Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Calling all Century haters: It's time to say "I told you so!"

So, a while back on this forum I offered a pretty solid defense of Century as it relates to the Tantal. I bought one a couple years ago and haven't had the infamous keyholing problem.

Anyway, I expressed my opinion that a lot of the Century hate is the echo chamber effect and that people get pissed when they get a "cheap" gun cheap.

Well, call me Earl 'cause karma caught up to me.

I bought a Century VZ58 Clone. I have one from Czechpoint, and the CP one runs like a top. The Century one, not so much.

So, I go to the fun store to pick it up. First thing I do is a functions check, it doesn't fire on safe: great! It doesn't fire on "fire" either: not so great. I couldn't even get the receiver cover off.

I called Century and got a return number; they turned it around in less than a week. So when it came to my house, I did a functions check: all was as it should be. F=fire, S=safe.

I put it in the gunsafe. This past weekend was my first opportunity to shoot in quite some time. So I pulled out the VZ58 from Century and my new AK54R (read about this on another thread) and did a functions check on the VZ58 before going to the range. S=no fire. F=no fire. Can't get the receiver cover off.

I called Century, they were very nice, sent me a ups return lable via email and told me that they would exchange the rifle for another.

Can't argue with that.

I mentioned to them that my reciever had an X engraved in it, and asked whether that was a recalled weapon, i.e., did somebody else buy and return it under the same circumstances? Answer: yes.

Well, call me an optmist. Even though I've been burned, I'm still not hating Century. I knew what I was buying and after one or more tries, I'll probably eventually get a VZ58 clone that works as intended.

My other century guns work, but I certianly don't consider them as candidates for my SHTF contingency planning.

For those Century haters amoung you, commence with the I-told-you-so's!

Default Re: Calling all Century haters: It's time to say "I told you so!"

Wheres this "X" at??

More than likely the FCG wasn't lined up.

(Centre County)

Talking Re: Calling all Century haters: It's time to say "I told you so!"

I don't believe any of this until I see some pics!!!
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Calling all Century haters: It's time to say "I told you so!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stooperzero View Post
    Wheres this "X" at??

More than likely the FCG wasn't lined up.
    The bottom of the receiver by the mag well. I'm pretty familiar with the VZ58 through the Czechpoint one I have. Including assembley and disassembley. I think something's out of spec, I wouldn't know, because I can't get the receiver cover off when it's symptomatic.