Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default 3030 bolt action

My nephew will start hunting this year, My brother wanted to get him a 3030 bolt action rifle, I told him I don’t think you can buy new in 3030 bolt action any more, am I over looking something, I told him there are a lot of good calibers for a kid to start out with in bolt action, but he hunts with a Marlin 336, Not the best rifle for a kid to start off with, he wanted to just have one Ammo to deal with in Hunting season, he is also not much on the single shot rifles.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: 3030 bolt action

I am not aware of any new bolt guns in 30/30 either. Savage used to make one. It was the model 340. Occasionally you can find them in the used gun rack. That said however, I would not have a problem starting my kid on a Marlin 30/30 particularly if it was one with a safety. Many kids have started out in just that way.
    The Lord Bless You

(Delaware County)

I started out with a Savage 340 in .30-30 winchester. It was originally my fathers and he gave it to me when I started hunting. I still have it and still cherish it. It shoots 2" groups at 100yds with factory Remington 150gr core-lokt ammo with me doing my best aiming. It has a side mount scope as these were ussually outfitted with and a bushnell 4x scope. I do not hunt with it anymore. Just holding on to it for when I have an up an coming hunter.

However I have another that I just picked up as a spare. It also has a side mount scope setup and is in very good condition. I suggest that your brother should look for a used 340 locally or online. They are unussually cheap for how handy and accurate they are. If he can not find one he can contact me though and perhaps we can work out a deal on that spare I have plus shipping.

(Lancaster County)

wait why would you want a bolt acton 30-30 i thought the whole point of the 30-30 round was because it was nostalgic to use with a 30-30 lever action rifle.
    Gott mit uns

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks I was pretty sure no one was making them anymore, there are just too many better rounds for white tail, I told him the 243 would be a great round for a kid to start out on, but some A-hole he works with told him it would be his last choice, It would be great if guys that have no idea of what they are talking about would just keep quiet.

(Allegheny County)

Well this doesn't help you much OP, but I love my Remington 788 30-30. It's definitely the most accurate 30-30 I've ever fired. If you can find one for sale somewhere, it would fit your needs perfectly.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

.243 is a good starting rifle but really the 30-30 lever action known to be a good rifle for hunting its a little harder to scope but it darn sure accurate enough with iron sights.

That rare 788 bolt action in 30-30 would be just what he wanted. But in the end you will still be shooting a 30-30 lever or bolt, why spend the extra money when you have a 30-30, unless upgrading to 270 or 308?

(Allegheny County)

30-30 lever action known to be a good rifle for hunting its a little harder to scope
    Marlin lever guns are just as easy to scope as a bolt gun. They have a solid top and eject to the side.

Another great caliber to consider is 7mm-08. With the reduced recoil loads it is very mild recoil wise but still an excellent killer.
    The Lord Bless You

(Westmoreland County)

He started out on a 3030, and still hunts with it, so I think he wanted the boy to uses the same round as him, I think I may have him talked into the Savage Stevens 200 in 270 or 308, It runs about $280.00 new, I can get a trigger job for about $40.00, If it needs it, The Accue trigger Savages run about $100.00 more, realistically the area of Pa we hunt is heavy cover, most shots are in the 40 to 60 yard range, the Winchester 94 was a pain to mount a scope on, top discharge, but the Marlin 336 is side discharge, not much difference than mounting a scope on any other rifle.
    And before anyone mentions it, The Savage Edge is $259.00 here, but the last time I checked, it has a different trigger group than the Stevens, if it comes threw with a hard trigger, you can get a replacement for $80.00 plus fitting by a Gunsmith, and the Marlin X rifles, it seems Marlin was Bought out by Remington, they have closed the Marlin plant, and will not be retooled for the X rifles till next year, so if you want one, and can find it you better grab it.

(Berks County)

There is one other option - 7.62 x 39 bolt action.

And you have a few choices there -

CZ 527 Carbine - has box magazine - best choice by far

Russian American Arms BARS 4-1

Remington 799 Mini-Mauser

7.62 x 39 has more guts than 30-30, and far more bullet choices right now. And ammunition is substantially cheaper. Your nephew will be able to hunt successfully for years, and he'll only have to deal with one cartridge type if he decides to get an AK sometime later in life.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast