Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Question Switching it up from Sig to Beretta

Ok I have been using my SIG Pro 2022 .40 for my range gun and home defense since it has night sights and my Springfield XD Sub-Compact for my carry also in .40. However I am finding I am not shooting the Sig that ofter and the xd as much. I am selling both guns and going with a Beretta 92fs in stainless in 9mm and a Ruger LCP. Aside from finding a Beretta in stainless local which is seeming to be impossible, everyone is telling me I am going to regret going to Beretta from a Sig. Anyone want to chime in on that on maybe why they might be saying that aside from their personal preference? Thanks And I have shot a 92fs before and very much liked it.
    Last edited by STI; July 6th, 2010 at 10:47 AM.

(Elk County)

Default Re: Switching it up from Sig to Beretta

Welcome to the forum!

I cannot comment about the SIG Pro, but I have one 226, one 229, two 220s, and three 225/P6s. I can shoot almost all of them very well, and can hit claybirds standing on edge propped against a 2x4 about 80%-90% of the time. I say almost all of them, because the sight picture on the 229 is slightly different -- it's a combat sight picture which means covering the target with the front dot. I can't do a 4" claybird well with that sight picture, but the rest of the SIGs are murder on the clays.

Now to the Berettas -- I have a 92F, 92FS Centurion, 92FS Inox, and 92G all in 9mm, and a 96FS Inox in .40. I have no problem hitting the clays with any of the Berettas.

In fact, one of our favorite pastimes is to toss out several empty plastic pop bottles and "chase" them around the 25 yd, 35 yd (cowboy silhouette range), and 50 yd berms. The pop bottles and the dirt berms make for effective "reactive" targets, and if you don't hit a bottle, you can generally see where you hit the berm near it.

Conclusion: In my experience with my SIGs and Berettas, accurate "shootability" is a wash.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Montgomery County)

I wouldn't worry about any possible regret, unless you have never shot a 92. You didn't state whether or not you had previously shot one. Some people don't like them for numerous reasons, like being too large, not having a comfy grip that fits their hand well, etc. I love mine, and have no plans ever parting with it. I think every gun owner should have at least one Sig and one Beretta.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I cannot comment about the SIG Pro, but I have one 226, one 229, two 220s, and three 225/P6s. I can shoot almost all of them very well, and can hit claybirds standing on edge propped against a 2x4 about 80%-90% of the time. I say almost all of them, because the sight picture on the 229 is slightly different -- it's a combat sight picture which means covering the target with the front dot. I can't do a 4" claybird well with that sight picture, but the rest of the SIGs are murder on the clays.

Now to the Berettas -- I have a 92F, 92FS Centurion, 92FS Inox, and 92G all in 9mm, and a 96FS Inox in .40. I have no problem hitting the clays with any of the Berettas.

In fact, one of our favorite pastimes is to toss out several empty plastic pop bottles and "chase" them around the 25 yd, 35 yd (cowboy silhouette range), and 50 yd berms. The pop bottles and the dirt berms make for effective "reactive" targets, and if you don't hit a bottle, you can generally see where you hit the berm near it.

Conclusion: In my experience with my SIGs and Berettas, accurate "shootability" is a wash.

Best of luck to you moving forward!

Noah

Thank you I am glad I found a forum in my state and people who love the same things Hey thanks for the great input. I have shot a 92fs before and was very pleased with it. The 92fs Inox is what I am looking at atm. Given it is only for a range fun I am looking for a well rounded firearm in 9mm since .40 at the range is becoming expensive. Your clay bird ideas are something I am going to try at the range next time I am out which would be tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about any possible regret, unless you have never shot a 92. You didn't state whether or not you had previously shot one. Some people don't like them for numerous reasons, like being too large, not having a comfy grip that fits their hand well, etc. I love mine, and have no plans ever parting with it. I think every gun owner should have at least one Sig and one Beretta.
    Like I mentioned about I have shot one and made sure I added that to the OP lol I loved the 92 and how it shot, the recoil and the 9mm. The large factor I don't want to say is an issue as it will be in the safe or range bag most of the time. I could never imagine carrying that as a CW. People keep saying I will regret it, but if I never shoot it there isn't to much to regret I guess? Thanks for the input!

(Clinton County)

I don't sell guns, so I would say keep both. You can find good deals on 92fs.

I picked this one up for $350

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I don't sell guns, so I would say keep both. You can find good deals on 92fs.

I picked this one up for $350
    How in the world did you pick that up for $350!? The is a nice buy for that much

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    How in the world did you pick that up for $350!? The is a nice buy for that much
    here's the story on that gun

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/88...inox-like.html

I add the crimson trace laser grip

(York County)

I am also seeing people said it didn't fit in their hands, which kind of confused me why someone would put that opinion in. Either they have big or small hands that it doesn't fit or its to long?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I am also seeing people said it didn't fit in their hands, which kind of confused me why someone would put that opinion in. Either they have big or small hands that it doesn't fit or its to long?

Sounds bogus to me, but, to each his own.

I shoot an XD45 and the Mrs just could not shoot it comfortably with that double-stack grip, so we kept that in mind as we shopped for a gun that "fit" her a little better.

She purchased the Beretta Cougar 8045. She had a chance to shoot it before buying and fell in love with it instantly.

...and I have to admit the damn thing feels so good in my hands I think I like it better than my XD! And I wear a size 12 glove. FWIW, this is a 4" barrel and full-size grip.

Lately I added walnut grips to the thing and it's even sexier now. I just have a hard time with the thought that someone could actually be unhappy with either a Sig or a Beretta.

Afterthought... I can bring here Beretta with me to the Meet and Greet on the 31st if you would like to take a look at it.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Yeah that is true. I also shoot a XD40 Sub-Compact and my hands just barely fit the grip, even with smaller hands lol Walnut grips would def aside from making it look very nice would help with the feel. Which when I get one am going to add houge or Crimson trace to get rid of the plastic grips. I am very happy with my SIG but I think I need to move on to something I will shoot more, since it just sits in my safe =/ The .40 sig pro 2022 are really hard to find since no one wants to get rid of them, aside from me lol I have it up sale in the classifieds just the look, feel and response from the gun sells itself which is making it hard to let go lol

I also see you are right down the road from me as well. What ranges do you go to?
    Last edited by STI; July 6th, 2010 at 04:16 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast