Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bradford County)

Default Taurus 65/66 357 Revolvers

Hello,

I was just a little curious about these revolvers and was wondering if anyone out there owns/has owned one. I like fixed sight revolvers and came across a NIB model 65 for $310 shipped. Now I'm fully aware of the internet public's opinions regarding Tauruses and I have also owned a couple myself. So, I was wondering if someone that has some first hand experience with this particular model could chime in. Are they the same size as a S&W K-frame? Or could they be a little bigger like the L-Frames? Also, do they have the flat on the forcing cone in the 6 O'clock position like K-frames as well? Any input would be appreciated!

Andy

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Taurus 65/66 357 Revolvers

I have held my Taurus 66 side by side against my S&W model 19 (k frame) and everything is identical. I am not sure about the flat on the forcing cone. Im going to have the safe open later so Ill look into that. Mine has been a good gun but it did have an issue which I sent it in for. A few years and a few hundred rounds into ownership the cylinder stopped locking and could be manually spun backwards. The gun was still worked but I had this taken care of regardless. It is as accurate as the Smith and looks as good as it truly is a carbon copy. You will no doubt be getting the spend 100 dollars more and find a used S&W comments so you may have to go with your gut instinct on this one. Heres my bottom line. If I had to choose between my 4 inch 357s the S&W 19 stays with me without a doubt. If I had to walk into harms way and all I had was my Taurus 66 I would be just as confident in my revolver as I would with a Smith or Ruger.

Last edited by bripro; July 5th, 2010 at 12:18 PM.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I have held my Taurus 66 side by side against my S&W model 19 (k frame) and everything is identical. I am not sure about the flat on the forcing cone. Im going to have the safe open later so Ill look into that. Mine has been a good gun but it did have an issue which I sent it in for. A few years and a few hundred rounds into ownership the cylinder stopped locking and could be manually spun backwards. The gun was still worked but I had this taken care of regardless. It is as accurate as the Smith and looks as good as it truly is a carbon copy. You will no doubt be getting the spend 100 dollars more and find a used S&W comments so you may have to go with your gut instinct on this one. Heres my bottom line. If I had to choose between my 4 inch 357s the S&W 19 stays with me without a doubt. If I had to walk into harms way and all I had was my Taurus 66 I would be just as confident in my revolver as I would with a Smith or Ruger.
    Great info! Thanks!

I do already own a few older S&W's and quite a few Rugers (Rugers being my favaorite). But honestly though, I think I would rather own a Taurus than one of the newer S&W's (old ones are another story...). At least Taurus hasn't switched to MIM as of yet and thier not quite as ridiculous with thier built-in lock. But that is just me. I was just curious because if the 65's aren't a bad revovler, that is a pretty good deal I think.

(Lancaster County)

I just checked my 66 and no it does not have the 6 o'clock forcing cone flat that the Smith does. You do know though, that Taurus does have the internal lock too. Its located on the hammer.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I just checked my 66 and no it does not have the 6 o'clock forcing cone flat that the Smith does. You do know though, that Taurus does have the internal lock too. Its located on the hammer.
    Yeah, I know they do too, but is far less obtrusive looking. Although I've heard of them having the potential for being problematic as well. One of the bazillion reasons why Ruger is my all time favorite.

Thanks for the additional info!