Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Good place to shoot shot?

Having just gotten a SxS coach gun I was quite disappointed that the state game lands up in Wexford (only place I've ever done any shooting) does not allow you to use anything but slugs. Who wants to shoot a couch gun with slugs?

Is there anywhere that I can go to do target shooting with my newly acquired shotgun with either buck or bird shot? Free is preferable but I'm not above joining a club if it's cheap and doesn't have a time commitment like some clubs do.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Good place to shoot shot?

your best bet is to join a club. i'm partial to PMSC (Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsmans Club). you can shoot just about anything there. first year will cost you $110.00 then it drops to $60.00 a year after, but you get use of all ranges only range fee is the indoor ranges for archery and pistol and they are $3.00 for members.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Do you have to attend monthly meetings or anything like that? Those dues are pretty cheap, my only problem is it's about 40 min away. Of course so is the state game lands.

(Allegheny County)

it's in the rule book to attend monthly meetings, but it's not manditory.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

The Game lands in wexford do allow you to shoot bird shot (or buck) if you do it on the sporting clays range. The clay range is about 50 yards closer to Mingo Road than the rifle/handgun ranges are.

But as Renegadephoenix said, Just join a club. That game lands is a dangerous place. There are plenty of clubs around with reasonable fees, and there are a lot more benefits than just being able to use bird shot.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    Do you have to attend monthly meetings or anything like that?
    you used to supposedly have to attend monthly meetings for the first year. but i'm pretty sure that requirement has been officially dropped. in any case, it was never really enforced.

Those dues are pretty cheap, my only problem is it's about 40 min away. Of course so is the state game lands.
    PMSC is a 25 to 40 minute drive for me, too, depending on traffic. but, i promise you, it is well (very well) worth it.

PMSC should be renamed "practical shooting heaven with a huge side order of bullseye, trap/skeet/etc., archery, and hundreds of acres of hunting thrown in...all for dirt cheap dues".
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Does one have to be sponsered or recommended to join? I should probably try to get to one of the group shoots held there to scope the place out.

I'm off to their website.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by KJP442 View Post
    Does one have to be sponsered or recommended to join?
    that is another old requirement that has been dropped. though i have heard rumors that some people want to reinstate it. not sure what is going on with that, but as far as i know, as of now at least, you still do not need a sponsor.

I should probably try to get to one of the group shoots held there to scope the place out.
    definitely a good idea.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

I have been looking into the PMSC as well. I work night shift and the 7pm meeting would be really hard to make. So If I just go to one meeting is that good enough.

Also, how crowded is it on saturdays?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike4freedom View Post
    I have been looking into the PMSC as well. I work night shift and the 7pm meeting would be really hard to make. So If I just go to one meeting is that good enough.
    yes. i think that is even official policy now. even when it was the official policy that you had to attend all meetings for the first year, though, many people did not...and were not sanctioned for it.

Also, how crowded is it on saturdays?
    i have never had a crowding issue at PMSC. we have 13 (maybe more by now) practical shooting bays. i've rarely seen more than half of them used.

the rifle range gets a bit crowded during deer sight in season, but unless you are looking to shoot over 50 yards, you can just go to one of the practical shooting bays.

i don't shoot skeet/trap, but from driving past those ranges to get to the practical shooting bays, it doesn't look like they ever really get crowded either except when there are matches going on.
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast