Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Encounter at Chester County Justice Center

So, the other day I went to the Justice Center with my brother while he applied for his LCTF. As we came in, he said that he didn't bring a check... so he went to start paperwork, while I went to go get a money order.

I came back in and approached the metal detector, and pointed to the posted signage (18 Pa.C.S. 913) and advised that I needed to secure a firearm. I was directed to the room of lockers (now I know where they are). And when I went though the security screening, the Deputy asked if I was a LEO. I replied that I was not, and that I had a valid LCTF. The Security Officer asked for my LCTF, and I presented such. He examined it, and the Deputy stated that "Only police are allowed to carry to the courthouse and you should leave your gun at home next time."
    I said that the Courthouse was legally required to provide a place for me to secure my firearm. And that I preferred securing it in the courthouse than in my car, as there is less risk of it being stolen, etc.

The security officer stated "well... we'd rather you secure it in your car". I again repeated that they had a legal obligation to allow me to secure it, and that way I was not liable for a firearm being stolen from my vehicle.

I got non-committal replies, told both to have a nice day, then went and waited on my brother - and gave him the Money Order.

I do NOT remember the Deputy's name. I remember it was a 4-letter last name, that's all.

I found the encounter odd, as I've heard good things about checking at ChesCo before. While this wasn't a great encounter, I did what I intended to do and walked away without significant inconvenience, so I guess it wasn't a truly "bad" encounter either.

Has anyone else had any encounters at Chesco's Courthouse?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Encounter at Chester County Justice Center

Probably has something to do with the guy that "forgot" his 1911 in his briefcase and went through security.

http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/1005...ourthouse.html

Or they just don't want to "waste time" with average folks checking their guns

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Or they just don't want to "waste time" with average folks checking their guns
    Don't you remember? They "literally dodged a bullet" by locking Brian Benjamin in jail for 19 days on $100,000 bail.
    Last edited by anonymouse; July 1st, 2010 at 01:59 PM.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Encounter at Chester County Justice Center

Quote Originally Posted by yelruh55 View Post
    I do NOT remember the Deputy's name. I remember it was a 4-letter last name, that's all.

?
    That would be Deputy Dick! No wait, that's not right, he works at Bucks County. No, thats wrong, Fluffer the Douchebag works at Bucks County Courthouse. So, yeah, it probably was Deputy Dick.

(Chester County)

Seems like they need to re-learn the laws or accept the fact that the law IS the law. I checked a knife when I was getting my LTCF for the first time at this court house. That went smoothly. Have not needed to go back for anything else.

(Chester County)

I brought my gun with me to my wedding at the justice center. I asked for a locker, and they pointed me to the same room. I came back; they asked me if
    I had indeed checked a weapon. They checked my LTCF and asked me in a conversational tone what I carried. Never did I feel confronted or subjugated. I think this may have just been a bad day for someone.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrdenu View Post
    ... I asked for a locker, and they pointed me to the same room. I came back; they asked me if
    I had indeed checked a weapon.
    Didn't they give you a receipt? They are required to by law.

At the courthouse here the sheriff on duty said "We don't give these back," and upon seeing my expression laughed and handed it to me. He then asked me about pricing where I work. Living in a laid back area has a lot of advantages.

(Chester County)

No receipt, it was a locker room like at the train station. You put what ever you want inside of it, lock it, and take the key. No one was working in there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast