Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default FTF Transfers....

OK simple question but I can't find a solid answer. I would like to buy a pistol but would like to do it FTF. Do you have to go through an FFL? Does it have to get registered? Thanks.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: FTF Transfers....

I do believe all hand guns have to be transferred through an FFL but no there is no hand gun registry - at least in PA.

I'm sure some one has the BATF site ready to be quoted.
    Last edited by KPShooting; July 7th, 2010 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lightsdarkness View Post
    OK simple question but I can't find a solid answer. I would like to buy a pistol but would like to do it FTF. Do you have to go through an FFL? Does it have to get registered? Thanks.
    Firearms aren't "registered" in Pennsylvania. You have two options for purchasing a handgun face-to-face from a private seller in Pennsylvania (with the assumption that it isn't a C&R handgun):

1) transfer it through an FFL

2) transfer it through a county sheriff or chief law enforcement officer

Option 2 is uncommon; most handgun transfers are done at gun dealers.

(Centre County)

First; ALL handguns sold (or transferred, as you don't HAVE to sell it, you can give it to someone for free) in PA have to go through a FFL (or the Sheriffs office) to legally do the transfer (with some limited exceptions). The buyer/transferee has to fill out the federal form (4473) and the state form (SP4-113, proper title is Application/Record of Sale) and undergo the background check performed by the PICS (Pennsylvania Instant Check System). If all goes well, the buyer/transferee walks out with the purchase (or gift).

Second; there is no legal registry of guns in PA. Some PD's use the database of sales (generated by the submission of the SP4-113) as a registry although legally they are not supposed to do this as it is NOT a registry, was never meant to be, and does not show any guns brought into the state from another state when someone moves here (so it is incomplete). This has been debated many times and there is no true solution in sight until PA gets a Governor and/or AG that reads the law correctly and flat does away with the SP4-113 and deletes the database completely.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; July 7th, 2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: modified
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    ...ALL handguns sold in PA have to go through a FFL (or the Sheriffs office) to legally do the transfer...
    Unless one of the very few exceptions apply, IIRC:
    - Parent & Child Transfer
    - Grandparent & Grandchild Transfer
    - Spouse Transfer

If it's not one of the above, you HAVE TO go through a FFL to transfer handguns.

(Lehigh County)

While we are on the subject, my father recently gave me and my brother a few pistols he had lying around and does not shoot anymore. is there anything that must be done in the way of a transfer?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyfac View Post
    While we are on the subject, my father recently gave me and my brother a few pistols he had lying around and does not shoot anymore. is there anything that must be done in the way of a transfer?
    NO, that is one of the exceptions. A parent to child, child to parent; grandparent to grandchild, grandchild to grandparent; and spouse to spouse (as long as the receiver is not a prohibited person) transfer of a handgun does not need any transfer paperwork completed, UNLESS the parties want to have it done and then it can be as simple as a document from the giver to the receiver saying that XXX (giver) gave the handgun to YYY (the receiver) on date ABC or as complicated as going to an FFL and doing all the federal and state paperwork.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

I am selling 2 handguns now and when I say FTF. I mean My face will see your face at chosen FFL Dealer to do the transfer.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    NO, that is one of the exceptions. A parent to child, child to parent; grandparent to grandchild, grandchild to grandparent; and spouse to spouse (as long as the receiver is not a prohibited person) transfer of a handgun does not need any transfer paperwork completed, UNLESS the parties want to have it done and then it can be as simple as a document from the giver to the receiver saying that XXX (giver) gave the handgun to YYY (the receiver) on date ABC or as complicated as going to an FFL and doing all the federal and state paperwork.
    Here's the statute:
    §6111 (c)
    (c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I am selling 2 handguns now and when I say FTF. I mean My face will see your face at chosen FFL Dealer to do the transfer.
    For some reason "my face will see your face" made me LOL at work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast