Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default PF9 or P11? I simply cannot decide.

I really wanted to pickup a compact 9mm and have had good luck with Kel Tec in the past so I was looking at both the PF9 and the P11. The PF9 is a single stacked 7rnd 9mm, while the P11 is a double stacked 11rnd 9mm.

I was looking to get the views from owners as to which one they think is better and why.

Thanks guys!

(Butler County)

Default Re: PF9 or P11? I simply cannot decide.

I have the Pf9 and my dad has the P11.

P11
    Pros
    -More rounds
    -Added weight makes recoil marginally more manageable (not a night and day difference but worth mentioning.
    -Will accept S&W 59 series and 69 series magazines

Pf9
    Pros
    -Flatter (making it much more concealable)
    -Much improved Trigger

Personally I prefer the Pf9. 7 v 11 rounds doesn't make that much of a difference and in my opinion, the flatter pf9 is much easier to conceal and easier to shoot due to the trigger.

(Northampton County)

IWB the PF9 is great can't even tell it is there the P11 is not much bigger but is still a little fatter. I think the PF shoots great and looks nice compared to the P11. I know you are are always better off having more rounds you could always carry an extra mag.

(Monroe County)

I have the P11. I have not handled the PF9, but I can tell you that the P11 is pretty small and light. It is very difficult to fire the P11 accidentally because of it long stiff trigger pull (double action only). The recoil is enough that you will not want to shoot through more then through 3 or 4 magazines in any one practice. The P11 is ok for my medium size hands but I had a friend shoot it with large hands this past weekend and he called it torturous. I can only imagine what he would have though of the smaller PF9. I would like the get the smaller PF9 at some point too, but I am glad I got the P11 first.

I have a smaller .25 cal auto and an NAA mini. Those guns while being smaller are fun to shoot because the recoil is less. The NAA mini, loaded with .22 Mag and the larger boot grips, is my favorite daytime carry. It is lighter then my keys and I can hit any man size target at 21 feet. The larger boot grips make all the difference.
    Last edited by tsafa; July 1st, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

(Berks County)

The reason I ask is because I recently gave my Kel tec p32 to my dad and now carry a Beretta Tomcat in .32. Also recently picked up a vintage Titan .25 but I would like to have the Kel Tec because of its price/ ammo price/ and for a nice winter carry piece.

Its so damn hard to find either one in stock anywhere at a reasonable price nowadays. My local shop sells either one for $250 and I would love to support him but he hasnt had one in for weeks. Which ever he gets from the distributor first is likely to be the one I end up taking.

(Delaware County)

I carry my PF9 in a pocket holster and throw it in my pocket..don't even know it's there some times.

Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

I own a P11 and have used a PF9 at the range a few times.
    I prefer the P11; it conceals well enough and has adequate capacity.
    I've added a Hogue grip and magazine extension, which both help tremendously with stability in my large hands.

Try both and see what YOU like best. Everyone's different.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by arks View Post
    Try both and see what YOU like best. Everyone's different.
    Sage advice.

I own both and I can't say that either one is better than the other. They both have their strong points.

Decide how you want to carry and go someplace that has both in stock and compare side by side.

Do you want a double stack mag or a single stack?
    Do you want to mount a light/laser on the front for home defense?
    Do you want to carry IWB or OWB?
    Is magazine capacity a make or break issue?

I personally carry my PF9 as my EDC due to its slenderness. It's very easy to forget that you have it on. The P11 is a little too pudgy for me to wear IWB comfortably. With that said, I have my P11 on right now OWB in a Fobus paddle holster until the new extractor for the PF9 arrives from KelTec. It broke yesterday at the range.

Either way, you'll love whatever you buy. Great guns.

Since you're in Lehigh Co., I'd check American Shooting Sports in Brodheadsville. I know Rich generally has one if not both models in stock whenever I stop in. That's where I got my PF9. It was the only one in NE PA at the time. Also, Hunter's Gallery in Hamlin and Wallenpaupack Sport Shop in Hawley both routinely carry them. Call first before you drive up.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

I had a P11. My father has a PF9.

I bought the P11 because it has the extra capacity. When I looked at the dimensions, I didn't think the P11 was much bigger, and I thought it was a good trade-off.

After shooting the PF9, I regretted my decision. The trigger on the PF9 is MUCH better than the P11. I tried the "fluff & buff", but it was not the same. I would opt for fewer rounds for the increased conceal-ability & much better trigger.

I own the PT11 its been a very good gun really concealable and with the snap on metal holster its as easy to wear as pocket knife. Its a adequate pistol inside 15 yards I get good groups outside of that because of the trigger it suffers and does not bred confidence. If I could ask for one thing it would be a better trigger, if the PF9 has a much better trigger 7 shots would not be bad. I have big hands so I also order the magazine extender great improvement in handling.

I was a little disappointed in P11 comparing it to fast, accurate shooting Compacts like Commander and Glock 19 but when I started comparing it to my 38spl snub nose I like the PT11 much better 11 vs. 5 or 6 better accuracy with the PT11, probably better sights and less recoil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast