Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Father On His Way To Philly

My father is traveling from IL to Philly as we speak. He has a PA LTCF and I just wanted to make sure I'm right about all this. In PA I know he's good to open or conceal but when he gets actually in Philly can he still do either or? He was inquiring me about this on the phone just now too make sure he's legal beagle and I suggested just to conceal and not worry. I tried to explain that I thought he is legal to open carry in Philly since he has an LTCF but that folks tend to get hassled.
    Is this all correct?

(Berks County)

Default Re: Father On His Way To Philly

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    My father is traveling from IL to Philly as we speak. He has a PA LTCF and I just wanted to make sure I'm right about all this. In PA I know he's good to open or conceal but when he gets actually in Philly can he still do either or? He was inquiring me about this on the phone just now too make sure he's legal beagle and I suggested just to conceal and not worry. I tried to explain that I thought he is legal to open carry in Philly since he has an LTCF but that folks tend to get hassled.
    Is this all correct?
    I would say you are completely correct by everything I've heard here. If he open carries he should probably wear a large sign saying...

Yes I have a Permit.

(Philadelphia County)

I agree! Philly cops are tough with that, if you don't want the hassle, don't open carry in Philadelphia.

(Northampton County)

He is correct.

Some people are nervous about OC in Philly, some are not. It has been reported that several Philly cops believe it is illegal and others just don't care whether it's legal or not. So the choice to OC is his to make.

Thank you, it's just a itty bitty Kel Tech 9 nobody would prolly even notice it but he's just going to cc and play it safe. Too far from home to take a risk

(Philadelphia County)

Do not open carry in the city, you are (almost) guaranteed to get arrested, disarmed and hassled. If you want to make a political statement and participate in an OC rally that is one thing. Otherwise no one in their right mind open carries except for the police. Please CC and call it a day. I wish him a safe trip and I hope his visit is a pleasant one.

Quote Originally Posted by twoeggsup View Post
    I would say you are completely correct by everything I've heard here. If he open carries he should probably wear a large sign saying...

Yes I have a Permit.

Sign should also state: "Don't Taze me, bro."

(Lycoming County)

Just for the sake of curiosity, does your Father have a permit or CCW from IL? I was under the impression that they did not exist, or I should say, never issue them.

Be safe (and learn something new).

Scott

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by remingtonman View Post
    Do not open carry in the city, you are (almost) guaranteed to get arrested, disarmed and hassled. If you want to make a political statement and participate in an OC rally that is one thing. Otherwise no one in their right mind open carries except for the police. Please CC and call it a day. I wish him a safe trip and I hope his visit is a pleasant one.
    I'm sorry, but you're just flat out wrong. Plenty of the members here have OC'd in Philly without issue, and continue to do so regularly.

It's a personal choice, but it's not sheer insanity or ludicrous to OC in Philly. You have to know what could happen, yes, but that doesn't seem to be what happens the majority of the time.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Swarner793 View Post
    Just for the sake of curiosity, does your Father have a permit or CCW from IL? I was under the impression that they did not exist, or I should say, never issue them.

Be safe (and learn something new).

Scott
    They do not exist in IL. An IL resident can get a PA LTCF by submitting a copy of his FOID card.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast