Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Re: anyone like squirrel hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by ca2pa View Post
    I hate to be the oddman out and ask, but what do you do when you kill a squirrel? do you eat them? just asking because when i was a kid my buddies and i used to just shoot em for the hell of it. Is that what you do here too? cuz its a lot of fun!
    I like to toss them in a crockpot with a can of cream of mushroom soup, let them cook all day ,, very good, next ones I get I am going to try them on the grill.

(Lycoming County)

Monday 10/15/07 I went out with a Remington 572 pump .22. Got one at about 20 yards, missed one and saw a few others as they vanished into the trees. I also saw a hawk, turkey buzzard, and a grouse. Came across a fair amount of good sized bear scat on the trail.

Another note to all, tuck paint legs into socks, spray flea and tick spray on pant legs to prevent ticks.
    I didn't listen to my own advise and woke up this morning (3:30 AM 10/16/07) with a painful area on the back side of my knee with a small tick attached.
    Jack

(Lycoming County)

Saw about 8 of the little Grey Ghosts today, wasn't able to hit any. Tomorrow the shotgun goes to the woods. Most of the sightings were just a glimpse as they scurried away. Its amazing at how quiet the grey's are, the chippies sound like a herd of elephants crashing through the leaves.
    Jack

(Columbia County)

its odd during archery there all over then when there in they disapear go figure i use an old marlin 101 single shot .22
    ZRT: SECTOR 3(SNIPER) Among othe tasks...

(Venango County)

Go sit in your tree stand, like you do in archery

I'd rather you shot down instead of up anyway, LOL

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

I like to squirrel hunt, just hard finding time. I deer hunt every possible day, so that doesn't leave much small game time. I try to squeeze some in during the two week down time between archery and rifle season.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

while we're on the subject i'd like to ask a question. if you're using a shotgun for squirrel hunting, what load is best? also are the little critters still edible once you shoot them with so many holes? can you use non-lead shot or does the shot normally just pass right through them? I'm a huge n00b, so please bear with me. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by righteousbarbarian View Post
    while we're on the subject i'd like to ask a question. if you're using a shotgun for squirrel hunting, what load is best? also are the little critters still edible once you shoot them with so many holes? can you use non-lead shot or does the shot normally just pass right through them? I'm a huge n00b, so please bear with me. thanks.

It may be overkill, but I use #6 high brass. Those little buggers have a very tough hide. I've shot plenty that hit solid fell 80ft from a hemlock hit the ground and took off like a rocket never to be seen again.

Try to aim for the head. When you skin one you'll get it. You'll peel back the hide and most of the pellets will be caught in the hide.

Or you could use a .22
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lycoming County)

Yesterday I tumbled one from a tree with #6 shot. From the way he fell I would have bet he was mine. Well luck has it an he was no where to be found.

went out again today, weather was nasty, rain and an very thick fog. I saw three today with a missed shot at one. All of them were on the ground and would not tree.

Hunted all week, with two days coming home empty handed. It was a great week though, saw 2 grouse, 5 turkeys, some bear scat, whitetail deer scrapes. Started the week toting a .22 pump. Traded off for a shotgun for the balance.

I read an article where the writer stated that he uses a shotgun for early season, when the leaves are on the trees, and a 22 for late season. Seemed to me to make good sense. Throw in the fact that I can't hold the 22 still enough to take a head shot free hand.
    Jack

(Adams County)

Heck yeah, squirrel hunting is a hoot. Definitely eat them. Dredge in flour, salt/pepper, pan fry in bacon drippings. Good stuff. Be sure to have a few biscuits on hand.

I used a 870 20ga in the past. Noticed too much meat damage. Switching to a scoped 22LR Ruger Single Six Hunter this year...guess who's coming home empty handed more this year...

How 'bout these little critters knowing where the no-shoot zones are, eh? Sheesh...they know the deal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast