Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Rep Comments

Default Rep Comments

I haven't seen this discussed lately so I figured i'd just make a new thread instead of reviving one like the last one about reinstating neg rep.

Whats the *current* stance on rep/neg rep comments? IIRC, Dan used to basically say since it's not "on" the forum there is nothing they(forum staff) are going to do as far as infractions/bans go as long as there's nothing illegal going on, but recently(since its been back) I've seen members get perma banned for "trolling" with their negative rep so I figured it'd be best to just ask so everyone knows whats what.

Also, if rep comments do fall under the poofer staff's jurisdiction whats the best way to report it?

****I'm not looking for peoples personal opinions, just the official stance of danp so please don't fill this thread w/ useless comments about how you feel people should act.****************

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Rep Comments

I'll let an admin give an "official" statement, but as far as I'm concerned, people should be held to the same standard as they are publicly when they type things in the rep comment box.

Now, if JimBobShooterX sends me a PM telling me that ShootinBlanx4X4 called him an "idiot" in a neg rep comment, I'm going to say "get over it", but if he said "You effing piece of sh!t - go screw your dead mother - worthless (censored - you wouldn't believe the vile stuff people write) and I hope you die!"... well, I wouldn't have any issue with giving Mr. ShootinBlanx an extended vacation.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I'll let an admin give an "official" statement, but as far as I'm concerned, people should be held to the same standard as they are publicly when they type things in the rep comment box.

Now, if JimBobShooterX sends me a PM telling me that ShootinBlanx4X4 called him an "idiot" in a neg rep comment, I'm going to say "get over it", but if he said "You effing piece of sh!t - go screw your dead mother - worthless (censored - you wouldn't believe the vile stuff people write) and I hope you die!"... well, I wouldn't have any issue with giving Mr. ShootinBlanx an extended vacation.
    Can't say it wouldn't make for a more friendly feeling forum at time.

It would be nice to get some guidelines and such though if we are going to moderate those now. Perhaps some direct links to the mods profiles so we don't need to go searching(search feature here suuucks) when we need to report something too.

(Philadelphia County)

Formal decisions on how to handle such usage of reputation comments is still being discussed internally, once we decide how to move forward we'll make sure everyone knows.

Also, if you follow the "Forum Leaders" link (that is admittedly not easy to see) at the bottom of the forum homepage, you can see a list of all admins/moderators at any given time.
    Last edited by danp; July 4th, 2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    Formal decisions on how to handle such usage of reputation comments is still being discussed internally, once we decide how to move forward we'll make sure everyone knows.

Also, if you follow the "Forum Leaders" link (that is admittedly not easy to see) at the bottom of the forum homepage, you can see a list of all admins/moderators at any given time.
    Fair enough, thanks.

One quick question then feel free to close this thread as to avoid anyone stepping in and causing unneeded drama. If you decide rep comments won't be moderated will the permanent bans recently given be lifted?

(Montgomery County)

why would any recent bans be lifted?

also, rep comments ARE moderated, to an extent, we can see them, and abusive behavior will not be tolerated.

we have already gotten reports of neg rep abuse, and abusive comments, and have removed posters for it.

basic guideline, if you cant post the comment in public on the board because you'll get an infraction, dont feel free post the comment in rep in that manner.

neg rep is NOT a way to bypass the personal attacks rule, or any other rule... see how EM termed it.
    Last edited by JayBell; July 4th, 2010 at 07:56 PM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    If you decide rep comments won't be moderated will the permanent bans recently given be lifted?
    My understanding is that it's not a question of IF they will be moderated, but where the line will be drawn. In the cases already addressed, there was no question that wherever the line ends up being established, it had been crossed by more than a little.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    why would any recent bans be lifted?

also, rep comments ARE moderated, to an extent, we can see them, and abusive behavior will not be tolerated.

we have already gotten reports of neg rep abuse, and abusive comments, and have removed posters for it.

basic guideline, if you cant post the comment in public on the board because you'll get an infraction, dont feel free post the comment in rep in that manner.

neg rep is NOT a way to bypass the personal attacks rule, or any other rule... see how EM termed it.
    I would think it would only be fair that someone would get unbanned if it was later determined what they did wasn't a banable offense, but per gnbrotz's comment anything relating to that may have been discussed in detail already, and really it's not my problem or business as obviously it hasnt directly affected me. It was just a general question to see if mistakes would be owned up to or not.

Those guidelines are more than reasonable, but the problem is they are once again coming from a mod and not an admin. I'm not looking to change anything, just get some clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    My understanding is that it's not a question of IF they will be moderated, but where the line will be drawn. In the cases already addressed, there was no question that wherever the line ends up being established, it had been crossed by more than a little.
    Good to know, and again no problem with any of that.

Now who wants to deal w/ the name calling in my rep comments?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post

Now who wants to deal w/ the name calling in my rep comments?
    should we deal with people "catching up" on neg repping first, or people "retaliatory" neg repping first? theres a saying around about glass houses and throwing stones i think...

I've already admonished the user who called names, however, as you say, without an "OFFICIAL" admin policy, me being "only a mod" I'm not going further than a warning.

as you suggest... closing this til Dan has his say.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply