Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Cool OC in Philadelphia, Positive Experience!!!

First, a little background. This is my second time OCing. I'm the proud owner of a Glock 19, 9mm w/ nightsights and I've CC'ed for a few months prior. CC is my main carrying method but some days, like today with heat like this, I just don't feel like it. I live in Philadelphia, therefor that's where I OCed this evening.

I left my house with my Glock on my hip and my GF in my passenger seat. Stopped at the Wawa on Frankford by Levick to hit up the ATM for some cash. I was very nervous, this Wawa ALWAYS has PPD inside. I was half expecting to be hassled or arrested. Fortunately there were no PPD present, and no one said anything or even looked at me sideways. Relieved I took my cash and went to my planned destination, a small coffee shop on the same block on Frankford ave. My Mother works there and Its pretty common for me to stop by, say Hi and get something to drink or eat.

As I walked down the street to the shop I noticed a lot of eyes on me. No one said or did anything but look. I go inside, they're doing karaoke and the same thing. I get some eyes. I stand by the counter with my GF and chat with my Mom who is working. She was the only employee working at the time, so we chat in-between customers. One dude while in line kept on turning around to look at me and gave me dirty looks. Whatever dude. After he got his stuff he went up to do his karaoke and did a little rap about his past experiences and it included some negative gun related experiences, so I figure the dude's afraid of guns. That's cool. I feel his pain. Nothing else involving him happened, no police calls... nothing. Besides, at that point I was protected by the fact that I was inside of a private business, not that I owned it or worked there, but I know the Owner and he would stick up for me if it was needed for whatever reason.

The evening goes on, I step out front with my mother and GF for them to take a smoke break. So there I am on a corner on Frankford ave, OC'ing. No one does or says anything besides the usual friendly chatter you expect at this sort of place. Biker guy walked up to me and chatted etc...

Go back inside and a little later on a big, built dude in a yellow tanktop with a walkie-talkie (maybe nextel) comes up to the counter to place his order, while im hanging out on the outside of the counter just chatting and he casually says to whoever is on the other end of the walkie-talkie "They got a security guard here" and my Mom corrects him "He's not a guard" he looks at me "Cop?" I say "No" he says "Who are you?" I answer him "Just a citizen." my Mom added "He's my Son". The dude turns to me and says "I like you!" "Anyone who goes wherever they want with a gun hanging on their side like that.. you gotta like them!" He smiles and goes on to tell his friend on the walkie-talkie about how he likes me and thinks its cool a citizen is walking around with his side-arm in plain view.

The End

(Monroe County)

Default Re: OC in Philadelphia, Positive Experience!!!

Do you know what to do if the police start on you? What about if the notorious PPD blatantly violates your rights? Any idea on how to keep your mouth shut and what to say to attempt at preserving any possibility of winning a civil or criminal trial against the PPD?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

Youre welcome to quiz me if you'd like.

(Philadelphia County)

That's about three quarters of a mile from where I had my incident with the PPD. Good luck.

I like the first response jumping you about your knowledge of how to handle a police encounter. Can't let you have your small OC victory, we must assume the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by ByblosHex View Post
    The dude turns to me and says "I like you!" "Anyone who goes wherever they want with a gun hanging on their side like that.. you gotta like them!" He smiles and goes on to tell his friend on the walkie-talkie about how he likes me and thinks its cool a citizen is walking around with his side-arm in plain view.
    Next time, take along some Pennsylvania Gun Rights flyers and hand them out. Spread the OC love.

http://paopencarry.org/PennsylvaniaGunRights.pdf

(Chester County)

Question... Do you have retention training? A retention holster?
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by electronics View Post
    I like the first response jumping you about your knowledge of how to handle a police encounter. Can't let you have your small OC victory, we must assume the worst!
    He is just trying to make sure this guy has all his ducks in a row. Lets face it, an uneducated man (not saying the OP doesn't know), can go out, buy a handgun, and OC anywhere they want. Without knowing their rights, a person can get in a lot of trouble.

(Bucks County)

I use to live right down the street. Levick and large. I went to school at spruance. It was a nice place to live back then.

(Montgomery County)

But the funny thing is I came to this forum to do a little research and maybe ask a few questions, but the more I read, the less I feel like it. Seems every time someone makes an honest mistake everyone wants to start breaking out the hammers and nails. I would love to oc, but I think I would like to do it with someone knowledgeable who I trust, but I haven't found the oppurtunity yet.

On a side note, that coffee shop is on my block. Always packed on the weekends when my wife and I are walking to the store.

I think one of the wawa cops noticed me printing one night because he kept staring at me, but at 6'4 and 290 lbs with a shaved head I think a lot of people assume I'm a cop. At least that's what my neighbor told me. Lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast