Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Snyder County)

Default Questions on LTCF Application Process in Snyder County

Now, I already have my LTCF and it doesn't expire for a couple years. But I would like my wife to get hers. So I was reading on the Snyder County Sheriff's website and there is a question and answer section found here. While I have issues with some of the responses, my question lies in the first question:

Q: How long will it take to get me PA License to Carry Firearms?

A: Provided that you pass the background check, you should receive your PA License to Carry Firearms in the mail in approximately one week. If the application is considered new, we will process your application as soon as the two reference letters are returned to us. This could take anywhere from a week to a month. It depends on how fast your references complete their reference letters and send them back to us.
    Doesn't the PA law require that the sheriff make a decision within 45 days? If the wife's references don't respond, can they just put off processing the application?

I just find some trouble with this one. Any input?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Questions on LTCF Application Process in Snyder County

The Sheriff could use his/her discretion if the references dont reply. The Sheriff can deny on the grounds of character reference. ...a lack of reply could be construed as the references not wanting to say anything bad about her, so they dont say anything at all.

If you're in tight with the references, give them a friendly reminder to respond to the Sheriff.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Snyder County)

Yeah, I don't worry about her having enough references. She is a teacher and can get many other teachers, principals, or other professional acquaintances to give a reference.

But I was just wondering what the legality of that was. But I can see your point on the non-response being a negative point and issue to deny her permit. And believe me, when we go in to fill out the paper work, we will have talked to the references ahead of time.

But my second question is about cost. Now I know the cost isn't really a big deal. But in the PA UFA, it states:

18 PA C.C. §6109
    (h) Fee.-The fee for a license to carry a firearm is $19. This includes a renewal notice processing fee of $1.50. This includes an administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the act of July 6, 1984 (P.L. 614, No. 127), known as the Sheriff Fee Act. No fee other than that provided by this paragraph or the Sheriff Fee Act may be assessed by the sheriff for the perfor*mance of any background check made pursuant to this act. The fee is payable to the sheriff to whom the application is submitted and is payable at the time of application for the license. Except for the administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the Sheriff Fee Act, all other fees shall be refunded if the application is denied but shall not be refunded if a license is issued and subsequently revoked. A person who sells or attempts to sell a license to carry a firearm for a fee in excess of the amounts fixed under this subsection commits a summary offense.
    How can the sheriff charge $25 if this states the fee is only $19? Not like I plan on challenging him or anything. But just curious.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zef_66 View Post
    Yeah, I don't worry about her having enough references. She is a teacher and can get many other teachers, principals, or other professional acquaintances to give a reference.

But I was just wondering what the legality of that was. But I can see your point on the non-response being a negative point and issue to deny her permit. And believe me, when we go in to fill out the paper work, we will have talked to the references ahead of time.

But my second question is about cost. Now I know the cost isn't really a big deal. But in the PA UFA, it states:

How can the sheriff charge $25 if this states the fee is only $19? Not like I plan on challenging him or anything. But just curious.
    The law was changed.. They can lawfully charge somewhere around $30.

It is $19 for the LTCF, $5-$6 for the 24/7 database fee(enacted 2005 HB1717), and the Sheriff is allowed to charge upto $5 for photo service and/or plastic credit card type option - which is worth it over the official paper version, also cant find bill/law providing for fee - but I read it when it was enacted
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The law was changed.. They can lawfully charge somewhere around $30.

It is $19 for the LTCF, $5-$6 for the 24/7 database fee(enacted 2005 HB1717), and the Sheriff is allowed to charge upto $5 for photo service and/or plastic credit card type option - which is worth it over the official paper version, also cant find bill/law providing for fee - but I read it when it was enacted
    Thanks, I will keep looking.

(Jefferson County)

$25 is a good bargain compared to all other states, baring VT and AK.

Most other states are $50-$200, plus safety class fees of $20-$250.

Just hand the man a Jackson and a Lincoln and be happy... its not worth the hassle or attitude you could receive when questioning that small of a fee discrepancy. Many rural Sheriff's are working on extremely tight budgets - and buying digital cameras, software, plastic card machines, plus paying deputies to process applications really eats into their funds.

In reality we shouldn't have to get a LTCF, however for now we must do what we have to do to stay "legal". The Sheriffs for the most part are "with us" because they are one of "us" due to the people electing them. A couple bucks can go a long ways when multiplied by hundreds/thousands of applicants - whether it be into or out of the Sheriff's operating costs.

(Snyder County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    $25 is a good bargain compared to all other states, baring VT and AK.

Most other states are $50-$200, plus safety class fees of $20-$250.

Just hand the man a Jackson and a Lincoln and be happy... its not worth the hassle or attitude you could receive when questioning that small of a fee discrepancy. Many rural Sheriff's are working on extremely tight budgets - and buying digital cameras, software, plastic card machines, plus paying deputies to process applications really eats into their funds.

In reality we shouldn't have to get a LTCF, however for now we must do what we have to do to stay "legal". The Sheriffs for the most part are "with us" because they are one of "us" due to the people electing them. A couple bucks can go a long ways when multiplied by hundreds/thousands of applicants - whether it be into or out of the Sheriff's operating costs.

Thank you for your thoughts. And I agree that it is a bargain compared to other states. But as I said:

Not like I plan on challenging him or anything. But just curious.
    Even if I did find a discrepancy, I would not challenge it because that man holds the piece of paper I want. Sometimes you have to choose your battles. But I like to know all about the battles I have to choose. I have found (what I think is the final passing of) the bill that was passed HB 1717. I do see where this fee was increased *temporarily*. Again, I never planned on making a big deal out of this, I was merely curious.

Thank you again for all your help.

(Jefferson County)

You're welcome.

Tonite after work I'll see if I can find the bill/law stating the fee for photo/plastic card service. I read it late last fall, but never thought to copy it for records.