Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: This flashlight combo may just save your life

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    Myself. Regardless of what setting your light is on when deployed, a bright light in low light or darkness, when an attackers eyes are not used to it, is going to be a positive for you.as long as the light comes on it shouldn't and doesn't matter whether it's steady or flashing, if the BG can't see....he can't see, and it gives you a few more seconds to react accordingly.
    I would question some uber-dim modes being useful for the BG, not you.

I would ask on the topic of "training" fixing the light concerns such as the switching and such, if weapons manipulations go to shit under stress, what will happen to your light activation technique? Too many variables for me to wonder so I will use a single mode light.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I would question some uber-dim modes being useful for the BG, not you.

I would ask on the topic of "training" fixing the light concerns such as the switching and such, if weapons manipulations go to shit under stress, what will happen to your light activation technique? Too many variables for me to wonder so I will use a single mode light.
    with mine you actually have to unscrew the front to change the brightness. That being said, whether I activate it with steady, strobe or s.o.s......205 lumens in someone's eyes at night from the quick push of a tailcap is going to leave them blind for a bit...and mine is always on steady with the first push, it automatically resets back to steady mode after 2 seconds or non-use so I always know where its going to be set.

training also solves weapons manipulations going to "shit under stress". It's all about programming your mind and body to do things naturally through repetition.

Same thing applies with martial arts.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; July 21st, 2010 at 10:20 AM.

(Allegheny County)

with mine you actually have to unscrew the front to change the brightness. That being said, whether I activate it with steady, strobe or s.o.s......205 lumens in someone's eyes at night from the quick push of a tailcap is going to leave them blind for a bit...and mine is always on steady with the first push, it automatically resets back to steady mode after 2 seconds or non-use so I always know where its going to be set.

training also solves weapons manipulations going to "shit under stress". It's all about programming your mind and body to do things naturally through repetition.

Same thing applies with martial arts.
    It seems quite idealistic and possibly foolish to rely on 205 lumens blinding anybody while being attacked. It's not a laser gun and not a force field. I'd be damn ready for the blinding effect to not work.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    It seems quite idealistic and possibly foolish to rely on 205 lumens blinding anybody while being attacked. It's not a laser gun and not a force field. I'd be damn ready for the blinding effect to not work.
    Try it some time, seriously, have a friend shine one in your eyes at night after they're adjusted to the darkness and try to attack him. You'd be surprised how effective it is and how long it takes you to focus.

(Washington County)

I've owned one of the NEBO lights originally posted for about a year and I love it. I carried it dailys and used it all the time and the 3 AAA batteries were going fine until I left it on over night a few times. Very tough light. I had it on my 12ga and fired it a few times and the light was fine. I got it for $15 at my local gun shop and I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a semi-serious light while on a budget. The front side is definitely sharp and after riding around in your pocket for a year it shows wear and feels sharper. I went and bought another one as a backup and stored it away with the batteries removed. I like it that much. I also have no doubt it is water proof. It has o-rings and everything inside has a coating of dieletric grease. This light is bright IMO. Looking into it outside during the day will even throw your vision off a little.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Allegheny County)

Try it some time, seriously, have a friend shine one in your eyes at night after they're adjusted to the darkness and try to attack him. You'd be surprised how effective it is and how long it takes you to focus.
    I think you may be missing my point. Do that same experiment and give your friend a training knife or pipe or some other weapon. Now at a range where that light is going to affect his vision, I'm willing to bet that he can still have one hell of a fighting chance of getting his hands on you or striking you.

The human brain is an amazingly adaptive thing and by relying on a light to suddenly create a deer in headlights effect thus ending a confrontation is optimistic. Can it happen? Yes. Are you willing to bet your life on it?
    Last edited by GuyMontag; July 23rd, 2010 at 08:50 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I think you may be missing my point. Do that same experiment and give your friend a training knife or pipe or some other weapon. Now at a range where that light is going to affect his vision, I'm willing to bet that he can still have one hell of a fighting change of getting his hands on you or striking you.

The human brain is an amazingly adaptive thing and by relying on a light to suddenly create a deer in headlights effect thus ending a confrontation is optimistic. Can it happen? Yes. Are you willing to bet your life on it?
    Not to mention the strobing light, @ 935 lumens, will still effect the user.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Monroe County)

I think you may be missing my point. Do that same experiment and give your friend a training knife or pipe or some other weapon. Now at a range where that light is going to affect his vision, I'm willing to bet that he can still have one hell of a fighting change of getting his hands on you or striking you.

I never said a light would end a confrontation. What I said is that it can definitely buy you some time.
    Myself. Regardless of what setting your light is on when deployed, a bright light in low light or darkness, when an attackers eyes are not used to it, is going to be a positive for you.as long as the light comes on it shouldn't and doesn't matter whether it's steady or flashing, if the BG can't see....he can't see, and it gives you a few more seconds to react accordingly.

(Allegheny County)

Myself.
    ahhhhhh...... ok then

well, heres what someone I have trained with says:

This is from an "Advanced Pistol" course I took just this past March in NC with Ken Hackathorn

(Allegheny County)

Ken Hackathorn... pffftttt, who's that guy? What the hell does HE know about shooting...

I think Ken sums it up nicely with, "Bullshit."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast