Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default Somerset Police hassles young folks OC'ing but it is none of us old folks concern

Last evening JavaProgrammer, Kim Stolfer, and myself went to Somerset Tea Party. Kim was speaking. Of course Java and myself were OC'ing our AR's as well as sidearm’s. Before we started setting up the FOAC tables 2 of Somerset’s finest decided to pat a little visit. They said it was because they were getting flooded with MWAG 911 calls. First thing this was most likely BS and they just saw us from the cameras around the Court House. They told Java to step over away from the rest of us because they wanted to speak to him. (Java's) AR had a flag in the muzzle, mine was loaded with no muzzle obstruction. I noticed they were demanding ID from Java so I decided to intercede. I was told it was none of my concern even though I was carrying a carbine that looked much more menacing then Java's 20" NM rifle. They asked me for ID as well and I told them my name and that was all the ID they were entitled to. I did mess up by giving them my DOB. Java followed my lead and verbally gave them his name. We also had one of the folks for the Tim Burns Campaign video taping the encounter. After a bit of back and forth that we have to comply I notified Officer Jeremy Holderbaum that this encounter is terminated. The other officer and the one in the unmarked car would not identify themselves. Kim said that I should have seen the look on his face when I said that and turned and walked away from him. Java then asked several times if he was being detained and when they noticed they were being video tapped they said no.
    This seems like a clear case they wanted to pick on the “stupid” young guy and didn’t anticipate to run into some folks that actually knew the law. They really didn’t like when I told them according to Hawkins v.s. Commonwealth that the mere carrying of a firearm was no RAS/ Probable Cause for a stop much less a detainment. So all in all it was a learning experience for Java and the 1st time he has been stopped. It was also a learning experience for the 2 officers because they are not used to people standing up for their Rights much less excursing them. This is the beginning of Somerset’s learning experience as I will be planning an OC Dinner for Somerset in the near future and will be speaking to the Mayor as well as the Chief of Somerset Borough Police Dpt.

P.S. I would like to say Java Programmer handled himself very well for his 1st unfriendly Police encounter.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by edstephan; July 5th, 2010 at 12:25 AM.
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Somerset Police hassles young folks OC'ing but it is none of us old folks concern

You go boy!!!!

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Somerset Police hassles young folks OC'ing but it is none of us old folks concern

Thank You

(Jefferson County)

Nice job handling yourself.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Somerset County)

This may be a dumb question but, was this Somerset in Somerset County?

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
    This may be a dumb question but, was this Somerset in Somerset County?
    Yep, Right in front of the court house.

Ed Stephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by edstephan View Post
    Yep, Right in front of the court house.

Ed Stephan
    Thanks I guess I should have looked at the scanned business card you had posted! I didn't know there was going to be one there, or I would have went myself. You were right across the road from the Somerset County 911 center so that may be why they "got" all the MWAG calls!

Quote Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
    Thanks I guess I should have looked at the scanned business card you had posted! I didn't know there was going to be one there, or I would have went myself. You were right across the road from the Somerset County 911 center so that may be why they "got" all the MWAG calls!
    That is TOO funny!

Good job, guys. Carry on. [pun intended]

(Adams County)

Great job! They probably went after the young guy, not because they thought he was stupid, but they probably believed he was least likely to afford a lawyer to go after them.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    Great job! They probably went after the young guy, not because they thought he was stupid, but they probably believed he was least likely to afford a lawyer to go after them.

camper
    No, they always go after the young guy because they are less likely to know the laws and their Rights.
    But this time they ran into a buzz saw called FOAC, a gun Rights org.

Ed Stephan

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast