Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: This flashlight combo may just save your life

Surefire G2 they're not expensive depending on your budget, even so, buy once, cry once.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I would not suggest any light with:

to be used in a life and death encounter.

I have found it is hard enough to deal with 2 settings on a tail click while shooting, IDing targets, moving, navigating, ect, without the stress of a sudden violent encounter with a determined adversary.
    I prefer a single function light for EDC. Personally I like a Surefire L4, but some of the offerings at shiningbeam are nice. Find one that fits your hand, can be easily manipulated, is small enough to carry all the time, ect ect ect.

To be clear, a very useful falshlight technique while working with a firearm is the "flashbulb". What you do is illuminate just enough long enough to ID the threat, or manuver and then LIGHT OFF and move and engage. Working the light on and off like this "flashing" will inevitabley be you working in and around 500 useless functions. SOS ?
    I agree completely.

The only flashlight that I have found that is suitable for EDC and also has multiple functions is the Quark Tactical, by 4Sevens. The reason that it is functional for EDC is because the tailcap switch just turns the light on and off, one mode only. To switch between the modes, the head of the flashlight has to be rotated, and that flashlight head doesn't rotate unless you want it to.

I like it because it uses a premium Cree LED that is plenty bright enough for tactical applications, but if you take the time, you can get other modes of operation that might be useful for certain environments. On the lights lowest setting, it has a continuous run time of 30 days.

It's worth a look, and considerably less expensive than other tactical lights that frequently aren't as bright, and don't offer the versatility that the Quark has while maintaining the necessary functional setup required for EDC.

(Allegheny County)

I switched to a single mode Romisen. The two modes were close enough together as not to matter but I like this light better. I can get a good grip, and still shift it in my hand to do reloads or other gun manipulations.

And for under $25 shipped, it's hard to beat.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    I agree completely.

The only flashlight that I have found that is suitable for EDC and also has multiple functions is the Quark Tactical, by 4Sevens. The reason that it is functional for EDC is because the tailcap switch just turns the light on and off, one mode only. To switch between the modes, the head of the flashlight has to be rotated, and that flashlight head doesn't rotate unless you want it to.

I like it because it uses a premium Cree LED that is plenty bright enough for tactical applications, but if you take the time, you can get other modes of operation that might be useful for certain environments. On the lights lowest setting, it has a continuous run time of 30 days.

It's worth a look, and considerably less expensive than other tactical lights that frequently aren't as bright, and don't offer the versatility that the Quark has while maintaining the necessary functional setup required for EDC.
    123 or AA batteries?
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    123 or AA batteries?
    Your choice.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297_306

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    LOL

I guess I should have been more clear with my question. I did go to the site and saw that you could get either a AA or 123 model. They both have the same lighting power and run times. So the question 'really' is which do you have AA or 123 and why?

My understanding is that 123's have a longer shelf life while AA's are cheaper and more readily available.
    thanks
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Monroe County)

I would not suggest any light with:

to be used in a life and death encounter.

I have found it is hard enough to deal with 2 settings on a tail click while shooting, IDing targets, moving, navigating, ect, without the stress of a sudden violent encounter with a determined adversary.
    I prefer a single function light for EDC. Personally I like a Surefire L4, but some of the offerings at shiningbeam are nice. Find one that fits your hand, can be easily manipulated, is small enough to carry all the time, ect ect ect.

To be clear, a very useful falshlight technique while working with a firearm is the "flashbulb". What you do is illuminate just enough long enough to ID the threat, or manuver and then LIGHT OFF and move and engage. Working the light on and off like this "flashing" will inevitabley be you working in and around 500 useless functions. SOS ?
    practice and training solve all these problems

(Allegheny County)

The ITP A1 is brighter on it's "high" setting than the light mentioned by the OP. It's supposedly capable of 80 lumens and is probably 2-3x brighter than the lights originally mentioned. It's the size of the maglite solitare. While the laser light mentioned is large, and appears to be a kinda junky light.

And that's a $20 keyring light in comparison to a fuller size light that I would not find remotely practical to carry.

Yes I have handled the light mentioned. 4 days ago.

The Romisen CR123 light that was also mentioned is probably 5x brighter, is smaller, and is only $5 more. And for the record has absorbed a few thousand rounds on a rifle so far for me. Still on the original battery. It's been like 8 months.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    practice and training solve all these problems
    Who have you trained with in low light ?

(Monroe County)

Who have you trained with in low light ?
    Myself. Regardless of what setting your light is on when deployed, a bright light in low light or darkness, when an attackers eyes are not used to it, is going to be a positive for you.as long as the light comes on it shouldn't and doesn't matter whether it's steady or flashing, if the BG can't see....he can't see, and it gives you a few more seconds to react accordingly.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast