Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: Nockamixon PGC range

there was never a 200 yd range at Nockamixon... as far back as 1988 at least.

25yd, 50 an 100.

200yd poster is cornfused
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

My first visit to this range was in the late 70's or very early 80's. There has never been a 200 yard range there. I think it started it out with only a 25 yard range and a 100 yard range. At some point they added the 50 yard range but im not sure when.

When I first started going there I recall it being pretty safe, but in the years that preceeded its closing things were just getting worse and worse from a safety standpoint. Looking back, Im actually surprised there was never a major incident....

(Montgomery County)

So, do we have confirmation that it's back open yet or not?

Proud member of:

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    there was never a 200 yd range at Nockamixon... as far back as 1988 at least.

25yd, 50 an 100.

200yd poster is cornfused
    Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    My first visit to this range was in the late 70's or very early 80's. There has never been a 200 yard range there. I think it started it out with only a 25 yard range and a 100 yard range. At some point they added the 50 yard range but im not sure when.
    There was a 200 yd range at some point in it's history, but not located at the current 100 yd range location. In fact, it's still there, just a lot worse for wear, as it's fully overgrown now. It probably got moved because of it's proximity to Sawmill Rd residences. Included is an aerial photo of the locations.

As for whether any improvements have been going on, I haven't checked. I'm moving out of the area, (to property big enough to build my own dang range) so it's no longer a concern for me.

(Bucks County)

I was by there 2-3 weeks ago and the gate was still locked. It was raining pretty hard otherwise I would of taken a walk to see what's going on.

(Bucks County)

I was deer hunting there about 2 hrs. ago. The range is still closed, piles of dirt on the range and no sign of progress.

(Cambria County)

Well, that doesn't surprise me. I don't believe they ever intended on reopening it when it was shut down. I believe all that "improvement" talk was just to keep objections suppressed, vs had they said they were closing it permanently. (since logically, there was little need for improvement and there are no down range risks as quoted by PGC)

(Bucks County)

They did plan to open it but the local residents stopped it. It won't be opening anytime soon either. Oh well.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...-of-range.html
    Politicians who fear the people seek to disarm them.

People who fear their government's intentions refuse to be disarmed.

One really has to wonder how many of those people moved into that are knowing there was a rifle range there...reminds of when I lived out in western MT...people would buy land that backed up to national forest land, knowing that there was a chance that logging operations would be going on in the area. Than when their area was finally going to logged they naturally raised a stink...

Sigh...Looks like I'll have to keep using that range in doylestown where I get yelled at everytime I look downrange the wrong way.

(Delaware County)

I started shooting there when I was 12 with my father which was 24 yrs ago and it was a great place for years to shoot. Then the same problems occurred that I have witnessed at French Creek just not nearly as bad. Hope it reopens and the the idiots of the world cant find it.

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    I was getting a launch permit friday at the park office on 563, and asked if he had heard anything about the range opening back up. He said he heard from the PGC folks that it will be open by this summer.

I have to concur with the above statements about unsafe practices there. Ive seen the same things, and in addition have been down range changing targets after the all clear was called and have had people start firing while I was still down there.

I had been going to that range since the mid 80's, and in the last two years before it was closed so more unsafe practices than ever. There were times when I was there alone (no shooting partner) and did not even feel comfortable leaving my guns unattended on the table while I went down to change targets, as there were some rather unsavory characters lurking around and I was afraid they would throw whatever was laying around on a table in their car and drive off.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast