Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFA or not.

(Monroe County)

Default NFA or not.

I came across this product the other day and got to thinking.

As this is a flashlight holder, and a horzontal grip ( argueably) Is this a NFA item if mounted on a pistol?

Opinions?

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

Default Re: NFA or not.

I would be inclined to say yes as the extra material that forms the questionable grip portion is not required to secure the flashlight. Therefore the oversized piece was meant to be a grip when constructed and attached.

(York County)

I don't think that a forward grip, even an intentional one would make a pistol an SBR (if I read that thats where you are going with this), it's the shoulder stock that you have to worry about when it comes to SBRs/pistols.

IANAL

Edit:I was wrong!
    Last edited by YBNORMAL; July 8th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Policraticus View Post
    I would be inclined to say yes as the extra material that forms the questionable grip portion is not required to secure the flashlight. Therefore the oversized piece was meant to be a grip when constructed and attached.
    Maybe I am way off on this, but I thought I could put together an AR pistol and put all the forward grip stuff I wanted as long as I don't have any way to shoulder it or mount a stock to it, I am good to go.

IANAL
    Edit: I was Wrong!
    Last edited by YBNORMAL; July 8th, 2010 at 08:55 PM.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    Maybe I am way off on this, but I thought I could put together an AR pistol and put all the forward grip stuff I wanted as long as I don't have any way to shoulder it or mount a stock to it, I am good to go.

IANAL
    AFAIK, a VFG on a pistol makes it an AOW

Not sure what the answer to the OP's question is though

I don't think that a forward grip, even an intentional one would make a pistol an SBR (if I read that thats where you are going with this), it's the shoulder stock that you have to worry about when it comes to SBRs/pistols.
    He does not only mean SBRs. NFA also includes SBSs, Cans, and AOWs which this would make any pistol it is attached to imo.

(York County)

Yup, you guys are right, I spoke too soon, a VFG would make it an AOW.

http://wapedia.mobi/en/National_Firearms_Act#2.

Any Other Weapons (AOWs) - this is a broad "catch-all" category used to regulate any number of firearms which the ATF deems deserving of registration and taxation. Examples include, among others:

•Smooth-bore pistols
    •Pen guns and cane guns
    •Short-barreled firearms with both rifled and smooth bores, etc.
    •Disguised firearms
    •Firearms that can be fired from within a wallet holster or a briefcase
    •A short-barreled shotgun which came from the factory with a pistol grip is categorized as an AOW rather than a SBS, because the Gun Control Act describes a shotgun as “…designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder…”
    •Handguns with a forward vertical grip. It is therefore illegal to place an aftermarket foregrip on any pistol without first registering it as an AOW and paying the $200 "making tax" imposed by the Act.
    Last edited by YBNORMAL; July 8th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
    Ayn Rand

(Monroe County)

I was thinking aow actually.

Now is this considered a VFG. It's not actually vertical after all. To me vertical would be something perpendicular to the bore axis mounted on the front.

Something like this.

The one in question is more um horizontal?

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

(York County)

I get what your saying, but I think if it was me I would try to get a letter from the ATF for clerification before mounting that thing up. You and I both know what your going to use that for, a forward grip. ATF is not known for thier leniency.
    Ayn Rand

(Monroe County)

I hear you. Just adding some interesting thought to a Thursday evening.

I get what your saying, but I think if it was me I would try to get a letter from the ATF for clerification before mounting that thing up. You and I both know what your going to use that for, a forward grip. ATF is not known for thier leniency.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast