Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question Philly LTCF application question...

Hi,

I'm living in Philadelphia with a current LTCF from the state of CT. I'm applying for my PA license but I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to answer:

1. Do the 2 letters of recommendation have to be from PA residents? I ask because it asks for their PA drivers license numbers on the forms, but the only specific directions regarding the actual reference is that they are a non-family member.

2. Is listing the reason of "self defense" going to raise flags in my application and slow down the process? I also want to target shoot, but someone had posted you don't need a LTCF for that so I'm afraid if I just check a recreational reason I'll be denied.

Thoughts and/or other helpful tips on applying in philly?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by PhillyCarry888; July 1st, 2010 at 04:02 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philly LTCF application question...

My advice.....Don't apply in Philly. Just get a non-resident FL ccw.

(Lehigh County)

I'll let those from Philly respond, since they've already gone through the illegal requirements imposed by the city upon applicants.

Quote Originally Posted by s&wpat View Post
    My advice.....Don't apply in Philly. Just get a non-resident FL ccw.
    Thanks for your help, could you clarify your comment?

The reason I didn't want to apply as an out of state resident is that on this site Philadelphia was listed as "not friendly" or something to that affect when it came to non-residents permits.

Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place, but I'm just not sure what form to fill out if I already have a license from CT.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyCarry888 View Post

The reason I didn't want to apply as an out of state resident is that on this site Philadelphia was listed as "not friendly" or something to that affect when it came to non-residents permits.

Perhaps I was looking in the wrong place, but I'm just not sure what form to fill out if I already have a license from CT.
    If you are now a resident of PA, then in order to get a PA LTCF you have to apply in the county you reside in. In Philly this means jumping through extra "hoops" that, while illegal, haven't been challenged and stand as a result.

Checking "self-defense" on the application though, shouldn't have any impact on it, as it is a lawful and valid reason for applying.

As an out of state resident, it would have been much easier and faster for you to have applied at the Centre County sheriff. He issues LTCF all thru the mail and in about 2 weeks.

Philly is much harder as they do not follow state law...and they get away with it

Getting a FL or UT permit/license will cover you in PA, and many other states, and is less hassle than applying for a LTCF in Philly.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; July 1st, 2010 at 05:11 PM.

(Butler County)

A friend of mine just got his in Philly. For reason he put what the clerk in my county told me to put for reason. "Sport/Protection". Both his and my license came back stating Sports/Protection.

As far as living in Philly "Run Forest Run"

(Philadelphia County)

Hi,

I'm living in Philadelphia with a current LTCF from the state of CT. I'm applying for my PA license but I have a few questions if anyone would be so kind to answer:

1. Do the 2 letters of recommendation have to be from PA residents? I ask because it asks for their PA drivers license numbers on the forms, but the only specific directions regarding the actual reference is that they are a non-family member.

2. Is listing the reason of "self defense" going to raise flags in my application and slow down the process? I also want to target shoot, but someone had posted you don't need a LTCF for that so I'm afraid if I just check a recreational reason I'll be denied.

Thoughts and/or other helpful tips on applying in philly?

Thanks in advance.

You probably don't want to check anything but self-defense.

Tip: Print your docs in pdf, type them out if possible. Have everything that is required ready and filled out ahead of time (photos, payment, refs, kitchen sink) this will set you apart from the other idiots in line.
    I support Gerald Ung - http://theungfund.org/

(Montgomery County)

I hold a Pennsylvania LTCF issued in Philadelphia county and have been through the process a number of times.

1. I am not sure if it is entirely required for the references to be PA residents. However, to avoid a legal battle I offer my service to fill out a reference for you. I do not know you, and do not care. The reference requirement is bullshit, and since you are going through the process legally I will vouch for you. A few months ago when accompanying another to the "gun permit unit" on Spring Garden street a woman asked me to fill out her reference, I smiled and obliged.

2. My license says self defense right on it. I do not know of any red flags or problems caused by this. Be proud, self defense is your right. (Sadly "protection from tyranny" was not listed as a reason to request a license to carry firearms)

PM me if you have any specific questions about the Philly process or the shooting sports in the area.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by yawns View Post
    You probably don't want to check anything but self-defense.

Tip: Print your docs in pdf, type them out if possible. Have everything that is required ready and filled out ahead of time (photos, payment, refs, kitchen sink) this will set you apart from the other idiots in line.
    Good advice. Also, it is better if your references are from PA. When I decided to get mine, they explained that one of the reasons they want PA residents, is that they can make sure the person actually exists. Apparently, they had a number of people who lied on their references, and were caught. I am not sure if that means they check name/DL# on references, but I wouldn't be surprised. Also, make sure you put down everything, that way there is no discrepancy that can be used to disqualify you.

JUSTITIA ET VIRTUS

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast