Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default M16 Jammed today

Using a locally made upper that has about 3,000 round through it without failure. The upper contains a DSA barrel and Panther FA bolt. No idea who made the actual upper receiver. Upper is 11.5" and when I got it the upper would not run (at all) until I added boosted extraction. It has since run about 3,000 rounds without a single jam. I was clean, and lubed, but not detail cleaned.

The jam was a simple failure to feed. At a very inopportune time. I was doing a Beta dump in FA. Other details include that I haven't put the graphite in this Beta mag the last three times I loaded it, and the offending round (Privi M193) had the bullet setback into the case as far as it could go with the case mouth hung on the chamber. I'm glad it didn't feed and fire and was probably stupid to remove it and simply continue to dump the mag.

About 4 other mags went without a hitch with that upper. Of course, no other problems with 2 other uppers.

(York County)

Default Re: M16 Jammed today

If this is the same one you were using to shoot .22s at Pennsy's birthday, That rifle doesn't owe a better proof to anyone, IMHO.

That thing was FILTHY by the time everyone was done with it, but it was still going.

It would be great if our arms NEVER had any kind of failure, but that seems a little impractical. Hopefully this FTF is an isolated incident.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

The nonsense is in the upper with these rifles. A Colt M16-A1 with a .22 caliber upper is not even remotely an M16, but it is a miracle

This was my blasting upper, with no Colt parts. Not that it matters, just could have been my time.

If you saw that Prvi round, you would be happy it didn't feed and fire. Not sure if the jam caused the round or the round caused the jam, but that setback is not supposed to happen under any circumstances. There is blame for the round either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Using a locally made upper that has about 3,000 round through it without failure. The upper contains a DSA barrel and Panther FA bolt. No idea who made the actual upper receiver. Upper is 11.5" and when I got it the upper would not run (at all) until I added boosted extraction....
    I ran into the same issue with the same barrel length on an M16A1. In my case, it turned out to be a combination of factors...the barrel and also the buffer return spring. I put a collapsing stock on it, and initially *didn't* switch to the correct buffer spring.

It caused short cycling and stoppages in auto, but ran fine in semi.

Apparently the shorter barrel changes the pressure impulse back to the carrier, and the shorter stock (spring) also changes the equation.

I specially ordered the correct spring, I recall it was here:
    Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters
    1330 Center Ave.
    Pittsburgh, PA 15229
    (412) 766-6100
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Montgomery County)

I would bet money the set back was caused by the jam. It was hit pretty hard by the bolt coming forward and it not going into the chamber.

I know you (and me too) shoot a lot of the privi m193 and i check all my rounds before they get loaded or put in the ammo can. I've never seen any that were as bad as what you are saying. A small amount of set back would not be noticable to the eye though. I wish i got a chance to see it. I didn't get good look see but was it a double feed or did it just miss going into the chamber?

The nonsense is in the upper with these rifles. A Colt M16-A1 with a .22 caliber upper is not even remotely an M16, but it is a miracle

This was my blasting upper, with no Colt parts. Not that it matters, just could have been my time.

If you saw that Prvi round, you would be happy it didn't feed and fire. Not sure if the jam caused the round or the round caused the jam, but that setback is not supposed to happen under any circumstances. There is blame for the round either way.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    I would bet money the set back was caused by the jam. It was hit pretty hard by the bolt coming forward and it not going into the chamber.
    Certainly could be. No military crimped round should do that under any circumstance. A jam should NEVER cause setback in a military crimped round.

I know you (and me too) shoot a lot of the privi m193 and i check all my rounds before they get loaded or put in the ammo can. I've never seen any that were as bad as what you are saying. A small amount of set back would not be noticable to the eye though. I wish i got a chance to see it. I didn't get good look see but was it a double feed or did it just miss going into the chamber?
    The round was fine when loaded. It was not a double feed. The fired round ejected, the feed round stripped, the case mouth of the feed round hit the circumference of the chamber and stopped. The extracted round that was jammed had only the very tip of the projectile sticking out. It was complete setback during feeding. Not saying that caused the jam, I have no idea. But that does not happen with military ammo under any circumstances. The round was flawed, whether it caused the jam or not.

Had it chambered, you'd probably be leaving the hospital right now having determined I was going to be OK.

I showed the jammed round to a number of people, I guess you missed it. It was as bad as it could be.

(Northampton County)

Another thing happened today. We had a Federal 9mm FMJ round that was struck HARD that didn't go off. I haven't seen a centerfire cartridge fail to touch off in at least 15 years. I guess our M16 and ammo lottery numbers just came up today. Not really surprising. It happens.

But we had a great time

(Allegheny County)

I had a Barnaul Brown Bear round do this last month. Hit the feed ramp and it shoved the bullet into the case. It didn't feed. (tfg) Had it, you'd be reading about me... And not from me.

It was an AK though. Shhh... Don't tell the fanboys.

It set back so far just the tip was visible... I still have it and cringe whenever I look at it.

But we had a great time
    Yes we did. I'm working on the video. I have a full record of this one, if you want it posted.

(Northampton County)

No thank you

It ruined one hell of a streak!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast