Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolf in an AR

(Lycoming County)

Default Wolf in an AR

A little background, I bought a Bushmaster AR a couple weeks ago and up to this point I've only shot about Remington UMC out of it. A whopping total of 50 rounds so far....
    Last time I was shooting my friends left two 20 round boxes of Wolf .223. So call me an asshole but I decide it was better for me to shoot his ammo than to let it sit around neglected like that. I've let him shoot enough of my ammo over the years .....
    Looking at the ammo I found between the 40 rounds that 5 of them had rust on them and I wasn't going to shoot them.
    When shooting the gun misfired once and jammed( failure to feed) another time !

This kind of pissed me off because I was thinking about buying a large order of Wolf ammo for my AR but not now .
    On a side note all I feed my AK is Wolf 7.62 and it has function w/o a flaw

Could this be that I just had a bad batch of ammo ? or do some ARs just not like Wolf ammo ? Does the gun just need broken in more ? Who shoots Wolf in their ARs?

For the record I clean my AR two days before I shot this bad batch of Wolf because I was so damn bored. So it wasn't because the rifle was dirty .
    'Well, he shoulda armed himself,''~ Clint Eastwood Unforgiven

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Wolf in an AR

Quote Originally Posted by thejeanmachine16 View Post
    A little background, I bought a Bushmaster AR a couple weeks ago and up to this point I've only shot about Remington UMC out of it. A whopping total of 50 rounds so far....
    Last time I was shooting my friends left two 20 round boxes of Wolf .223. So call me an asshole but I decide it was better for me to shoot his ammo than to let it sit around neglected like that. I've let him shoot enough of my ammo over the years .....
    Looking at the ammo I found between the 40 rounds that 5 of them had rust on them and I wasn't going to shoot them.
    When shooting the gun misfired once and jammed( failure to feed) another time !

This kind of pissed me off because I was thinking about buying a large order of Wolf ammo for my AR but not now .
    On a side note all I feed my AK is Wolf 7.62 and it has function w/o a flaw

Could this be that I just had a bad batch of ammo ? or do some ARs just not like Wolf ammo ? Does the gun just need broken in more ? Who shoots Wolf in their ARs?

For the record I clean my AR two days before I shot this bad batch of Wolf because I was so damn bored. So it wasn't because the rifle was dirty .
    Many just don't like to eat it. I have a Bushmaster as well, and I got 40rds to try awhile back. I had the same problem. They wouldn't feed right, and wouldn't cycle right.

It's good you tried it out first though, before ordering bulk. That's always my advice. Sometimes your AR will take it, sometimes it wont. If it does, great. If not, just keep using some other cheaper brass cased ammo... no big deal.

But my guess, is that your AR just doesn't like it...

I've used PMC, UMC, and Federal most of the time, and NEVER had a problem with any of them. After thousands of rounds, no jams, misfires, etc..
    III%

(Allegheny County)

It causes shortstrokes in my 20" AR. Runs fine in my 16" CAR.
    Toujours prêt

If 5 of the rounds had rust on them then I would assume the ammo wasnt properly stored in the first place.

When it comes to Wolf ammo, you get what you pay for just like anything in life.

Its steel cases, the powder is not all that stable and tends to break down easy from heat. moisture is its big enemy because of the steel cases. not that moisture is a friend of brass cased ammo but it will destroy steel cased faster.

If you want to test the heat breakdown? let a box sit in your car for a week or so and see if it cycles your AR? BTDT

Now as far as shooting Steel cased ammo in an AR?

As long as you have a chrome lined barrel AND chamber and your rifle likes the stuff then blast away!

Once Wolf got rid of the laquer on the cases and went to polymer they got rid of the (glued cases in a hot chamber) problem.

Now if you arent running a chrome lined chamber? Then shooting steel cases is a no no that will result in an early barrel replacement if you ever want to return to brass cases.

The problem is that when carbon gets built up in and around the chamber. A small piece of carbon stuck between a brass case and chamber results in the brass forming around the carbon (brass is softer than the carbon and chamber steel). The same piece of carbon gets between a steel case and a steel chamber usually results in a scratched chamber. (chrome lined prevents it) so after many rounds of steel cases you end up with a seriously scratched chamber. Now go back to shooting brass cases and the brass tends to (mold) itself into the tiny little scratches that then grip it like sand paper and the round refuses to extract. At that point you either stay with steel cases or replace the barrel.
    Last edited by MaDuece; July 6th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

(Chester County)

I bought 250 rounds of Tula Russian ammo in .223 at Cabela's. Granted, it's about the same as Wolf, but for target shooting I think it's fine. Just gotta put up with a jam or failure to eject once in a while. Not a big deal to me

On a side note, I do have good ammo set aside though.

(Luzerne County)

This past weekend I shot over 200 rounds of Wolf MC through my 16" Bushmaster. Not one hiccup.

The only problem I ever had was due to the carbon build up in the chamber after shooting a lot of Wolf very fast. Cleaned the chamber and I was back in business.

(York County)

I have shot Wolf in my RRA AR with no issues. I will dirty the hell out of it but every gun gets dirty. If that happens clean it and move on. You will hear a lot of input on shooting wolf ammo but to get the best results go out and try it yourself. Aimpoint had a bulk buy and still does I believe of Wolf 1000 pack for $230 something. My shooting buddy bought it and out of the 500 he has shot has had no issues.

(Lancaster County)

It's kind of ironic to shoot Wolf out of your AR at coyotes.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

I shoot hundreds if rounds of steel case, laquer and polymer, rimfire through a conversion... And brass through my non chrome barrel without issue. Even back to back in the same day.

Even when it's smoking hot. I have thousands of rounds of steel case on the clock and nothing is scratched either.

No ftf, or fte to date.
    Ymmv...

(Berks County)

Both my STG-556 and my SCAR eat Wolf and other steel case ammo makes with no issue.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast