Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Firearm Check-in at Lehigh County Courthouse

I met up with Dave (Ironsight) today to help put the heat on the Lehigh County Sheriff's office about getting refunds for everyone that paid $38 for their licenses and to check on his refund status.

Upon entering the courthouse I went over to the information desk and informed the deputy I needed to check a firearm. He got up and pulled out a black little book and he asked for my name. I gave him my name and he asked for my firearm. I unsnapped the holster from my belt and handed it to him. He put it in a little closet and handed me a plastic card with a number on it that said firearm receipt. He told me to bring the card back after I was done in the courthouse and he'd give me back my firearm.

Dave and I went about our business (and unsurprisingly got the run around) and I went back to the information desk and handed him the plastic card. He retrieved my firearm and I snapped the belt loops back on and we were off.

Checking in and out took literally 30 seconds. No lecture and he didn't even ask to see my LTCF. Very professional the whole time. The sheriff's office may have some serious issues when it comes to overcharging for license's, but when it comes to checking in firearms at the courthouse I give them an A+.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Firearm Check-in at Lehigh County Courthouse

wish it were this simple at the Delaware County court house...we have to go across the street from the court house to check in our firearms...I need to stop being lazy and get my 2 passport photos and go back up their for my paper LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I met up with Dave (Ironsight) today to help put the heat on the Lehigh County Sheriff's office about getting refunds for everyone that paid $38 for their licenses and to check on his refund status.

Upon entering the courthouse I went over to the information desk and informed the deputy I needed to check a firearm. He got up and pulled out a black little book and he asked for my name. I gave him my name and he asked for my firearm. I unsnapped the holster from my belt and handed it to him. He put it in a little closet and handed me a plastic card with a number on it that said firearm receipt. He told me to bring the card back after I was done in the courthouse and he'd give me back my firearm.

Dave and I went about our business (and unsurprisingly got the run around) and I went back to the information desk and handed him the plastic card. He retrieved my firearm and I snapped the belt loops back on and we were off.

Checking in and out took literally 30 seconds. No lecture and he didn't even ask to see my LTCF. Very professional the whole time. The sheriff's office may have some serious issues when it comes to overcharging for license's, but when it comes to checking in firearms at the courthouse I give them an A+.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post

Sounds good...even got a receipt. Do they also have the required signage about checking in weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Sounds good...even got a receipt. Do they also have the required signage about checking in weapons?
    None that I saw. Baby steps, baby steps

(Northampton County)

Once, at the Northampton County courthouse, I asked one of the guards about the procedure for firearms check-in. He described the process very similar to your experience. No fuss, simple and direct. Thumbs-up to no-nonsense security!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    wish it were this simple at the Delaware County court house...we have to go across the street from the court house to check in our firearms...I need to stop being lazy and get my 2 passport photos and go back up their for my paper LTCF.
    For others whom aren't aware, this isn't simply a convenience but an unlawful neglect of duty (to provide for and make available lockers or similar facilities in the building containing the court facility.)

18 Pa.C.S. 913(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking . . .

(Delaware County)

I'm aware. I actually wrote to the county council asking that they become compliant with the laws ASAP. we don't have a county commissioner anymore..they're lumped into the county council.

Quote Originally Posted by MDJschool View Post
    For others whom aren't aware, this isn't simply a convenience but an unlawful neglect of duty (to provide for and make available lockers or similar facilities in the building containing the court facility.)

18 Pa.C.S. 913(e) Facilities for checking firearms or other dangerous weapons.--Each county shall make available at or within the building containing a court facility by July 1, 2002, lockers or similar facilities at no charge or cost for the temporary checking . . .
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Lehigh County)

I don't have the time or the inclination to deal with a weak search engine to find the thread, but the reason checking a firearm at Lehigh County Court House is so painless is because Pennsyplinker educated the sheriff with an I'm not backing down encounter.

If you see this Pennsy, maybe you know where that thread is at. Anyway, thanks for having the stones to stand up in the sheriffs house.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by 1iarrowking View Post
    I don't have the time or the inclination to deal with a weak search engine to find the thread, but the reason checking a firearm at Lehigh County Court House is so painless is because Pennsyplinker educated the sheriff with an I'm not backing down encounter.

If you see this Pennsy, maybe you know where that thread is at. Anyway, thanks for having the stones to stand up in the sheriffs house.
    I remember reading that thread before which is way I was a little nervous checking in my firearm. I even came 'armed' with the statute in case they gave me any problems.

(Lehigh County)

Smile Re: Firearm Check-in at Lehigh County Courthouse

I visited the Lehigh County Courthouse today to renew my LTCF.

Just as described above, I informed the ladies at the information desk that I would be visiting the Sheriff's office on the second floor, and that I would need to check my weapon before clearing security. A deputy standing nearby overheard me and casually walked over behind the information desk. He asked for my drivers license, to record my name in a small black book. He asked what kind of weapon I would be checking, and then asked me to come around the side of the lockers, so I may place the weapon inside. He handed me a credit card style receipt (Weapons Check Receipt #1), and I was on my way... Actually, I forgot to include my knife in with the handgun at first, so I turned around to add that! The ladies behind the counter jokingly commented that I was "ready to do war" and "way more paranoid than me"... the Deputy and I then had a brief discussion about his choice of IWB holsters, and then I went through the metal detector. All very courteous and well versed in the proper handling of this situation.

I plan on emailing the Sheriff to let him know I appreciate his Deputies being well trained and easy to work with for this process. It went exactly as I hoped it would. Kudos to Lehigh County Courthouse!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast