Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Florida Non res, Utah non res, what non res license do you have?

The Utah Concealed carry says it must be dropped off in person. Can I mail a non res?

Utah is cheaper than Florida and gives me Navada plus renewal cost is only 10 bucks...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Florida Non res, Utah non res, what non res license do you have?

You can mail UT...you can mail FL...you can mail CT....you can mail ME....

As of July 1, 2009....NV no longer honors UT.

Handgunlaw.us

Utah's permit will save you a ton of money in the long run. I much prefer it, but as a Utah certified instructor, I may be biased.

We have a Utah permit class scheduled for August 28 in York, Pa. if you are interested - http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...nsylvania.html
    Last edited by ProShooter; July 9th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Utah's permit will save you a ton of money in the long run. I much prefer it, but as a Utah certified instructor, I may be biased.

Also, by taking the Utah class, you can get a certificate that you can also use to apply for Florida if you so choose.

We have a Utah permit class scheduled for August 28 in York, Pa. if you are interested - http://forum.pafoa.org/training-cour...nsylvania.html
    As I previously addressed in a different thread the standard Utah class DOES NOT meet the requirements for Florida unless the applicant completes the optional live fire of the Utah class. I am not sure if the class you are offering has the live fire portion. The application may be approved but the FL applicant and the Utah instructor are violating FL law if the Utah student does not actually commplete live fire. A risk I am not wiling to take.

Proshooter: not trying to come of harsh. I just want any viewers of this forum to know what Florida's actual law is. Below is from Florida's statute.

(790.06) this is right from the Florida application packet on their website.

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one
    of the following:
    1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety
    course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
    Commission or a similar agency of another state;
    2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms
    safety or training course;
    3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course
    or class available to the general public offered by a law
    enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public
    institution or organization or firearms training school,
    utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle
    Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training
    Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and
    Consumer Services;
    4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or
    training course or class offered for security guards,
    investigators, special deputies, or any division or
    subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a
    firearm through participation in organized shooting
    competition or military service;
    6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in
    this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless
    such license has been revoked for cause; or
    7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course
    or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
    Association certified firearms instructor;
    A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the
    courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor,
    school, club, organization, or group that conducted or
    taught said course or class attesting to the completion of
    the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any
    document which shows completion of the course or class
    or evidences participation in firearms competition shall
    constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph;
    any person who conducts a course pursuant to
    subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7.,
    or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such
    courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she
    observed the student safely handle and discharge the
    firearm;

the statute is clear that the instructor must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm. Kinda hard to do without any live fire. I have been over this issue with he NRA and Florida before. Hence why NRA RSO meets only part of the safety class requirements of the statute but since their is no live fire it to does not count either. NRA Home Firearms Safety Course would also not count.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://forum.pafoa.org/concealed-car...l-page-14.html

gbrown - I have read that statute a dozen times and I can honestly say that I have never seen that live fire section included in the statute. Is that new?

In any case, I'll amend my post and I'm going to research that. I appreciate you bringing that to my attention. I know quite a few instructors that are under the same impression and we've never heard of any live fire requirement before.

Thanks again!

Jim

Here is the direct link to Florida's permit info - http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/forms/16036.pdf

Question #5 talks about proof of residency if you are in the military, question 7 talks about prior felony convictions. Question 6 addresses the training requirements, and I quote:

ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION
    1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate
    because it cannot be returned.
    2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;
    3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting
    to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit
    but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
    • Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
    • Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    • Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement,
    junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing
    instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission,
    or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    • Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators,
    special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    • Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition
    or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card;
    discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
    • Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such
    license has been revoked for cause;
    • Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
    Association-certified firearms instructor.
    The photocopy of your training certificate must be clear and legible and include your name, the instructor’s name,
    signature, and certification number. Please do not send the original certificate; it cannot be returned.

also added -

FIREARMS LAW – CHAPTER 790, FLORIDA STATUTES
    You are required by law to read and become knowledgeable of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes, relating to weapons and
    firearms, prior to submitting your application for a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. A copy of Chapter 790, Florida
    Statutes, is included with the application material for you to retain.
    ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
    • You must be 21 years of age or older.
    • You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident alien with supporting documentation as provided in
    Question 5.
    • You must have received firearms training as described in Question 6.
    • You must not be ineligible based upon a disqualifying condition as specified in Questions 7 through 16 of the application.
    • You must desire a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License for the purpose of lawful self-defense.

I see nothing about live fire.

(Philadelphia County)

Proshooter: The live fire requirements is directly in the FL statute. Their application instructions is not law. I even confirmed that live fire is required from the Bureau Chief of Florida Dept. of Agriculture. PM or call me if you need more details.

Page 12 of the PDF you linked is the portion of the FL statute I posted. I am not sure if it's new or not. I became aware of it as the NRA called me to the carpet on it.

gbrown221
    Last edited by gbrown221; July 9th, 2010 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    Proshooter: The live fire requirements is directly in the FL statute. Their application instructions is not law. I even confirmed that live fire is required from the Bureau Chief of Florida Dept. of Agriculture. PM or call me if you need more details.

Page 12 of the PDF you linked is the portion of the FL statute I posted. I am not sure if it's new or not. I became aware of it as the NRA called me to the carpet on it.

gbrown221
    gbrown - thanks again for your call tonight. I'll make some calls on Monday and get an answer. Obviously there is a discrepancy in the information that they have put out there.

Jim

(Bucks County)

Proshooter - I asked FL if this course satisfies their requirements for training as it is administered my a police agency. I was told as it did not include live fire.

Covered in this thread

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Here is the direct link to Florida's permit info - http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/onestop/forms/16036.pdf

Question #5 talks about proof of residency if you are in the military, question 7 talks about prior felony convictions. Question 6 addresses the training requirements, and I quote:

ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION
    1. A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes listed below. Do not send your original certificate
    because it cannot be returned.
    2. A copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition;
    3. An affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught the course or class attesting
    to the completion of the course or class by the applicant below. Be sure to submit the original (notarized) affidavit
    but make a copy for your records because it cannot be returned.
    • Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation
    • Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    • Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement,
    junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing
    instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission,
    or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    • Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators,
    special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
    • Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition
    or military service (persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card;
    discharged persons may submit a copy of the DD-214);
    • Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such
    license has been revoked for cause;
    • Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle
    Association-certified firearms instructor.
    The photocopy of your training certificate must be clear and legible and include your name, the instructor’s name,
    signature, and certification number. Please do not send the original certificate; it cannot be returned.

also added -

FIREARMS LAW – CHAPTER 790, FLORIDA STATUTES
    You are required by law to read and become knowledgeable of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes, relating to weapons and
    firearms, prior to submitting your application for a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License. A copy of Chapter 790, Florida
    Statutes, is included with the application material for you to retain.
    ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
    • You must be 21 years of age or older.
    • You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent legal resident alien with supporting documentation as provided in
    Question 5.
    • You must have received firearms training as described in Question 6.
    • You must not be ineligible based upon a disqualifying condition as specified in Questions 7 through 16 of the application.
    • You must desire a Concealed Weapon or Firearm License for the purpose of lawful self-defense.

I see nothing about live fire.

Jim,
    I have provided many of my students affidavits after taking my Utah course that allowed them to obtain the Florida CCW. Not a single student has been denied. As I tell all of my students, if you are rejected by Florida after using my affidavit for proof of training, I will train you in a certificate bearing course for free. Needless to say, I've never trained anyone for free yet.
    Please keep us updated on this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast