Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default 5w20 synthetic motor oil

I have been tossing around the idea of using synthetic motor oil 5w20 as a lubricant for my guns. It started as an idea for my AK cause the thing is blazing hot after just a few rounds, I have had no problems with it but I have been using Eezox since I got it but I have only put about 150 rounds through it so far. I know some of you guys have used motor oil and I would like to know how it's going before I start using it. Are there any problems? I would like to use it for my pistols also if it works OK, but I currently use Breakfree CLP and Eezox and am satisfied with both but would like to use the motor oil as a lubricant if there is any advantage.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: 5w20 synthetic motor oil

I use auto. motor oil on some of my shotguns and I dont have a problem with them.

IMHE, some firearms are finicky regarding lube. Some like it, some dont.

In a pinch, I've used motor oil on my rifles and handguns.

One drop of the stuff is often too much. A quart is a lifetime supply lol.

I try to stay away from the synthetic motor oil for firearm use. I dont really know why ... they are known to lubricate better than non-synthetic lol.

Also, there are plenty of degreasers on the market that are specially formulated for motor oil and easily found.

(Philadelphia County)

I have used 5w30 mobil one on my glock once when I was out of clp. It worked fine, but I have restocked the break free clp and continue to use just that.

(Washington County)

150 rounds and you cleaned it? You using that Yugo brass (slightly corrosive)?

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    150 rounds and you cleaned it? You using that Yugo brass (slightly corrosive)?
    No Wolf ammo, just fanatical about my guns being clean. I don't know why but I hate a dirty firearm, anyone who as ever gotten one in trade or bought one from me know I keep them spotless it makes me feel better when they're clean.

Quote Originally Posted by biggs88 View Post
    I have used 5w30 mobil one on my glock once when I was out of clp. It worked fine, but I have restocked the break free clp and continue to use just that.
    I am going to agree with you on this I cleaned my guns yesterday and the CLP didn't remove all the oil but kind of pushed it around some, the gun was clean but I don't like the oil remaining on my firearms. I still may use it for my AK.

(Philadelphia County)

Try wheel bearing grease. I used it on M1 and it lasted forever.
    Handguns are like smoke detectors...one for every floor in your house.

(Bucks County)

Are any of those shot guns autos?

Autos get temperamental with too much lube or not enough.

All you need is a little, little.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    I have been tossing around the idea of using synthetic motor oil 5w20 as a lubricant for my guns. It started as an idea for my AK cause the thing is blazing hot after just a few rounds, I have had no problems with it but I have been using Eezox since I got it but I have only put about 150 rounds through it so far. I know some of you guys have used motor oil and I would like to know how it's going before I start using it. Are there any problems? I would like to use it for my pistols also if it works OK, but I currently use Breakfree CLP and Eezox and am satisfied with both but would like to use the motor oil as a lubricant if there is any advantage.
    No problem using synthetic motor oil. I have used Mobile1 on AR's and Pistols.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Allegheny County)

I think the sooner people realize that oil is oil and grease is grease life will be cheaper. Granted, some oils have different purposes, but for what we do, motor oil and bearing grease is pretty decent. Grease can be a little more tricky, but still can be cheaper.

What people fail to see is a gun is a machine, like a car or bike. Moving parts on the car are faster, tighter, and just as hot. What makes motor oil bad?
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast