Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Replacing Sights on CZ-75 SP-01 Phantom

I got the pistol w/night sights, but not tritium. I ordered a set of Meprolight sights (triple-checked to confirm they're the correct P/N), and now, the fun begins:

There's a set-screw holding the rear sight down. That came out easily enough, but the rear sight itself is a different story. Before I go on, I notice the replacement rear sight has no hole for a set-screw. Fine with me, as it seems like it'll take a jack-hammer to move them.

Has anyone done this on this pistol? I'd like to save the existing sights, but it they need the kind of muscle that'll all but destroy them, that's fine. I don't have a CZ or Universal sight pusher (have one for Glocks, but it can't be made to work), so I attemped the vise, punch, and hammer technique. Let me tell ya, those rear sights aren't budging. Something I'm missing, or do I really need to get medieval on those things?

The front sight looks like another joyous project. Need to either drill a hole or cut a half cylinder somewhere in the front sight, such that it's secured by the pin. I'm about ready to have a Gunsmith do it, but I haven't given up yet.

Any advise?

Thanks as always.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Replacing Sights on CZ-75 SP-01 Phantom

The last one I did I tapped out with a brass punch and a peice of leather in between the punch and the sight. I'm pretty sure the dovetail is directional and they tap out one way. Measure both sides of the doevtail and you can figure it out.

If I recall correctly, both the front and back sights needed filed to install. I wiped the sight bottom across a file.....one stroke each each way (don't get sloppy and go one direction for the sake of time)...until the depth was right and they were pretty much flush with the slide (note: filing the bottom drop the sight height and also shortens the width fo the sigth dovetail so check the fit OFTEN). I may have filed one of the angles until the rear sight would go into the dovetail...usually getting the sight to start and then tap in with the punch again. For the front sight you can lay a small drill bit across it and hone the notch for the roll pin.

I've done a couple of those and that's what I remember.

Lycangoodluckthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    The last one I did I tapped out with a brass punch and a peice of leather in between the punch and the sight. I'm pretty sure the dovetail is directional and they tap out one way. Measure both sides of the doevtail and you can figure it out.

If I recall correctly, both the front and back sights needed filed to install. I wiped the sight bottom across a file.....one stroke each each way (don't get sloppy and go one direction for the sake of time)...until the depth was right and they were pretty much flush with the slide (note: filing the bottom drop the sight height and also shortens the width fo the sigth dovetail so check the fit OFTEN). I may have filed one of the angles until the rear sight would go into the dovetail...usually getting the sight to start and then tap in with the punch again. For the front sight you can lay a small drill bit across it and hone the notch for the roll pin.

I've done a couple of those and that's what I remember.

Lycangoodluckthrope
    Well, I got the rear sight out, and just ordered some Birchwood Casey Super Black touch-up. So, that might give you an idea of how it went. There was residual "gunk" (I'm guessing super glue) under the rear sight once I got it off, and it took a punch with a hammer, a hammer, and literally, just plain brute force. The replacement went in much easier, and it's not going anywhere. Why anyone would used glue (it wasn't red or blue, so I'm thinking not Loctite), is beyond me. Anyway, live and learn. I'm not sure what I learned, but I'm going to think of it as a self-done project that added "character" to the gun.

As for the front sight - haven't tackled it yet. Does that roll pin have to come out? If so, what in the name of Josef and František Koucký will remove it?

Thanks again!
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Lawrence County)

Yeah, the roll pin locks the front sight in and it will then pull out the front.

I used a small steel punch from Sears.

Lycanahcharacterthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Montgomery County)

As best I can tell after a little research, it's either 1/16th, 5/64th or 2mm. If Sears, Lowe's or Home Depot is open tomorrow, I'll resume working on it. Thanks!

I changed the sights on my Glock and had almost as much fun. I made a jig out of 2x4's to hold the slide in place, then beat the hell out of it with a hammer and brass punch. Great idea using the leather, my rear sight was brass colored for a few months but finally wore off. I always get a lot of satisfaction doing things myself instead of paying someone else to do it. Installing sights really isn't hard, I'm surprised more guys don't try it themselves. Sounds like you got the hard part finished, those roll pins come out easy with the right size punch. Getting it back in might be fun.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    I changed the sights on my Glock and had almost as much fun. I made a jig out of 2x4's to hold the slide in place, then beat the hell out of it with a hammer and brass punch. Great idea using the leather, my rear sight was brass colored for a few months but finally wore off. I always get a lot of satisfaction doing things myself instead of paying someone else to do it. Installing sights really isn't hard, I'm surprised more guys don't try it themselves. Sounds like you got the hard part finished, those roll pins come out easy with the right size punch. Getting it back in might be fun.
    Having a sight pusher (which I do for the Glocks) certainly makes it easier, but in the case of the CZ, for one gun, one-time use, I wasn't about to spend the money. And, I agree - It's more rewarding to do it yourself. Now, if it was some kind of collector piece, I wouldn't have been pounding on it with a hammer, but then again, in that case, I'd have left it "stock" anyway. Work will resume today, and I can't imagine the front sight being any more difficult than the rear. That was a beast!

(Montgomery County)

Well, the front sight is on, after drilling/filing the notch in the bottom of the new one. It's done, but I won't ever replace sights on another CZ. What a job.