Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Mag.

(Cumberland County)

Default 22 Mag.

Ok, I know my answer to this, but wanted to get others thoughts. I have posted about the S&W 325 PD .45 revolver, but I also like the 351 PD in 22 mag.. My question is does anyone carry a 22 mag and is it in any way adequate ? I know that a well placed round will do the trick no matter what, and although thought is that a .40 or .45 will knock someone down is not true - I was just curious if there is any merit to carrying a 22 mag ?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: 22 Mag.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Ok, I know my answer to this, but wanted to get others thoughts. I have posted about the S&W 325 PD .45 revolver, but I also like the 351 PD in 22 mag.. My question is does anyone carry a 22 mag and is it in any way adequate ? I know that a well placed round will do the trick no matter what, and although thought is that a .40 or .45 will knock someone down is not true - I was just curious if there is any merit to carrying a 22 mag ?
    I wish I had a picture of a .22 mag bullet next to a .45 slug. That would be your answer right there. The only application I see for .22 caliber defense guns is deep, deep cover weapons, and as a BUG to a BUG. But then you're talking about something tiny like a NAA Mini. The 351 isn't small like that. Why carry a bigger firearm that shoots a smaller round? Get the .45. You won't regret it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Chester County)

I am in a cover band that plays alot of shows and I am around ALOT of drunk people or people high on whatever. Actually at my last show I guy totally out of it came up to me between sets and said how he always shoots up heroine before he goes out. What a scumbag creep. At every show, since there is not much room for else on stage, I carry a NAA mini revolver chambered in .22 mag. The bullet isn't a .45 by any means but ballistics shows it tumbles when it enters flesh type material. And of course, I would not want to be on the receiving end of it. IMO, if you absolutely had to draw and fire a .22 mag round at another human being aim for vital spots, and if they are not on PCP the threat should be neutralized.

BUT I stick up for the .22 mag round because I carry it ONLY when there is nothing else I can carry. During the winter and in the woods my carry gun is a ruger blackhawk in .45 colt and during summer my carry gun is a ruger lcr in .38 special. Hope this helps in some small way.
    Last edited by c_brutsche; July 4th, 2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: mistype word

(Luzerne County)

I own an S&W model 648 revolver in 22 magnum. I carry it around my property. Since it has a 6 inch barrel, I don't cc it. Don't be fooled about it. It is NOT a 22lr. It packs a lot more punch. Sure, a 45, 44mag, 357, and 38 are proven stoppers, but the 22 mag can be effective. I've downed a coyote and chucks with one shot. A 22 mag head shot will not disappoint you.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    I own an S&W model 648 revolver in 22 magnum. I carry it around my property. Since it has a 6 inch barrel, I don't cc it. Don't be fooled about it. It is NOT a 22lr. It packs a lot more punch. Sure, a 45, 44mag, 357, and 38 are proven stoppers, but the 22 mag can be effective. I've downed a coyote and chucks with one shot. A 22 mag head shot will not disappoint you.
    Yeah, I want to check out the stats on 22lr vs 22 mag some more. Not sure I would ever feel comfortable carrying the 351PD for protection - just thought a 7 round, 10.8 round snubbie might be interesting - and I had heard the 22 mag was pretty impressive for its size.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I wish I had a picture of a .22 mag bullet next to a .45 slug. That would be your answer right there. The only application I see for .22 caliber defense guns is deep, deep cover weapons, and as a BUG to a BUG. But then you're talking about something tiny like a NAA Mini. The 351 isn't small like that. Why carry a bigger firearm that shoots a smaller round? Get the .45. You won't regret it.
    Yeah, I have plenty of 38's, 357's, 40's, 45's, 9's etc, guess I was just curious about the 22 mag round - I had heard some fairly good thing about it. Just not sure of the practicality of a 7 round revolver in 22 mag - although it is just 10.8 oz's

(Cumberland County)

In case you have not seen teh 351PD
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Yeah, I have plenty of 38's, 357's, 40's, 45's, 9's etc, guess I was just curious about the 22 mag round - I had heard some fairly good thing about it. Just not sure of the practicality of a 7 round revolver in 22 mag - although it is just 10.8 oz's
    Sure it would be a fun gun to own. But a good gun to use for self defense? No. Sure 7 rounds of .22 mag will fuck somebodies day up, but it's certainly not meant for self defense. The .22 mag round was developed for a rifle, and it performs very well out of a long barrel. Sometimes a .22 mag out of a pistol won't even burn all the powder before the round leaves the barrel. Just sayin.

IMO the only time to use .22 for SD is when you require the utmost in concealment. Or as back up for back up. Or something. Whatever. It's a tired arguement. YMMV.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Monroe County)

Check out the Taurus model 941 in .22 mag , 2 inch bbl. adj. sights, well made little revolver, however it is all steel so it is not the lighest revolver out there but it carries well. and accurate too,.

Nyman

Have always been told the .22mag has a lot of penetation. I have been looking at the Keltec pmr-30 but know of nobody who owns one or even heard of them. I think 30 rounds of .22mag would come in handy if/when you need it.
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pmr30.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast