Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Becoming a PA LTCF instructor?

Hello everyone!

I've been doing a bit of research and have found several "Concealed Carry Classes" here in PA where they focus on topics like state and federal carry laws, use of lethal force, situational awareness, etc. I was wondering if there was an official LTCF instructor certification here in PA that the individuals who taught these courses had to obtain?

A friend in Arizona informed me that in his state, the Dept. of Public Safety gives instructors with the curriculum and materials to teach. I can't imagine there's a state out there that DOESN'T tell you explicitly what you must teach in order to meet their requirements and was wondering if PA had a similar setup.

Here is a link to the AZ Instructor Requirements: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...s/Eligibility/

Thanking everyone in advance for their assistance.

J
    Last edited by jmorales; July 1st, 2010 at 07:05 AM.

Default Re: Becoming a PA LTCF instructor?

Quote Originally Posted by jmorales View Post
    Hello everyone!

I've been doing a bit of research and have found several "Concealed Carry Classes" here in PA. And I was wondering if there was an official LTCF instructor certification here in PA?

A friend in Arizona informed me that in their state, the Dept. of Public Safety gives instructors with the curriculum and materials to teach. I can't imagine there's a state out there that DOESN'T tell you explicitly what you must teach in order to meet their requirements and was wondering if PA had a similar setup.

Here is a link to the AZ Instructor Requirements: http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concea...s/Eligibility/

Thanking everyone in advance for their assistance.

J
    There isn't much to teach as far are requirements for getting a PA LTCF. There is no firearm qualification process. It's simply the criminal/background check and some references. So, if you taught a course like this, you'd just tell people to not have done those bad things when they were younger, and to maintain friendship with a couple of upstanding citizens in your county who could be your references.
    Tommy610, NRA Member, Romans 12:18

(Allegheny County)

Considering we do not need to have any classes, I don't see how the state would waste the time to create any formal instructor certification. Mostly what I have seen are classes that are training with CC in mind, rather than a CC class like other states require with a required curriculum.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Delaware County)

Like others said thier is no LTCF class needed in PA, but you can take the NRA instructor courses and start teaching all about saftey and proper use of firearms that way, you would be helping alot more that way.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    Like others said thier is no LTCF class needed in PA, but you can take the NRA instructor courses and start teaching all about saftey and proper use of firearms that way, you would be helping alot more that way.

All good points so far and a few that didn't occur to me.

Thanks to all!