Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Defensive shooting training?

Defensive shooting training? In my training drills I practice (on a open range) draw and one hand fire (or the old point shooting) then weaver front sight then weaver full sight picture 3 shot in the same motion as attaining a weaver stance. Not necessarily a quick draw but controlled fire. Some would say this is a waste of ammo. I believe getting a shot into the torso of my attacker as quick as possible as a plus.

I find that I can get a close to center mass shot to the lower abdomen and chest (but hard to get a head 1st shot unless 5 yards an in and I do all three shots in the weaver) the front sight shot is where I want it and the full sight picture is where I aim. This is possible for me inside 5-15 yards.

This is a combination of old style point shooting, front sight shooting and tried and true full sight picture shooting methods.

Any suggestions Positive or negative that could help improve this drill?
    Last edited by Neko456; July 7th, 2010 at 12:43 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Defensive shooting training?

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Defensive shooting training? In my training drills I practice (on a open range) draw and one hand fire (or the old point shoo
    Question or statement?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Berks County)

I used to do similar drills at my range.....until I started doing 3-gun shoots!
    I'm not going to say your training isn't worth it...it is, but you'll never believe just how good 3-gun competitions are for "defensive" shooting until you try one. I've learned LOTS about myself and my equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    I used to do similar drills at my range.....until I started doing 3-gun shoots!
    I'm not going to say your training isn't worth it...it is, but you'll never believe just how good 3-gun competitions are for "defensive" shooting until you try one. I've learned LOTS about myself and my equipment.

I see 3 gun shoots as a totally different environment one scenario you are loaded to the bear with 3 guns and using offensive tactics the other its just you and 1 gun with a armed bad guy standing between you and safety he charging you with a knife or goes for his gun and you have to shot him 3 times.

Who is going to charge you with a knife if you pointing a 12 gauge at them? LOL.

I would enjoy 3 gun shooting but accept for charging a fortress name me a scenario where it could be used as a civilian? FMI.

(Berks County)

I see 3 gun shoots as a totally different environment one scenario you are loaded to the bear with 3 guns and using offensive tactics the other its just you and 1 gun with a armed bad guy standing between you and safety he charging you with a knife or goes for his gun and you have to shot him 3 times.

Who is going to charge you with a knife if you pointing a 12 gauge at them? LOL.

I would enjoy 3 gun shooting but accept for charging a fortress name me a scenario where it could be used as a civilian? FMI.
    Well, the range I do the 3-gun at is VERY good about setting up 4 courses of fire and different scenarios every month.....try walking down a dark hallway, shooting out windows at different heights & then having to do mag changes as well. One scenario had us removing our rifle from a trunk of a car and then taking out the "bad guys" with some "good" guys in between the bad ones. Removing the safety, racking the slide and doing mag changes on a pistol under "time" pressure is about as real as I want to get. I had an issues at one stage with bullets nose diving in my mag....it all makes you think while on your toes. The rifle and shotgun portion are just the "fun" part for me since I rely on my pistols for HD. I do however have my shotty stashed at a strategic location "just in case" though. Our courses are very realistic for the most part.....and hey, ANY practice is better than no practice!

Thumbs up Re: Defensive shooting training?

Defensive shooting training? In my training drills I practice (on a open range) draw and one hand fire (or the old point shooting) then weaver front sight then weaver full sight picture 3 shot in the same motion as attaining a weaver stance. Not necessarily a quick draw but controlled fire. Some would say this is a waste of ammo. I believe getting a shot into the torso of my attacker as quick as possible as a plus.

I find that I can get a close to center mass shot to the lower abdomen and chest (but hard to get a head 1st shot unless 5 yards an in and I do all three shots in the weaver) the front sight shot is where I want it and the full sight picture is where I aim. This is possible for me inside 5-15 yards.

This is a combination of old style point shooting, front sight shooting and tried and true full sight picture shooting methods.

Any suggestions Positive or negative that could help improve this drill?

I think it's great training like your coming out of walmart with a bag in one hand, not your shooting hand of course. In that scenario which is very likely to happen? YOU ARE READY...THUMB'S UP!!! I have a KIMBER SIS it's rear sight is just for such a scenario, it's made for one handed cocking. One hand could be useless for any number of reason's.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 8th, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

Quote Originally Posted by QUADZILLA View Post
    Well, the range I do the 3-gun at is VERY good about setting up 4 courses of fire and different scenarios every month.....try walking down a dark hallway, shooting out windows at different heights & then having to do mag changes as well. One scenario had us removing our rifle from a trunk of a car and then taking out the "bad guys" with some "good" guys in between the bad ones. Removing the safety, racking the slide and doing mag changes on a pistol under "time" pressure is about as real as I want to get. I had an issues at one stage with bullets nose diving in my mag....it all makes you think while on your toes. The rifle and shotgun portion are just the "fun" part for me since I rely on my pistols for HD. I do however have my shotty stashed at a strategic location "just in case" though. Our courses are very realistic for the most part.....and hey, ANY practice is better than no practice!

That does sound like fun and good training, if you are in a man hunt situation and come under fire. I like the fact that you are training and using 3 weapons but really in a self defense situation unless China attacks its not very practical but it sounds like fun!!!

Runnies111 - A Kimber SIS would be good medicine in almost any situation. But What? You don't carry cocked and locked? Hold you hand out for a spanking. A Vetran 1911 shooter not carrying Cocked and Locked, bad boy. One hand shooting has its places but in my drill its only for a second before I'm two handed shooting in a weaver.

Is there a reason for that???
    Last edited by Neko456; July 9th, 2010 at 10:54 AM.

(Berks County)

That does sound like fun and good training, if you are in a man hunt situation and come under fire. I like the fact that you are training and using 3 weapons but really in a self defense situation unless China attacks its not very practical but it sounds like fun!!!
    Interesting side note though....A lot of the 3-gun to me is "mental". For example at one stage we were shooting through a fence to a target only about an arms length away with our pistols....to me in MY mind, it played out as me shooting through an open car window at someone pointing a pistol at me & I have no option of retreating. In the "hallway" drill....it's just that to me...walking and moving down MY hallway shooting at multiple intruders. It's a mindset that I take on during a stage. It's my best time for this kind of practice since we can't set up obstacles at my own range. Granted, there aren't any reactive targets coming at me like I have seen at other tactical shoots.....but this SURE beats hands down any other type of static target shooting that I can do on my own.....and damn, it sure is fun (and cheap!).

Runnies111 - A Kimber SIS would be good medicine in almost any situation. But What? You don't carry cocked and locked? Hold you hand out for a spanking. A Vetran 1911 shooter not carrying Cocked and Locked, bad boy. One hand shooting has its places but in my drill its only for a second before I'm two handed shooting in a weaver.

Is there a reason for that???
    Yes Sir I most certianly carry C&L I was just using that as one of many reason's one hand may be unuseable so the SIS is ready for such.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(York County)

I just reconfigured my house to look like a pistol range. It was easier than all that training. Now if I can figure out how to get the attacker to dress like a silhouette, I'm safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast