Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Picked up a S&W M&P 40 (was "Before I go Shopping Today: Quick Poll")

Picked it up at Tanner's today, after considerable deliberation. Thanks to all who responded to my poll, in thread:

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/10...uick-poll.html

mslatter raised a good point in asking what is the gun's intended use. I don't carry yet. I may not ever, or I may get a carry permit soon. I'm just not sure. I had considered the G26 for that eventual purpose, but generally, I'm buying for home defense and target (not competitive, just to hone my skills) shooting. I thought that the EAA Witness would be too similar to the CZ's. I have two CZ's, and if I get another, it'll be CZ, not a Witness, which is very similar. I'll probably pick up a revolver at some point, but today just wasn't the day. I was impressed with what I read about the M&P, and it really felt good and looked good. My hand wraps around it naturally (more so with the large palmswell attached), and the trigger feels great (relatively smooth, short pull).
    At the range, I put about 100 rounds through it (I had to give my Glock 35 some shooting time too, as I just replaced the sights on that). Initial few magazines were all low and left, so I know the gun is dead-on target (low and left is me, until I get accustomed to the trigger, recoil, and stop anticipating). After the last magazine, I was closing in on the target pretty good, ripping holes through it about 2 inches left (some on target). All of this at 7 to 10 yards). Bottom line: I like the gun. I just need more time with it. Got it with Trijicon tritium sights for $529 (didn't even have to use all of my credit), plus $10 background check.

Here are a few pics:

"I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Picked up a S&W M&P 40 (was "Before I go Shopping Today: Quick Poll")

nice looking pistol, enjoy and keep shooting.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Picked up a S&W M&P 40 (was "Before I go Shopping Today: Quick Poll")

Quote Originally Posted by ByAnyMeans View Post
    nice looking pistol, enjoy and keep shooting.
    Thank you! My only regret when it comes to shooting, is that I didn't start decades ago.
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Monroe County)

congrats, you should like the gun, it feels great in the hand
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(York County)

She's a beaut! I really like the grip of the M&P, and it's certainly a high quality firearm. Bass Pro has had an abundance of Winchester SXT .40 ammo of late, too. I think you're going to have some fun with that one (and it will be an effective home defense weapon, what with that rail, and the extra cash you've got left for a light or light/laser combo.)

As for your LTCF, I thought it was important to get, even without an intent to carry concealed. PA law allows you to carry a firearm in your car in pretty limited circumstances, one of which is (sensibly) driving to a range or gun store and back. BUT there's no allowance in the law for stopping for ice cream along the way, or to pick up your dry cleaning. It probably wouldn't matter to a reasonable police officer were you pulled over for a traffic violation, but it seemed worth $25 and 20 minutes to take away that "probably."

P.S. Love the night sights!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mslatter View Post
    She's a beaut! I really like the grip of the M&P, and it's certainly a high quality firearm. Bass Pro has had an abundance of Winchester SXT .40 ammo of late, too. I think you're going to have some fun with that one (and it will be an effective home defense weapon, what with that rail, and the extra cash you've got left for a light or light/laser combo.)

As for your LTCF, I thought it was important to get, even without an intent to carry concealed. PA law allows you to carry a firearm in your car in pretty limited circumstances, one of which is (sensibly) driving to a range or gun store and back. BUT there's no allowance in the law for stopping for ice cream along the way, or to pick up your dry cleaning. It probably wouldn't matter to a reasonable police officer were you pulled over for a traffic violation, but it seemed worth $25 and 20 minutes to take away that "probably."

P.S. Love the night sights!
    Thanks very much. You're absolutely right. It makes good sense to get a carry permit for a lot of reasons, and I really should do it soon. Better to have it and not need it, than the other way around.

(Franklin County)

Is that full size?

I just bought a m&p 40 compact. I like the gun. Trigger has a lot to be desired though. I like the Glock triggers better.

I do not like the take down procedures for the M&P either. Too complicated in my opinion.

I wanted something different though, and it was a good choice I think. It shoots real well.

I was gonna look at XDm's, but to me they are overpriced for what you really get.

Nice choice, and I am glad to see you skipped the magazine safety. I did too. I do not like guns that have that as an option. For me, it is not a good idea, some like the feature tho, and that is why they make them both ways.

Good luck with it, and I am curious to hear how your range trips go. Let me know what hollow points you go with. I like hearing what guys find work for them.
    Last edited by PAfarmboy; July 4th, 2010 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAfarmboy View Post
    Is that full size?

I just bought a m&p 40 compact. I like the gun. Trigger has a lot to be desired though. I lock the Glock triggers better.

I do not like the take down procedures for the M&P either. Too complicated in my opinion.

I wanted something different though, and it was a good choice I think. It shoots real well.

I was gonna look at XDm's, but to me they are overpriced for what you really get.

Nice choice, and I am glad to see you skipped the magazine safety. I did too. I do not like guns that have that as an option. For me, it is not a good idea, some like the feature tho, and that is why they make them both ways.

Good luck with it, and I am curious to hear how your range trips go. Let me know what hollow points you go with. I like hearing what guys find work for them.

Apex parts fix a lot, but after polishing my latest M&P from bone stock, it helps.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Montgomery County)

Is that full size?

I just bought a m&p 40 compact. I like the gun. Trigger has a lot to be desired though. I like the Glock triggers better.
    The Glock is a great pistol, but if I could change one thing, it'd be the trigger. In my case, I prefer the M&P trigger, but hey, that's why they make chocolate and banana.

Here's an odd thing: On mine, with the mag out, slide back (and unloaded, of course), there is no sear lever at all that I could see. So, I did it the Glock way: made sure the gun was clear, pulled the trigger, and turned town the take-down lever, and slid the slide off.

It'll take me a few hundred more rounds to "get in the zone" with it, but it is nice gun to shoot - no questions.

I had an XDm 40, and sold it. Something about it, that I can't quite put my finger on, but . . ultimately, I hated it.

True. From that option, to caliber choices, a good selection of palm swells, and just plain "gun for the money", I think it was a good choice.

I generally go with Corbon, but in this case, I picked up a box of Federal Premium Hydra-Shok.

(York County)

the trigger will smooth out after firing. My m&p 40 trigger is like butter now and has a nice clean break. If you are not satisfied after break in, contact dan burwell gunsmithing. He can work wonders for your trigger for a small amount of money. He is located in PA to. Never had to use his services as i am happy with mine but I have heard of people who went to him and were happy with the results. Note the breakdown of the M&P is the same as a Glock except you have to push a pin down. You don't have to use the take down tool, I normally use the cleaning rod from my cleaning kit to push it down. it might take a second or two more but if it prevents another "cleaning accident" then so be it. Enjoy the new gun.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast