Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Pistol Transfer

Default Pistol Transfer

Ok, so I decided to get myself the CZ P-07, but I have what seems to be a sticky situation.

I am a college student and currently an intern in Virginia for the summer (temporary...filing taxes in PA), but a resident of PA. Therefore, my current living address does not match the address on my driver's license. The address on my license is my permanent address (where taxes are filed, registered to vote, etc.).

Emailing back and forth with a PA FFL, he says that I cannot buy a pistol when not living at the address listed on my license, even if temporary and moving back to the original address. Is this true?

Thanks!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Pistol Transfer

You live at the address on your license. I just fixed your problem.

(Perry County)

You will need to buy your pistol in Pa. or, I believe, buy in Va. and ;have shipped to a Pa dealer and pick it up there when you return to Pa. Alternately, perhaps your father or mother can buy it in Pa and then take it to you as a gift in Va.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jokusfocus View Post
    Ok, so I decided to get myself the CZ P-07, but I have what seems to be a sticky situation.

I am a college student and currently an intern in Virginia for the summer (temporary...filing taxes in PA), but a resident of PA. Therefore, my current living address does not match the address on my driver's license. The address on my license is my permanent address (where taxes are filed, registered to vote, etc.).

Emailing back and forth with a PA FFL, he says that I cannot buy a pistol when not living at the address listed on my license, even if temporary and moving back to the original address. Is this true?

Thanks!
    My opinion is worth what you are paying for it -- i.e. nothing. Here's what I think . . .

You remain a resident of PA as the place you pay taxes, vote, and intend to return. You are visiting VA for the summer. You are not required, as far as I know, to inform anyone, including an FFL, where you are visiting when not physically in PA. Your address is not where you are visiting; your address is where you live, in PA, your resident state and the place to which you intend to return.

If it all makes you nervous (and it should -- if you fail to kiss the crown's ass just right, ahem, I mean get all the government paperwork filled out the way they like it, you are in deep shit), just wait until you return to PA in the fall and problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    My opinion is worth what you are paying for it -- i.e. nothing. Here's what I think . . .

You remain a resident of PA as the place you pay taxes, vote, and intend to return. You are visiting VA for the summer. You are not required, as far as I know, to inform anyone, including an FFL, where you are visiting when not physically in PA. Your address is not where you are visiting; your address is where you live, in PA, your resident state and the place to which you intend to return.

If it all makes you nervous (and it should -- if you fail to kiss the crown's ass just right, ahem, I mean get all the government paperwork filled out the way they like it, you are in deep shit), just wait until you return to PA in the fall and problem solved.
    That is what I thought as well.

I had the pistol shipped from Bud's to the FFL, which he now has received. I brought up my story above, and then no more transfer. They want to ship it back to Bud's (to their credit, they offered to pay for this leg of the shipping), then from Bud's back to me. I'll see if they will ship it to another FFL in the area so I don't have to wait as long. I found another who is willing to do so and emailed the original FFL. Now to wait and see what they decide.