Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default Fundamentals of Firearm Retention and Disarms - F.I.R.E. Institute

Yesterday I was finally able to attend the Retain/Disarm instruction offered by the F.I.R.E. Institute. It was a long day, but a very good one. Based on my experience - particularly with the Instructor (PeteG) and his assistant, I would have absolutely no hesitation in participating in any other instruction offered by this organization.

I do not believe that anyone should have additional requirements imposed on them in order to exercise their rights, but from a personal standpoint, I believe that practice and different types of training better prepare me to deal with a variety of situations that I cannot predict and may encounter at some point. To that end, I encourage everyone to consider further training to add additional "tools" to their self-defense "toolbox". I also recognize that if I do not practice the techniques I have now been shown, spending a single day doing it will mean little else other than having less money in my wallet than I did before. I have been given the 'foundation'. I know need to apply it regularly so that if I ever have to employ it in a real-life scenario, it will be more a matter of instinct than recall.

I would like to thank F.I.R.E. Institute for making this opportunity available and encourage everyone to consider attending this class when it is again offered.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Washington County)

Default Re: Fundamentals of Firearm Retention and Disarms - F.I.R.E. Institute

If my finances agree with it, I will be attending this and others in the future. It was an eye opening seminar. Learned how much I didn't know and think of before, and gave me tools to practice and learn more.

(Now I just need the bluegun and firends to practice with )

Good to see you there Greg!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    If my finances agree with it, I will be attending this and others in the future. It was an eye opening seminar. Learned how much I didn't know and think of before, and gave me tools to practice and learn more.

(Now I just need the bluegun and firends to practice with )

Good to see you there Greg!
    I have two - you are always welcome to borrow one and we can practice.

I learned what things work and don't work in a holster - ruined my new CZ P-07 holster from CZ during the class, but I kind of expected it to not meet my expectations.

I'm even rethinking the leather DeSantis holster. Especially after the retaining the gun drill when an assailant tries to pull it out of the holster training. The main technique there is to put your hand on the theirs to pin their hand and keep from drawing the gun while you maneuver for the take-down and separation (distance). After we both struggled for the gun, with me pushing down on the gun grabbers hand and then breaking their grip and forcing them away - I could not get the gun out of the holster! Us forcing it down into the leather had wedged it so tight it took up what little time I had created myself by pushing the assailant down and away forcefully...

Very eye opening class in just THAT regard. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and look forward to more classes from F.I.R.E.

It was very nice working with both Greg and Azzy. The instructors had us switch the training partners we worked with throughout the day to add variety.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

It was a great class with a ton of great info. It was nice to see the turn out for the class.

A nice side effect of this class is that you really get to put your holster to the test. It also shows how much a good belt makes a difference.

Good seeing/meeting everyone there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    It was an eye opening seminar. Learned how much I didn't know and think of before,
    imho, this is the single most important lesson people (should, at least) take away from their first training class. it can (and should) be the start of a never-ending (and very fun) journey.

it's very difficult to explain it to people who have not taken any good courses. but, once they do, the light (tends to, at least) turn on...

'twas great training with all you guys. hope to see you all in future courses!
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

(Allegheny County)

I'm a little confused (as usual) about these different threads on the same topic ... but so that people are at least looking at the current information, I am posting it below. It is a little different than it was two years ago.

People have asked how to enroll a couple of times. One can either download an enrollment form from the FIRE Instittue web site, or just send a note giving your name and CONTACT INFORMATION (very important), and saying you want to enroll. We will send back a written enrollment confirmation in the mail.

Peter
    ------------------------------------------------------

PRINCIPLES OF WEAPONS RETENTION AND DISARMS

Date and Time: Saturday, March 5, 2011, 9:00 a.m. to about 5:00 p.m.

Cost: $100 per person, payable upon enrollment. (Note: there is no minimum enrollment requirement; this course will proceed so long as anybody at all enrolls.)

Place: Kim’s Martial Arts & Fitness, 3606 Brownsville Road (South Hills of Pittsburgh).

General Description: This is a one day (seven hour) seminar designed to illustrate the problems, issues and techniques associated with retaining a weapon against attempts by another party to take control of one’s weapon and, conversely, to illustrate methods of disarming an individual. We will be using hand guns as our weapon of choice in illustrating these principles and basis techniques, but will also discuss the application of these techniques to contact distance weapons (clubs, edged weapons, stabbing weapons).

The course includes straightforward explanations and illustrations of the following:
    The legal implications of disarming an attacker, and how it may play out in court.
    The difference between a “gun grab” and a disarm.
    Recognizing lines of attack.
    The role of movement, body position and leverage.
    The mechanics of disarms and retention.
    What sorts of movements are required to defeat or effect “gun grabs” and disarms.
    Holsters and equipment (solutions to retention or invitations to trouble).

There are serious legal consequences attendant upon carrying a gun and either having it taken from us, or disarming another – presumably and attacker – and then using that weapon to harm someone. This is why we include a review of Pennsylvania law applicable when one: (a) carries a firearm in a holster (concealed or openly) and is not trained to ward off an attempt by another to take control of that weapon; or (b) disarms another individual and then uses that other individual’s weapon.

Although we will demonstrate and offer instruction on how to execute specific techniques, this is not a training course designed to make anyone competent to either disarm an attacker or retain control of one’s weapon. The movement and techniques involved simply cannot be “learned” in a day; those who anticipate becoming proficient in these methods after attending a one-day seminar have unrealistic expectations. This is a familiarization course, designed to show participants what is involved, so they realize they can do this, see what will be involved in actually learning these techniques, and make an educated decision whether to pursue actual training in this subject.

Prerequisites: None. Physical exertion is moderate; one can expect to be pushed, grabbed and fall down , and to push and grab others. There will be no throwing or strikes, and no actual fighting. No martial arts background is required. If one happens to have martial arts training, the instructor will integrate the martial arts experience of individual participants on a student-by-student basis.

Equipment Requirements: An inert training gun (“red gun,” “blue gun,” etc.), a holster to fit that particular training gun, and a substantial belt to support the holster. PFDC can supply such training guns for those who do not have their own, but our supply of specific firearms may not be sufficient such that we can supply everyone with a replica of the hand gun they carry.

Attire: Wear loose-fitting, comfortable clothing. No jewelry (watches, earrings, studs, etc.) may be worn during the seminar. No shoes are permitted in the training (mat) area, so expect to go bare-foot or wear socks.

Instructor: Peter Georgiades. He is a graduate of the Operational Skills Group Contact Weapons Defense Instructor course, and is ranked NiDan (2nd Dan) in Kodokan Judo (medalist at USJA Senior National Championships, Masters Division, 2005 and 2007; Gold Medalist, USJA Pa. State Open Championships 2010 and 2011 - Masters Division, 100+ kg.). He is a Graduate of the Gunsite Training Academy L.E. Carbine Instructor Certification Course, Marksman’s Enterprise 3 day instructor courses for carbine and pistol and numerous instructor clinics with Giles Stock and through IALEFI. Certified to instruct by the NRA in rifle, pistol, shotgun and personal protection, and the State of Arizona (certificate No. 8769268). Member (IALEFI).

DRIVING DIRECTIONS and ENROLLMENT FORMS can be downloaded at www.fireinstitute.org.

For additional information call 412/ 381-8035

Note: This seminar does not involve the handling of any functional firearms or edged weapons. All exercises are performed using inert training guns and training props. No firearms, ammunition, edged weapons or sharp implements are permitted in the training area. There are lockers where such articles may be stored on premises during the course, but participants are responsible for bringing their own padlock.

(Allegheny County)

The 2011 version of this is being held on May 5. It is listed in the firearms training section of this forum.

For those who do not have an inert training pistol and want one, L.A. Police Gear is having a closeout on Blackhawk brand trining guns. They are $23.24 each, which is a pretty good price. Grey or yellow (color is generally irrelevant for training purposes).

Peter
    (Posted on Wed. Feb. 23rd)