Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Over oiled glock question.

So I know ever since I've gotten both my Glocks, I've been safe when I clean/oil them. My question is though what happens if you over oil them? Like today while oiling them on the one spot (picture included as attachment). The manual says for that spot ONE drop of oil, I don't know why, but i dropped at least 5 drops of oil there. So it had me curious.

Also I haven't gotten to 1,000 rounds through it yet, but when is a good time to use solvent with the oil? Mine really don't get dirty. Considering I wipe them down inside and out and oil after every time I go to the range ha. Yes, I do have OCD. lol.

I found a local store that has Break free stuff that clean lubs and protects, I might pick that up next time i get there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

Default Re: Over oiled glock question.

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    So I know ever since I've gotten both my Glocks, I've been safe when I clean/oil them. My question is though what happens if you over oil them? Like today while oiling them on the one spot (picture included as attachment). The manual says for that spot ONE drop of oil, I don't know why, but i dropped at least 5 drops of oil there. So it had me curious.

Also I haven't gotten to 1,000 rounds through it yet, but when is a good time to use solvent with the oil? Mine really don't get dirty. Considering I wipe them down inside and out and oil after every time I go to the range ha. Yes, I do have OCD. lol.

I found a local store that has Break free stuff that clean lubs and protects, I might pick that up next time i get there.
    To much oil is better than none. to much will in no way harm your Glock, it will be more messy..that's it
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnies111 View Post
    To much oil is better than none. to much will in no way harm your Glock, it will be more messy..that's it
    Wrong. The manual specifically states to not over do it with the oil/lube. Just one drop in the specified areas and a little on the rails is fine. Pay special attention to keep oil away from the striker channel. If it gets in there debris will stick to it and could potentially cause a problem/failure of some kind.
    Now less Glock, more H&K :)

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post
    Wrong. The manual specifically states to not over do it with the oil/lube. Just one drop in the specified areas and a little on the rails is fine. Pay special attention to keep oil away from the striker channel. If it gets in there debris will stick to it and could potentially cause a problem/failure of some kind.
    ^^^^^^^^^^ This.

A dry glock is better than an oily one.

I use 4 drops, one in each channel of the slide, one on the trigger assembly indicated in the pic, one on the barrel.

I shot 1500 rounds through my Glock 17 without cleaning, just to see if I could. Not a single FTF. I only cleaned it after that because I felt guilty, like I was neglecting it.

(Bucks County)

THIS!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(Allegheny County)

in general lubing a glock significantly more than the manual suggests will not cause any problems. running it bone dry will generally also not cause any problems. (i can attest to both from personal experience as well as research of others experiences.)

the one thing you do have to be careful of is to not get any lube in the striker channel. that is the one place where overlubing (which, for that spot is any lubing), can cause issues.

grease and oil trap dirt. what happens is that the lube in the striker channel traps dirt in there. it builds up over time and creates a sludge that prevents the striker from moving freely. this can cause light strikes (not enough striker momentum built up or even preventing the striker from extending all the way at all)and, thus, failures to fire.

as long as you keep all lube out of the striker channel, you do not have to worry about overlubing your glock. on the other hand, you generally, ime, do not need to worry about lubing it much at all if you do not feel so inclined.

ARs, on the other hand...(soaking wet)
    F*S=k

(Lancaster County)

Thanks guys. When I lube near that channel I use a qtip and just slide it around it so it doesn't go in there at all. Same thing with the barrel, just use a qtip and get it wet/lubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    OC.......do it for the boobies........

(Allegheny County)

missed these questions the first time around...

Quote Originally Posted by The Unknown 1087 View Post
    Also I haven't gotten to 1,000 rounds through it yet, but when is a good time to use solvent with the oil?
    whenever you want...or never...whatever floats your boat. personally, i never use solvent on my glocks. i just use CLP (Cleaner, Lube, Protectant) which is what the breakfree stuff you mentioned is, though, imho there are better brands of CLP--like FP-10 and WeaponShield--than BreakFree.

i generally clean my glocks with FP-10 about twice a year/every several thousand rounds. (i once went over a year and over 10k rounds without cleaning one...without any ill effects. i have also had stretches where i decided to clean and lube them after every range trip for awhile...also without any ill effects.)

i used to also just use FP-10 for lubing them, but i have, over the last couple of years, started lubing them with Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease instead. that stuff stays in place really well.

at any rate, bottom line is, when it comes to glocks, as long as you do not get lube in the striker channel, it seems to not really matter how much you do or don't clean and/or lube them.
    F*S=k

Quote Originally Posted by glockmaster View Post

At the Police academy we dunked one in used motor oil & it didn't miss a lick? This was year's ago when we were deciding to use Glock's or not....we did! Maybe the generation 1 was better?
    Last edited by Ronnies111; July 6th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Montgomery County)

Only issue I've had with any of my Glocks from over oiling is that the last round in every mag would fail to feed. It wouldn't eject the fired casing and a live round would be pointing straight in the air. After awhile of troubleshooting on my own I talked to a glock armorer and he said to try not oiling after my next cleaning and it worked. I still use oil but I'd say not even 3 drops and I wipe off ANY excess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast