Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Pleasent Valley - planned 6% increase

Just read in the little news letter that they sound out that there will be a 6% (double the allowed by law) increase this year for school tax. Eldred Elementary has been shut down, they are eliminating 19.5 positions and changing to a 4 day work week through the summer so they can turn off all the lights.

Of course this is based on what Rendell said they were getting for aid, when he doesn't deliver I'm sure it will go up.

but don't worry, teachers are still getting raises, PV is still doing their own thing with the Cyber Charter for whatever reason (and costing us a fortune) and we are still paying a ton for no child left behind bullshit. Estimated increase of 10+ % next year and close to 30% in 2012-2013 due to unions

and we have lost OVER 400 students this year, the of 2010 graduating class was over 450 kids.
    Last edited by Dredly; July 3rd, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Pleasent Valley - planned 6% increase

A few opinions I had to share on this issue:

First, IIRC larger than 3% increases are allowed by law. However, it means that they'll have to put the school's budget up for a referendum vote. If you don't like the increase, get out to the polls and vote it down, and force the district to comply.

Second, I for one am really tired of everyone blaming teachers for all of the problems with school budgets and taxes. I'll state now that my feelings are biased on the issue as my dad just retired from an almost 40 year career in education. However, the fact remains that teachers put up with a lot of political crap and unpopular public opinion unrelated to their job of educating students.

In almost every school district in the country, teachers are in a union and have a collective bargaining agreement, i.e. a contract. If it's a problem for district residents that teachers get raises due to a school district being required to honor a contract they signed with the teachers, then those people should be attending their school board meetings and asking the board to find a better way to find, hire, and keep good teaching talent, and vote them off the board if they can't. And if you think that teachers should be volunteering a pay cut or pay freeze, then show me more than a handful of places where such a thing has happened, in education or otherwise. Unless it's forced by management, it usually doesn't happen, and in this case the management can't force it because of the contract.

I was in a union for 10 years, and I'm not a fan of them at all, but in a situation such as this don't blame the teachers for essentially being forced to join an organization because they chose a particular career path. I've always felt that giving school administrators the flexibility to negotiate salaries and benefits on an individual basis depending on education/experience (just like most of the professional the private sector) would always procure better teaching talent, and keep costs down by reducing turnover. But again, this isn't the teacher's fault.

I do agree that charter schools, ESL, No Child Left Behind, etc. are all bullshit and a drain on resources, but IMHO teachers are constantly caught in the middle between administrators and parents. If their contract was up, I'd definitely say they need to pony up and do their part, but if not, their contract should be honored.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    A few opinions I had to share on this issue:

First, IIRC larger than 3% increases are allowed by law. However, it means that they'll have to put the school's budget up for a referendum vote. If you don't like the increase, get out to the polls and vote it down, and force the district to comply.

Second, I for one am really tired of everyone blaming teachers for all of the problems with school budgets and taxes. I'll state now that my feelings are biased on the issue as my dad just retired from an almost 40 year career in education. However, the fact remains that teachers put up with a lot of political crap and unpopular public opinion unrelated to their job of educating students.
    On the first issue almost ever Pocono school is exempt because in the past they were high growth rates. Even though that has changed they for some reason have kept that status.

The actual teachers are not to blame but their union is. Then if the rank and file wasn't so apathetic they could change THEIR union. Back in the day when I started school to become a teacher salaries were way lower then private sector jobs but benefits made up for that. Well the union has brought salaries up to a respectable level but still maintained outrageous perks. Retire at around 60 or 62 with 85% of your salary for life plus other bennies.
    The only political pressure teachers suffer is from their own union. Like the hundreds of phone calls and mailing I get from the PSEA and NEA trying to coerce us to vote for the outrageous liberals the dues help support.

PS in Pa teachers are not forced to join but do have to pay fair share. They also do not have to pay the % of political pac money in their dues.

(Monroe County)

We haven't had under 3%... ever?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    We haven't had under 3%... ever?
    Actually we have at PV in the past. Even a couple years with 0%. Blame the people who vote or don't vote for School Board. Spinolla is the most conservative on the board and he's outnumbered.
    Our township (i don't know Ross) Chestnuthill has had very few increases and the ones we've had have been minimal.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    On the first issue almost ever Pocono school is exempt because in the past they were high growth rates. Even though that has changed they for some reason have kept that status.
    Didn't realize there was an exemption for high growth. And, if they've managed to keep that status even though they're not high growth anymore, then get the community organized and ask the board and state DoE what gives.

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    The actual teachers are not to blame but their union is. Then if the rank and file wasn't so apathetic they could change THEIR union. Back in the day when I started school to become a teacher salaries were way lower then private sector jobs but benefits made up for that. Well the union has brought salaries up to a respectable level but still maintained outrageous perks. Retire at around 60 or 62 with 85% of your salary for life plus other bennies.
    The only political pressure teachers suffer is from their own union. Like the hundreds of phone calls and mailing I get from the PSEA and NEA trying to coerce us to vote for the outrageous liberals the dues help support.

PS in Pa teachers are not forced to join but do have to pay fair share. They also do not have to pay the % of political pac money in their dues.
    Fair points all. But again, as above, if the union won't police itself, or change itself from within, then it's the job of citizens to hold them accountable to change vis-a-vis the local school board. Much of the reason for the political collusion between school boards and the union leadership is due to either a) apathy from the average citizen, and b) union members who are concerned or afraid to act due to concerns of retribution of some kind from the leadership.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Monroe County)

its not local unions, its state unions.

and ask your dad how beneficial it was for him to go against the union, the gov't supported and funded union...