Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Looking for places to archery hunt

I'm in need of a few places to archery hunt. I started by going to the PGC website and clicking on the "where to hunt" link, here- http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=617662&mode=2

If I click on Montgomery County, there are a couple of dots on the map that are black, and an orange one as well. Per the map legend, these are possible places to hunt if I'm reading it correctly. Is there a place to find the address of these dots, will there be some sort of signage on the property, or do I need to drive around and knock on some doors to find the property owner? I definitely want to talk to the property owner, I'm just looking to avoid bothering someone at a wrong address.

Secondly, if anyone here knows of any private property in Montco, Chester county, Delaware county, or Bucks county areas that the owner would allow an archer to hunt, I'd be extremely grateful for an introduction. I'd be willing to help out the owner, maybe split some firewood, or help keep trespassers off of posted property, etc. No need to post the offer, PM will do just fine.

Thanks for the help.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Looking for places to archery hunt

I would strongly visit these locations before you go hunt there, I'm not sure about the map in your area but I know the one for Monroe is missing several areas that are Co-Op Wins land and open to public hunting

Your best bet for an up to date listing is to contact your local game commission office and request a list of all public hunting areas.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Bucks County)

Try the woods!

(York County)

I usually advise people th stay away from public lands but for archery hunting, I say go for it. It seems like there are way less archery hunters than rifle hunters, plus in archery you get to hunt the RUT baby.

I agree with Dredly, hit up your local PGC office in person, just swing on in there and ask. I know a lot of people hate the PGC for their own reasons, but I've never had a problem with them, and I get stopped and checked every season by the same dude.

Dave W.
    3%

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I would strongly visit these locations before you go hunt there, I'm not sure about the map in your area but I know the one for Monroe is missing several areas that are Co-Op Wins land and open to public hunting

Your best bet for an up to date listing is to contact your local game commission office and request a list of all public hunting areas.
    I do plan on visiting any location I will be hunting. I'd like to scout the area well before the season rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    Try the woods!
    A wise guy, eh? *insert suitable Three Stooges noise here*

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    I usually advise people th stay away from public lands but for archery hunting, I say go for it. It seems like there are way less archery hunters than rifle hunters, plus in archery you get to hunt the RUT baby.

I agree with Dredly, hit up your local PGC office in person, just swing on in there and ask. I know a lot of people hate the PGC for their own reasons, but I've never had a problem with them, and I get stopped and checked every season by the same dude.

Dave W.
    I would certainly prefer some private property to hunt, but I'll look at all of my options, including public land.

I've never had any issues with a WCO. My beef is with the head honchos calling the shots. No pun intended.

(Blair County)

Hey smith, not exactly sure where montgomery county is but if your near blair or cambria at all i'd be willing to lend a hand on the matter. Over here most of the lands are PGC and i've also got a fair amount of private ground thats untouched during archery. Let me know if that helps. Also, if you go to a sporting goods store you can get a PA topographic map book, I have one that clearly labels the game lands. If i see another one out and about ill grab you one and mail it. Take care

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post

Dave W.
    I agree 100% with Dave, I wouldn't step foot on public land for a minute during rifle season and I'm normally "Sleeping in" during muzzle loader Saturday but for Archery season you can't beat it.

Archers really are a different kind of hunter, it takes a lot more patience, skill, and homework before hand to be an effective archer and most people don't have it.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedwho View Post
    Hey smith, not exactly sure where montgomery county is but if your near blair or cambria at all i'd be willing to lend a hand on the matter. Over here most of the lands are PGC and i've also got a fair amount of private ground thats untouched during archery. Let me know if that helps. Also, if you go to a sporting goods store you can get a PA topographic map book, I have one that clearly labels the game lands. If i see another one out and about ill grab you one and mail it. Take care

A bunch of us are in Monroe County as well, there are some good areas to archery hunt up here

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedwho View Post
    Sadly, I'm not close to you. I really do appreciate the offer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    Archers really are a different kind of hunter, it takes a lot more patience, skill, and homework before hand to be an effective archer and most people don't have it.
    I understand that. This isn't my first time at the rodeo. I was an avid archery hunter a few years back. I just got to the point with work, and life in general, I just didn't have the time to be as devoted to it as it demands. I've reached that point where I've decided to make the time. I miss it terribly, and I'm looking forward to doing it again.

The spots I used to hunt are now schools, shopping centers, golf courses, and houses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast