Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is there an advantage using pistol optics lasers and aim points/dots?

Is there an advantage using pistol optics lasers and aim points/dots? The only advantage I see is quick target recognition. I believe you can bulls eye shoot better with iron sights rather then chasing that dot around.

The only advantage I see is hitting somewhere within the 6" plate of a target quickly. It highlights combat accuracy it does not help in bulls eye accuracy that much?

Now that sounds like I'm making a statement but I'm really asking.

Any others with hand on experience?
    Last edited by Neko456; June 30th, 2010 at 04:11 PM.

(Butler County)

Default Re: Is there an advantage using pistol optics lasers and aim points/dots?

If you need to chase the dot around what do you think is happening with your gun?

I practice dry fire with laser sight and was surprised how quick you can learn to steady the dot.

Default Re: Is there an advantage using pistol optics lasers and aim points/dots?

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Is there an advantage using pistol optics lasers and aim points/dots? The only advantage I see is quick target recognition. I believe you can bulls eye shoot better with iron sights rather then chasing that dot around.

The only advantage I see is hitting somewhere within the 6" plate of a target quickly. It highlights combat accuracy it does not help in bulls eye accuracy that much?

You don't have to worry about eye relief, as a regular scope. Even though I shoot with both eye's open, using any sight method most close one eye which is another thing that you don't have to do. You only aim with one point instead of two (iron sight's.) you keep your peripheral vision free which is very important in any combat situation or free for your next target engagement closing one eye mean's your virtually blind on one side. No matter what angle you are looking at the dot from, the POI is the same which is impossible with any other sight system's & iron's... It's just all around faster & easier. All the world's Top shooter's use them, this is a sell in itself. Even though they get paid to use them, they are still the fastest, most easy sighting in any situation.
    Last edited by Ronnies111; June 30th, 2010 at 05:21 PM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Washington County)

There is a definite use for a laser... what happens when you need to take a shot and your ability to use iron's isnt there?

As for a dot, I've tried one on a pistol, and found it to be pretty snazzy for quick shooting on a steel range.

(Franklin County)

A red dot on a bad guy's chest can be a pretty good deterrent too. Could just save you from having to actually pull the trigger.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Susquehanna County)

Depends on the application. For a defense pistol, I would not choose laser or red dot. I would choose good tritium night sights in a fixed sight type arrangement. Similar to Murphy's Laws of Combat #4 "Tracers (read lasers) work both ways."

But, red dot sights are very good for the bullseye, bowling pin & falling plate type shooting. They are also pretty good for hunting. All of this especially applies to guys in the 40+ y.o. catagory. I'm 63 and I've been using red dots for as long as I've needed reading glasses.

As you age your near focus gets messed up and it becomes very difficult to focus properly on the front sight and it gets worse when you try to shift focus from sights to target. Red dots help tremendously because aiming point and target are all placed on one plane and it is there (where the dot is) that you must focus, just like it was the front sight. A caveat is needed here, if you wear prescription lenses to correct an astigmatism you must wear your prescription lens to see the dot correctly. Fail to wear your glasses and you'll see a red caterpillar instead of a dot. You might even want to use your reading glasses to help your near focus.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Cumberland County)

I guess it depends on the application. You wouldn't neccesarily want a red dot on a combat hand gun, but I definitely like one on my Ruger MKIII. Makes shooting at 50 yards more fun. Plus my eyes are crap as it is. I have a hard time using the sights at those kinds of ranges.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Butler County)

Red dot gives you the ability to be on target in any position. Can the red dot locate you? "yes" if your lined up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post

If you have an advantage position and control over a situation an advanced sight like laser is usable, using a sight system to acquire a target is a completely different thing altogether, the less you use your mind to accomplish this task the faster it becomes, and that is the reason why weapon manufacturers install the simplest easier to use sights on their guns.
    Tritium, fiber optics and phosphorescent sight are very good enhancers as they don't take the place of the original sights.
    Red dots are very efficient but they require extensive training, the weapon would have to be at the ready, because a position is primordial requirement for the to be efficient.
    Scopes and such require complete position advantage and complete control.
    On a real case scenario if you try to whip out a laser on someone, this someone better don't have a gun pointing at you already.

Personally since manufacturers don't make tritium for all the guns I have like old rifles and because I believe simple things are better I lean towards
    phosphorescent products, there are several, my favorite is from glow-on.com, is affordable and plenty for lots of guns as I have around, Here some pics from their blog:

If you are just learning to shoot accurately, a laser is not a good idea. The dot is a huge diterrent and it does give you really quick acquisition though.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast