Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Re: How much ammo do you stockpile?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Who says SHTF is an apocalypse situation?

Have you heard of Hurricane Katrina?
    How about The Brady Ban?
    Katrina the cops were taking guns, and with a full-on brady ban you'd have a tough time finding a way to shoot them to all to begin with.

While I believe in an apocolypse for certain (THE apocolypse) I also don't think it will--for a few years--require anyone to own any firearm, and by the time anyone needs/wants one they'll only want enough rounds for themself and one or two others they want to quicken the end for.

A likely SHTF scenario, would be one that involves looting more than anything, and you won't need more than a box or two to keep people away.

As for round-count, my goal is no less than 1k per gun, with no upward limit. I like to shoot, so the ammo will dissapear and the high minimum is to last during an ammo shortage or a budget shortfall which prevent me from buying what I need to hit the range.

And that's 1k per gun, regardless of calibur. If I have 2 9mm's, I need 2k of 9mm and so on.

Although, my Remington 760 in 30.06 has no ammo to call its own, but I'm still debating whether or not I want to sell/trade it when I get back home so I've excluded that one anyway.

.22 I buy when I see it, no matter how much I have. Whenever I hit anywhere that sells it I'll pick up a brick or box, depending on cost & funds available.

Ammo goes up and doesn't go bad, so long as I have a good place to store it and I can afford it I'll keep buying it.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

I don't have an accurate count. I reload & try to keep 2 small ammo cans full for each pistol cal., & 2 medium size cans for the rifles. I fall behind sometimes, but never let it drop below 1 full can of any cal. I also keep replenishing, (and in some cases stockpiling), reloading components as they get depleted.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Default How much ammo do you stockpile?

+1 on the trapping scenario.

If it's a real STHF situation your going to be weighing the cost vs benefit.

The amount of ammo you need depends greatly on the situation and your personal plan. If you plan on hunkering down and defending the homestead then there can't be too much ammunition. Ammunition could end up being a currency item, and since you don't have to move it, weight/space isn't as much of a concern.

If you going to be mobile 200rds pistol & 400rds rifle would be more than enough (might even be overkill). You will have a hard time carrying that much ammunition around; while still having enough basic supplies to last you. If you are in a vehicle you could double or triple that number, but you still have carry all of your necessities with you. That includes clean drinking water/water purification system, rations, extra fuel, spare tires, clothing, etc.

Every time a "how much ammo" thread comes up I think about the old Grunt saying. "Ounces make pounds and pounds make pain". Pack yourself up with as much ammo as you can carry and see how long you want to carry 40lbs of ammo with you. If you agreed with the move to the 5.56 or not (My brain doesn't, but my back does), weight is one of the reasons we moved to the smaller round.

Steven@LG

(Berks County)

About 1,000 rounds per caliber except 22 LR about 5k. I don't buy by the case and pick up a box here and there including .380. No problem finding any caliber at present.

(Allegheny County)

Im shooting 500-1k a month pistol.

I like to have at least 1500-2000 rounds on hand at a minimum to that end.

Mostly (and as per usual) Im right in line with LRT on this. The only variation is that I plan out what classes I will be taking and set aside that ammo seperately in advance.

Rifle is another story, I dont hold nearly as much, as I dont shoot it as much. I tend to just buy another 1k whenever I get down to 500 and I keep a 500 round reserve currently. I had much more rifle just before the panic ( saw that one coming) and now that prices are dropping I dont see a financial incentive to stock up now when it could be cheaper to do so later.

(Berks County)

I just got back into shooting from a fifteen year lay off. I found some 40 sw boxes from back then... wow $9.99 to 12.99 a box. Ammo doesn't lose value correct?

Quote Originally Posted by GlockSig View Post
    I just got back into shooting from a fifteen year lay off. I found some 40 sw boxes from back then... wow $9.99 to 12.99 a box. Ammo doesn't lose value correct?
    Yes! It depreciates in value by about 10 % per year. I'll give you $5 a box for that old junk stuff & dispose of it for you.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    Yes! It depreciates in value by about 10 % per year. I'll give you $5 a box for that old junk stuff & dispose of it for you.

To late... just sold them for $6 a box

(Allegheny County)

damn you guys.

I just went and did an invetory, Ive been shooting more than I thought the last month. Gotta resupply soon !

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    im thinking like one mag worth... battlefield pickups are my plan. and maybe eating the zombies if i have to.
    You CAN'T eat zombie flesh. It's toxic remember!

But on a serious note. My rule of stock is no less than 1k per self-loading rifle, 500Rds per handgun and 400Rds for manualy operated rifles or shotguns. This is of course the absolute minimum stockpile figure and does not include issue ammo for plinking, practice, and carrying. I always try to keep double the minimum for issue and use. Of course "First Line" defensive weapons get prority over the reserve collector and sport shooting arms.

As for being able to carry all that ammo when a major SHTF situation arrises, one has to keep in mind that unless you are able to gather with like-minded folks in a pre-set safe refuge spot, you are going to be pretty much at the mercy of the hoards. So if you have to bug out for whatever reason, some serious choises will have to be made. Lotsa luck. God knows, you'll need it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast