Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wyoming County)

Default Home made 3 gun practice coarse

I was thinking about putting in a 3 gun coarse at my shooting range. The field is about 200 yards by 100 yards and sort makes a P shape. The range is surrounded by banks, and I have 10-12 6' by 12' walls/fences and 2-4 of the 4' by 10' fences. I can't figure out the layout I want to make for the coarse though. The picture attached is the layout I was thinking about. Safety I thought about and no matter which way I face the coarse the bullets will hit the banks. Unless someone shoots one way up in the air, but safety is the only way to stop that.

Any suggestions you guys have would be great. Also I don't think shotgun will be a big part of it because that destroys targets, unless I just get a spinning target or something.

Thanks in advance
    Jake

edit: The thing hanging from the chain is a metal target we put up about 180 yards from where we shoot.
    Last edited by shooker8; July 8th, 2010 at 03:35 PM.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Home made 3 gun practice coarse

I'm in a similiar boat as you so hopefully someone has some good contributions here. Have you gone on youtube and seen the layout of some courses? There are some good videos. I have a lot of things to use for mine...a car, appliances, barrels, wood target holders...I just don't know how to set up everything.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

From the looks of it, it looks pretty solid. I'd add in(if you have not already) a good shot timer and some friends to run through it with you. This way you can shake it down to be more challenging and you'll have the ability to push yourself harder with your friends and be able to measure your results with the shot timer. Stay creative and when you are out and about, look how streets are composed and if you had to go from one point to another down a street or through a bunch of houses, how would you do it? then do your best to emulate that through your course. If your interested, I'd be more then willing to come out and advise you with it when I come home from the rock box in a few months. If you can, add in a vehicle (junk vehicle, preferably with no windows, motor, trans, etc., can be had for pretty cheap from a local junk yard) for different styles of shooting. You may very well have it shaken down by the time i come come.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

(Lawrence County)

Actually, the best way to practice for 3 gun is to master each gun on a stage of it's own. Transition from gun to gun is just a very small part of 3 gun. Reloads on a shotgun or transitions with the pistol, however, have huge payoffs.

Set a pistol stage with some close targets for speed and then a wide spread of mid range and farther targets.

Shoot a close stage with steel for shotgun. Some midrange paper for slugs. Findng out where your gun shoots slugs is a big deal.

For rifle get some vlose targets and then some long range work out to 300 yards.

All of this on the timer.

Lycanreloadsoneverystagethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Wyoming County)

thanks for the advice guys