT THE HEAD) and whack the hell out your bolt. Hit it several times and pretty firmly. If the rifle clicks or decocks, the trigger isn't safe and needs adjustment. Because you're changing out the trigger you MUST CHECK THAT IT'S SAFE. To assume that it's perfectly safe the way it's set up could change your life, or someone else's forever; please check to make sure your new trigger is safe. I've shot a guy's BR rifle one time that he told me the trigger was safe on. In the middle of my first 5 shot string, I slam the bolt down, and BOOM the rifle goes off. The rifle was pointed downrange and the bullet actually only hit about 1 1/2" from the rest of the group, but it was a wakeup call. At first he claimed I extended my pinky when I closed the bolt, and accidentally got into his 2 oz trigger without noticing it. Upon the testing I mentioned to you, he figured out that the rifle WOULD fire when the bolt was slammed home. We tell you this because we want you to be safe, please check it out.

(Westmoreland County)

I didnt have to dremel it, it fit right in and all functions are working properly. Its a target tactical so its sitting in a B&C stock. I do have a digital cabelas fish scale so that would be a good idea to see what its on. Like I said I know its light because 3 of the people that picked it up to test fire it had it go "click" before they shouldered the rifle because of being careless with what they touched. As far as premature eboomulation, yes I did test for that because before I had the trigger set properly it was going off. Ive dropped, hit, plucked, and any other shock making thing you can think of. Whats really bad is I havent got to shoot the gun yet, I ordered my scope may 4th they told me and its still on backorder.

One more question for you guys, If I wanted to change the spring in the trigger how would I go about doing that. There are no directions with it just a paper on how to set it, and this is my first experience with a complete aftermarket trigger. Thanks again for the help!

(Lawrence County)

It's not hard......although the standard spring is easily adjusted WAY down. I set mine at a crisp 16oz.

Here ya go:

http://www.ada.ru/Guns/remington/Jewell/manual_en.htm

Lycanpictureshelpthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Bucks County)

Another method of checking if the trigger is too light: cock the rifle bolt, lightly tap the butt on a hard surface if the bolt releases the trigger is set too light.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE