Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How much ammo do you stockpile?

im thinking like one mag worth... battlefield pickups are my plan. and maybe eating the zombies if i have to.

(Montgomery County)

See my sig line. However, I do have a relatively normal life that requires me to spend $ on things not related to firearms. Ammo will always have value, at the very least you will probably be able to barter with it, but I doubt and pray it never gets that bad. To answer your question, I have more ammo in the calibers I shoot the most. Over 1K of 9, 45, and 223. Many thousands of .22
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

"You won't need much ammo for hunting. If it comes to that, everyone else will also be hunting, and the wildlife population would be decimated in short order"

True, you will not be hunting WILDLIFE for food....but you will still need ammo to hunt for food.

(Allegheny County)

Having only 2 firearms so far, I'm trying to keep at least 500 rounds for my bolt action rifle and a couple hundred shotgun shells (mostly buck).

Having just got my shotgun I have very few rounds for it and it's damn expensive to get anything but bird shot.

As my collection grows I'm thinking I will keep those numbers for each gun when money allows.

The only problem in a SHTF scenario is trying to move all of it to a secure location. My home in the burbs is not the place I envision spending the zombie apocalypse.

Really this ammo price hike really got me pissed off so I started back reloading. I won't give my entire stanch because vet here say that is not a good idea.
    I have 9mm factory speciality loads like powerball, corbon and hydra shok for self defense I have a box each. Training rounds in 9mm I have 600 fmj and 1200jhp not including speciality jhps. About the same for 45acp a little less 40 cal and only about 300jhp 357.

Rifles 223 about 800 rounds and near the same for in mini-30. Then its the 308 & 06 and 12 gauges all have plenty of rounds. Stored in the bottom of my safe.

Let 45acp get to $75 a box I don't care my stuff hits just as hard or hard enough.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    im thinking like one mag worth... battlefield pickups are my plan. and maybe eating the zombies if i have to.
    That assumes the other guy is using the same caliber you are. Never assume.....
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Delaware County)

Only if you can get it. I can't find .303 British (.312 dia.) bullets for reloading. Everyone is out.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    This is a ridiculous statement, and only accurate if there is no zombie apocalypse.

In reality though, if SHTF, you likely won't go through more than a mag's worth out of any gun, even a hunting rifle, unless you are way out in the sticks or are a horrible shot.
    I think it all depends on what you call SHTF. To me, the ammo crisis we just experienced was a SHTF moment. Had I not stocked what I stock, I would not have been shooting.

How many people on this board alone were complaining that they couldn't shoot because they couldn't find ammo for their guns - because they didn't prepare before hand and relied on getting ammo the day they wanted to shoot. What happened when the ammo dried up? They didn't shoot, right?

To me ammo shortages are a more realistic SHTF situation than zombies.

With all that being said, I like to keep 5k of all of my common ammo on hand at all times. Hell, I just went through about 500 rounds each of .22, 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62x39 today in one shooting session.

SHTF is not going to happen, sorry to disappoint everyone. Everyone should have learned this after the deadly Y2K incident. Ammo shortages are the only reason I could see. Realistically if the world does end you would probably only need a couple hundred rounds. I have a couple hundred rounds for each rifle, and shotgun. I usually keep enough pistol reloading supplies to make a couple thousand rounds since that's what I shoot the most. I really think it's funny that most people think they could actually survive in a real apocalypse situation. 99% of us are armchair warriors that would be in deep shit if we actually survived.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    SHTF is not going to happen, sorry to disappoint everyone. Everyone should have learned this after the deadly Y2K incident. Ammo shortages are the only reason I could see. Realistically if the world does end you would probably only need a couple hundred rounds. I have a couple hundred rounds for each rifle, and shotgun. I usually keep enough pistol reloading supplies to make a couple thousand rounds since that's what I shoot the most. I really think it's funny that most people think they could actually survive in a real apocalypse situation. 99% of us are armchair warriors that would be in deep shit if we actually survived.

Who says SHTF is an apocalypse situation?

Have you heard of Hurricane Katrina?
    How about The Brady Ban?
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast