Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Man hit with rock while on ATV

I must\will admit that in the summer, when it's a nice cool morning....say between 7:00 and 8:30, I will convince my wife to hop on my EZ-GO (remember....it's electric.....top speed of 8...yes Eight mph....but it has an unbelievable amount of torque! Upgraded to 48-V, Posi-traction, Bla, Bla, Bla) and we will take our coffee's and cruize out of our little street (we live on a dead end) and cross a very un-busy road to a new plan of homes that are being built.

We say hello to the construction workers, critique the homes, scare the groundhogs, tresspass across a few lots at times since no one can actually hear us....but most of the time we spend illegally on the street where there are maybe 2 cars on a busy morning.

Oh yeah!!!! It's the criminal mind in us that makes us do it. We just can't help ourselves.

Somehow it makes up for the walks we use to take....and can't any longer. But we are a real "criminal element" here in our sleepy little township.

Dave

Back in the early 60's they had the same problem with snowmobiles. In Maine the property owners took to putting up wire between 2 trees (on their property). There was a big to-do about it. It wasn't wide spread but when word got out it really cut down on trespassing.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by geist262 View Post
    I used to live in town and what I hated more than anything was LOUD harleys. More of a nuisance than any ATV, but its OK because its "legal." Yeah, a bike going up the road 2:30am pushing over 100db is legal. Go figure.
    had a problem with one a dem once.
    cool nites in the late spring/early fall some douche would blast down main street at O'dark thirty most mornings.
    WOT, winding every gear...yeah that was awesome. you would hear that fawkr i bet at least one and miles. and gawd forbid he stopped at the light almost right in front of the place....cause letting a hardly just idle is a sin, you need to burp the throttle the whole time.
    if ever there was a person i wished harm to befoul, he would have been at the top of the list.
    every time it was the same routine, never was there time he nursed it through or short shifted.
    Last edited by brian; July 31st, 2010 at 04:45 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    Oh yeah!!!! It's the criminal mind in us that makes us do it. We just can't help ourselves.

Somehow it makes up for the walks we use to take....and can't any longer. But we are a real "criminal element" here in our sleepy little township.

Dave
    I just don't get it, Dave. It's obvious from your posts that you don't fall into the category of ATV owner that is being complained about in this thread. So why are you being so defensive about critical statements about OTHER people who ride abusively? It just seems like you're spoiling for an argument. The fact of the matter is that there are people in the world that inconsiderately ride their ATVs. You apparently don't. Why get bent out of shape when criticism is pointed at someone who deserves it?

The most ironic part about my current post is, as if by some twisted, Divine irony, an ATV just went down the street in front of my house (@ 9 pm) at about 40 mph (when the speed limit is only 15 mph) with no headlights on in the dark. I know it's not one of my neighbors because the only neighbor w/ an ATV isn't home tonight.

But I guess that's just me being irrational again.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    I just don't get it, Dave. It's obvious from your posts that you don't fall into the category of ATV owner that is being complained about in this thread. So why are you being so defensive about critical statements about OTHER people who ride abusively? It just seems like you're spoiling for an argument. The fact of the matter is that there are people in the world that inconsiderately ride their ATVs. You apparently don't. Why get bent out of shape when criticism is pointed at someone who deserves it?
    For those ATV owners\riders that do intentional trespass and damage others property....I'm all for throwin the book at 'em.

For those ATV owners\riders that ride on some back roads illegally but do no harm to no one and quite frankly, are doing no more or making no more noise, and for the most part, making less noise than the Harley guy.....hey...I got no problem with that. IF they crash into a tree or roll into a ditch....well.....stupid is as stupid does I guess.

I just get my juggler in a knot when the discussion turns to "ALL" ATV owners\riders get thrown into the same "pot". It use to be if you rode a Harley, you were automatically a "Hell's Angel" or a "Pagen". Not that way today......but it's taken 30 years to get there.

That's all. Not a big deal. Just my two cents.

Dave

(Allegheny County)

Hey Dave,
    Unknot that jugular. It appears to me that most of the posts here are against the irresponsible ATV'ers.

It's like our collective hatred of irresponsible gun owners.

Makes the good ones look bad.
    There are lots of responsible ATV riders out there.

only atv i've ever rode/driven was the mule at the club

That's cool that you and your wife can take those rides together.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTM View Post
    I must\will admit that in the summer, when it's a nice cool morning....say between 7:00 and 8:30, I will convince my wife to hop on my EZ-GO (remember....it's electric.....top speed of 8...yes Eight mph....but it has an unbelievable amount of torque! Upgraded to 48-V, Posi-traction, Bla, Bla, Bla) and we will take our coffee's and cruize out of our little street (we live on a dead end) and cross a very un-busy road to a new plan of homes that are being built.

We say hello to the construction workers, critique the homes, scare the groundhogs, tresspass across a few lots at times since no one can actually hear us....but most of the time we spend illegally on the street where there are maybe 2 cars on a busy morning.

Dave
    Thats why he is so defensive... because everything we are saying against ATV owners applies to him as well. The only difference is that his isn't loud or fast.

Unless its legal KEEP IT OFF THE ROADS, and DON'T TRESPASS. these aren't hard concepts to understand.

Do you deserve to have a rock chucked at you? nope, at least not unless on the back of your silent golf cart you have a monster sub blasting rap but you are still doing the exact same thing
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    Hey Dave,
    Unknot that jugular. It appears to me that most of the posts here are against the irresponsible ATV'ers.

It's like our collective hatred of irresponsible gun owners.

Makes the good ones look bad.
    There are lots of responsible ATV riders out there.

only atv i've ever rode/driven was the mule at the club

That's cool that you and your wife can take those rides together.
    Koli,

Yeah,

I suppose if I were a large land owner and constantly harrased by ATV's and had my property damaged, I'd want a place to vent too.

Understandable. It's a two way street....but if your the landowner and the one puttin out the bucks to fix what you didn't break.....I'd be "venting" too!

And as far as Dredly's comment on my "Trespassing" on vacant lots, I'm kind of laughing as you see.....these are building lots listed for sale. All of the top soil has been stripped from them and they are mostly clay 'n rock with a smattering of weeds and whatever else managed to stick to it and grow from the spring.

The builders Cat tracks are clearly evident from pushing dirt, laying electric and sewer lines and what not across these lots. My EZ-GO has turf tires on it. (Yeah....I've actually driven it on a real Golf Course with permission and everything and it's not harmed really fine fairways 'n stuff.....even while hauling dead deer dripping blood back across the fairways. (I hear protein is good for turf?) )

You could prolly find my cart tracks......but bring your spotting scope.

Dave

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    at least not unless on the back of your silent golf cart you have a monster sub blasting rap but you are still doing the exact same thing
    Dred......Chill man. I actually can buy some really nice (And I mean WOW) stereo systems for the EZ-GO. Except the issue is, I can't listen to any type of music with a heavy base drum or any type of heavy rhythmic thumpin. My disease will turn that into an instant migraine headache and that will put me down like a Mike Vic loser dog for a day.

Dave

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    you were there?

Facts:

Man was riding ATV on a public road at 11:30 pm

Another guy went outside and threw a rock at him and hit him... chances this was the first time he came past?
    In the same respect, do you think shooting someone hitting your mailbox with a baseball bat is justified?

The proper justice would be a fine for the rider. Not a rock to the throat. No matter how much you hate it, or it annoys you, this is a police issue. Not personal vigilantism.

I personally hope the rider brings a lawsuit against the thrower. That's no way to solve an issue of this matter. Maybe he should just run a cable across the road and take the guys head off right away? That should be justified, after all, he shouldn't have been riding on the road...

I know it annoys me when you have a few idiots that ruin it for everyone else. I don't ride where I am not supposed to, and I respect land and people. But again, proper punishment would be a fine for the offense. Not physical harm.. But you have to remember not to hate all ATV riders, and focus it on those who are the idiots.

Just my .02
    Last edited by NikeBauer21; August 1st, 2010 at 11:34 AM.
    III%

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast