Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: AR-15 questions

(Perry County)

Default AR-15 questions

I had been thinking about getting an AK-47 in another thread but then I did some more thinking and looking around and thought maybe I would like an AR better.
    An AK would probably fit the budget better though.

Anyway, I don't know much about ARs. What advice would you guys have for a first time AR buyer? Whats the best bang for the buck (best quality for as little money) AR out there?

Is there anything special about maintaining one?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: AR-15 questions

The AR is a great platform...parts are easy to get and interchangeable from one brand to another. Also, tons of accessories are available. Naming a quality brand is a bit more cloudy though...everyone has their opinions, but to me...Bushmaster, Stag or Rock River seem to be the best on a working man's salary. I'd love to have a Colt, but not for the prices they are asking.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    The AR is a great platform...parts are easy to get and interchangeable from one brand to another. Also, tons of accessories are available. Naming a quality brand is a bit more cloudy though...everyone has their opinions, but to me...Bushmaster, Stag or Rock River seem to be the best on a working man's salary. I'd love to have a Colt, but not for the prices they are asking.
    I've looked at a few places online and I think the cheapest I saw was about $710.

(Bucks County)

If money is tight you can always buy used components and build your own. Check out AR15.com. They have instructions for putting everything together as well as a pretty extensive equipment exchange.

What brand of AR did you find for $710?

Not to take anything away from this great forum, but if you are looking for answers about an AR, then go to www.ar15.com You will learn more there after looking at a few threads.
    Jules

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Karys View Post
    If money is tight you can always buy used components and build your own. Check out AR15.com. They have instructions for putting everything together as well as a pretty extensive equipment exchange.

What brand of AR did you find for $710?
    don't remember right now, and i may be wrong. I'm sure i saw a few for mid 700s though.

DPMS AR-15 for $669http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog....asp?Prodid=50

I took a look at the ar15.com forums and I'm guessing this site isn't for newbies to AR-15s? Seems like all anyone is talking about is buying this or that part. I'm not too confident or comfortable in building my own rifle.
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; October 15th, 2007 at 02:36 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by WWGunslinger View Post
    don't remember right now, and i may be wrong. I'm sure i saw a few for mid 700s though.

DPMS AR-15 for $669http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/prog....asp?Prodid=50
    That DPMS isn't bad. It's got an A1 upper though. It's a good starter rifle. You might have a hard time getting rid of it down the road because an A1 upper is the least desireable. You could always rebuild it to an A2 or A3 later and sell the A1 online.

My first AR was a Bushmaster in similar configuration. I paid way more than $669 for it though. They saw me coming.

Personally, I'd go for a mid-length instead of a carbine. I just don't like all that barrel sticking out from under those short handguards. That's just me though.

See if you can find a dealer that sells Stag Arms AR-15's. They tend to run a little cheaper. I don't own a full Stag rifle but I built my service rifle on a Stag lower and I haven't had any problems or heard anything bad about them. The prices on the Stag website are MSRP.

I've become a big fan of Rock River Arms since I built an AR earlier this year with an RRA lower parts kit with their NM trigger. I bought a RRA mid-length carbine from these guys earlier this summer and I'm real happy with it...http://www.ar15sales.com/. You'll have to call for pricing.

I took a look at the ar15.com forums and I'm guessing this site isn't for newbies to AR-15s? Seems like all anyone is talking about is buying this or that part. I'm not too confident or comfortable in building my own rifle.
    Building an AR is very easy. Check out this thread: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

It gives you the names of all the parts and pictures of how they go together.

Their forums are huge and there's lots of info there. It's probably going to take some time to sift through it all to find the info you're looking for.

(Perry County)

This is probably a dumb question, but could I just buy a complete lower and a complete upper and be done? Would they just need to be put together then? Would I need any special tools or extra parts to put them together?

also, do you have to have each piece shipped to an FFL holder or can you ship them directly to your house?

Whats the difference between 5.56 and .223?

Here's the $710 Doublestar AR - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411534646
    Last edited by WWGunslinger; October 15th, 2007 at 03:50 PM.

(Northumberland County)

This is probably a dumb question, but could I just buy a complete lower and a complete upper and be done? Would they just need to be put together then? Would I need any special tools or extra parts to put them together?
    as long as you have fingres you should be ok

fwiw, i put my ar together from a kit. less than $500 into it. only tool NEEDED is a wrench for tightening the bbl. there are others that might be handy, but if you have a good set of punches, the bbl wrench is about all youll need.

unless you get a kit with an ASSEMBLED upper, then just the punches.

(Philadelphia County)

how much would it cost to build from parts vs buying used/new?

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast