Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Open carry in Pottstown 7-2-10

So the Family and I go to Wallyworld in Pottstown yesterday. So I decided to open carry. While there, I went to the gun section (which by the way is sadly and slowly looking more and more sad) to buy ammo. The older guy behind the counter was rude and miserable as hell, but whatever. I bought my ammo, and went to find the rest of the family. The entire visit to Wallyworld was pretty much uneventful, except for some teenage kid who was staring at my gun while I was buying ammo.

So anyway, we then headed to Staples (I needed a new mouse for my desktop computer). Again, I open carried in the store, and all was uneventful until I went outside. As I walked out, there was a pick-up truck to my right with it's flashers on, and a Police SUV to my left. I carry on my right, so the cop never saw my gun, but the whole time, I'm thinking: "Ok, here we go, one of the employees called the cops."

So I just start towards the car, I get in the car, and then look over at the cop who at that time was busy writing something down, and looking at the truck which appeared to be parked in the fire lane, but when he saw the truck owner and a Staples employee carrying out a large box, he put down the tablet, and drove off.

I was glad that everything went smoothly, and a bit surprised at how poorly people's situational awareness is completely numb to the fact that there was a man among them wearing a gun, and no one noticed. Not that I was looking for anyone to notice, mind you. Just an observation.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Open carry in Pottstown 7-2-10

It's tough to size up everyone around you, especially when you're a LEO and you're kicking around the idea of writing someone up.

But, you're right. People are pretty oblivious.
    Junior

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    It's tough to size up everyone around you, especially when you're a LEO and you're kicking around the idea of writing someone up.

But, you're right. People are pretty oblivious.
    True, but I imagine smart cops worry about the guns they can't see, not the ones they can see.

(York County)

Glad it all went well.

Any time you REALLY want to get an idea how many people notice open carry, get someone else to open carry, and make sure you hang back about 20 or 30 feet, far enough to make it obvious you are not with the OCer, but close enough to observe.

I have done often when with other OCers. You would be amazed at the number of people who APPEAR to not notice, then stop and stare after you have passed. It's like a time-delayed train wreck.

I also do this frequently with Mrs Curmudgeon when we both OC. When we are not side-by-side, we catch different people reacting in very different ways.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Glad it all went well.

Any time you REALLY want to get an idea how many people notice open carry, get someone else to open carry, and make sure you hang back about 20 or 30 feet, far enough to make it obvious you are not with the OCer, but close enough to observe.

I have done often when with other OCers. You would be amazed at the number of people who APPEAR to not notice, then stop and stare after you have passed. It's like a time-delayed train wreck.

I also do this frequently with Mrs Curmudgeon when we both OC. When we are not side-by-side, we catch different people reacting in very different ways.
    sounds like fun actually.