Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How much ammo do you stockpile?

As I work to build a decent ammo stockpile (cash is tight), I'm curious what everybody else keeps on hand. For the semi-auto rifles like AKs and ARs, how much ammo does everybody like to keep on hand? It seems like 1000 rounds is a good starting point. How about handgun calibers, shotguns, and bolt action rifles? Everybody has different opinions on how much is "too much", but what amount of ammo is ideal and realistic for SHTF or major ammo taxes down the road?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: How much ammo do you stockpile?

for any gun i train with regularly, i start to get anxious when my stash dips below 1,500 rounds.

training courses usually require anywhere from 300 rounds to 750 or more rounds. so, a single course can easily eat up half that stash.

my practice sessions typically eat up 150 to 300 rounds. i like to try to get out once a week or at least once every other week.

so 1,500 rounds doesn't last all that long.

i try to keep a base stash of 1,500 rounds and then buy more ammo as i shoot it so as to not drop below that level. that way, if i have problems finding ammo or am short of cash before taking a course, i can take the course and still have at least a few practice sessions worth of ammo left.

fortunately, i have been able to get back into this pattern this summer. last summer really sucked because ammo was so scarce...so i didn't get to shoot that much (and my shooting definitely deteriorated as a result). from that standpoint, i don't think a stash could be too big. if i had the money, i would have 20,000 rounds in a closet.

(for SHTF, i don't think you need that big of a stash...unless you are still going to be able to practice after the SHTF. in SHTF, the goal will be to avoid conflict. in reality, you will not likely send 1,000 rounds downrange in gunfights without getting killed at some point. how many gun battles do you think you can realistically win before you lose one?)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; June 30th, 2010 at 12:00 PM.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    (for SHTF, i don't think you need that big of a stash...unless you are still going to be able to practice after the SHTF. in SHTF, the goal will be to avoid conflict. in reality, you will not likely send 1,000 rounds downrange in gunfights without getting killed at some point. how many gun battles do you think you can realistically win before you lose one?)

This is a ridiculous statement, and only accurate if there is no zombie apocalypse.

In reality though, if SHTF, you likely won't go through more than a mag's worth out of any gun, even a hunting rifle, unless you are way out in the sticks or are a horrible shot.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post

I agree with this point, however don't forget the potential need for ammo to hunt with, if the SHTF involves the need for getting your own food.

Speaking of my stash is getting low. I only keep 2-300 rounds of each caliber, only because of cost. I'm slacking.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtsgsxr6 View Post
    I agree with this point, however don't forget the potential need for ammo to hunt with, if the SHTF involves the need for getting your own food.

Speaking of my stash is getting low. I only keep 2-300 rounds of each caliber, only because of cost. I'm slacking.

You won't need much ammo for hunting. If it comes to that, everyone else will also be hunting, and the wildlife population would be decimated in short order.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Allegheny County)

as far as harvesting animals for food in SHTF, imho, trapping, not hunting is the way to go. much less effort and time need to be expended per calorie harvested.

and plan on trapping cats, dogs, rats, mice, etc. as mentioned above, all the deer, etc. will be gone in no time.

another thing to consider...if you have to bug out--especially on foot--ammo is heavy. you won't be able to carry all that much of it with you.
    F*S=k

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    You won't need much ammo for hunting. If it comes to that, everyone else will also be hunting, and the wildlife population would be decimated in short order.
    Either that, or almost everyone else will already be dead. Then you can just scavenge some ammo.

Many of you have made some great points so far on this thread. I've reached 500 rounds for my AK, and I feel like that number is a good start. I will purchase target ammo as I go and rotate out my inventory.

(Montgomery County)

It never seems to exceed the boundaries of "None" and "Not Enough" ... At least by the official GL001 Standard.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Cumberland County)

I generally keep at least 1k for each manual gun (bolt, pump, revolver, etc.). Semi-auto guns get 1500 minimum stashed for each gun.

Will I ever use that much? God willing, I will never need to use any of it.

As for the $$ side of it -- try to pick up a box of something here and there when you place an internet order or pick up something at the local shop. You would be surprised how many rounds I have added to my stash over the last few years by doing this. Brand doesn't matter to me. This is ammo I hope to never need. I get whatever brand is the lowest price in the caliber I am looking to buy at the time. Should I ever need to use it, I really don't care what the head stamp says. Saving my ass trumps saving my brass.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast