Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Recommendation for AR 15

Hey everyone! I just bought a Rock River Arms Operator Elite Series. I was wondering what sort of optic to put on it. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=397.

My AR has the "dominator aperture sights" on it. I don't know whether I want a red dot, holo, or regular. Clearly if I had the cash and ACOG would be the way to go.

Also to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I saw this sig grip/tac light at the local shop...was wodnering if anyone knew anywhere cheaper or had any suggestions of other brands.

Thanks all!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Recommendation for AR 15

whats the gun for ?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by meb351 View Post
    Hey everyone! I just bought a Rock River Arms Operator Elite Series. I was wondering what sort of optic to put on it. http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=397.

My AR has the "dominator aperture sights" on it. I don't know whether I want a red dot, holo, or regular. Clearly if I had the cash and ACOG would be the way to go.

Also to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, I saw this sig grip/tac light at the local shop...was wodnering if anyone knew anywhere cheaper or had any suggestions of other brands.

Thanks all!

Why would you get an Acog? What do you wanna do with the gun?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

I'm using it for target shooting and plinking but I wanted the ACOG to see the accuracy of the ACOG plus they look cool but that's about it. My best friend is a LEO and has a Bushmaster and I wanted to be able to have better placement, accuracy, and a lower MOA than he did. I think I may want to see if I can get good enough with it to compete in target shooting contests.

(Luzerne County)

I think I may want to see if I can get good enough with it to compete in target shooting contests.
    Forget about the scope, shoot the irons. The premier target shooting event for AR15s is Highpower Service Rifle. No scopes allowed. If your gun and ammo are good, you should be able to shoot MOA with the irons at any distance out to 600 yards (my Colt will shoot one-half inch at 100 with the irons but that particular bullet doesn't work well at 600). 600 yards is prone slowfire for the service rifle. Forget the scope, spend the money on ammo or on reloading equipment. Shoot a lot. That's how ya get good.
    Pete
    Oops! Just took a look at your rifle. Forget Service Rifle. Your gun is not legal there. You could, however, shoot Highpower Match Rifle. Still only iron sights. Same course of fire as Service Rifle.
    P
    Last edited by Pete D.; July 5th, 2010 at 10:19 PM.
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by meb351 View Post

Thanks all!
    Missed the second question. I would stray from it. I have a light but no vertical grip. I want to retain as many options as possible, and combing a grip and a light is setting up for failure. Both grips and lights can be had for under $100. I would suggest a Viking Tactics light mount and perhaps a Magpul RVG.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/pop-lmc_g2.html
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...Blk&groupid=51

All of which are probably better quality and cheaper than the Sig combo.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

Well according to RRA that rail is designed for EoTechs only. I took her out the range yesterday and was great (45 rds in a 3in circle at 75yrds) with the dominators so for the times being I'm just going to use those. Partially because I was good with the irons and secondly $500 for an EoTech is too much.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Missed the second question. I would stray from it. I have a light but no vertical grip. I want to retain as many options as possible, and combing a grip and a light is setting up for failure. Both grips and lights can be had for under $100. I would suggest a Viking Tactics light mount and perhaps a Magpul RVG.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/pop-lmc_g2.html
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...Blk&groupid=51

All of which are probably better quality and cheaper than the Sig combo.
    Would you recommend the foregrip or the grip you can attach to the mags.

(Allegheny County)

Personally, I would run the vtac light mount and G2L. That is what I have on my HD gun now. I would consider the RVG because it is cheap, but the Gear Sector hand stop is ideal. You need to consider how the foregrip is used, it is an index, not a grip so much. You can see if you use it as a grip it will be less stable as it removes your support from the bore axis to below the bore axis.

I suggested the items above because I wanted to replace the exact items mentioned. Since we are discussing it, http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/177/

I held one and it was pretty much perfect, but I need a little more time to decide on it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Personally, I would run the vtac light mount and G2L. That is what I have on my HD gun now. I would consider the RVG because it is cheap, but the Gear Sector hand stop is ideal. You need to consider how the foregrip is used, it is an index, not a grip so much. You can see if you use it as a grip it will be less stable as it removes your support from the bore axis to below the bore axis.

I suggested the items above because I wanted to replace the exact items mentioned. Since we are discussing it, http://www.gearsector.com/view/product/177/

I held one and it was pretty much perfect, but I need a little more time to decide on it.

The only reason I'm asking is cause I have a half quad which will make my foregrip very far forward on the weapon and I feel that can over extend my profile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast