Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default ultra light primer strikes from chambering?

I have a Mossberg 600a and I unloaded it and took it apart again today which I have done many times before but this time I looked at the primers on the buckshot loads that I had chambered.

It appeared as if the primers have been lightly hit by the firing pin..possibly from chambering and/or unloading?

I racked it forward when it was empty and barrel removed and didn't witness the firing pin come forward at all out of the bolt so I'm kind of wondering what's going on here and whether or not I have something to worry about as far as A.D.

Last thing I want to do is chamber a round and have it go off from the pin striking the primer.

Any advice other than take it to a gunsmith? Is this common?

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: ultra light primer strikes from chambering?

It may be common for the gun. I had the same question regarding my AR. I noticed that whenever the carrier went forward, it would leave a little dent... whether it was half way through the mag, or the last round... So I asked my dealer/smith and he said it's not uncommon for it to happen. It's just the spring playing a little bit and allowing the pin to move forward minutely.

So it may be nothing to worry about. But I'm not sure, with it being a shotgun and all..
    III%

(Monroe County)

Thanks for your input. I used to unload it by racking the pump until it was empty, but several months ago I stopped doing that and started pushing down the retention arm and letting the spring eject the rounds back out of the mag tube into my hand very softly.

Because of the kids I dont keep one chambered when its by my bed at night but I would hate to rack it at the sound of someone busting through my door at 2 a.m. only for it to go off before I wanted it to.

(Schuylkill County)

I would say it's nothing more than that... But if it really concerns you, you can always take one of the shells with you next time you go to the shop, and ask about it. That's what I did and he could tell right away what I was talking about... (also, considering an AR has more force going forward with the carrier than I would imagine a shotgun would, it might not hurt to ask to be safe next time you're there....)

I don't know, maybe someone on here can shed a little more light on the 600a, being more familiar with it...
    III%

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    I would say it's nothing more than that... But if it really concerns you, you can always take one of the shells with you next time you go to the shop, and ask about it. That's what I did and he could tell right away what I was talking about...

I don't know, maybe someone on here can shed a little more light on the 600a, being more familiar with it...
    OOPS, it's a 600at, same exact thing as a 500 but a "NEW HAVEN" gun. Is this a common thing on 500's?...or shotguns in general?

(Schuylkill County)

Not sure man. I have never really checked it for occurrence on my shotguns. It is possible though.

Also, just be aware that doing that to the same round over and over could be bad for it. Even though it can be a natural and normal occurring thing, if the pin keeps hitting the primer little by little, supposedly the primer cake can break up creating a missfire.

I really don't know the answer though. Honestly, what I would do is take a shell to your dealer/smith next time you are there, and ask them if it's normal. They should be able to give you a verdict by just how much it is punching the primer.

Do you have any pics of one?
    III%

(Lawrence County)

I'm pretty sure the 500's have floating firing pins (like AR's). Not usually an issue since the FP doesn't have enough mass under usual conditions to light the primer.

Of course, F=MA so speed also plays a part. I'd take her out and chamber a few rounds at max velocity and see if it slam fires.

Lycanandrotateyourdefenseammooutthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    Not sure man. I have never really checked it for occurrence on my shotguns. It is possible though.

Also, just be aware that doing that to the same round over and over could be bad for it. Even though it can be a natural and normal occurring thing, if the pin keeps hitting the primer little by little, supposedly the primer cake can break up creating a missfire.

I really don't know the answer though. Honestly, what I would do is take a shell to your dealer/smith next time you are there, and ask them if it's normal. They should be able to give you a verdict by just how much it is punching the primer.

Do you have any pics of one?
    I wish I did but my piece of crap digicam takes really fuzzy pics close up.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post

Lycanandrotateyourdefenseammooutthrope
    do this all the time. even more so now. thanks. If I ever get a chance to get back to a range I will try what you suggested.

Sounds like a weak or broken firing pin spring to me! Chambering the same shell repeatedly could result in a slam fire.

Numrich 1-866-686-7424 item #53970 $2.55 each and easy to put in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast