Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Selling My Hand Gun

I have a question I recently sold my first Firearm to a local gun shop owner, who seems to be very respectable, but I am a little put off on the process. I walked in and said to him I would like to see if your intrested in buy this used firearm, to which he says let me see, takes a look gives me a price, I accept the deal, and all I do is hand him the gun take the reciept and sing the actual reciept and thats it, I walk out.

My question is shouldn't there be something more I have to fill out? I had to fill out all this paperwork to get the damn thing and I can just more or less hand it over to him and thats it? Did I miss something or is this SOP? Please help

Corey

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Selling My Hand Gun

If I remember correctly, when I sold a pistol that I inherited from my late father, I was asked for my drivers license and signed the receipt and that was it. They are more concerned about who buys a handgun than who sells it.

(Lancaster County)

Sounds fishy to me, he should of at least copied the info off your drivers license for his records in the book.

I would have expected him to check and record your ID.
    I work in a Pawn Shop and we don't buy ANYTHING from ANYBODY without an ID, so maybe I'm just conditioned to the whole ID thing.....

(Jefferson County)

Thats all the FFL was required to do. He is exempt of the PSP transfer for business, and so long as he adds the gun to his bound book he complies with federal law.

When selling a gun to a dealer, all that needs to transpire is an agreement on price, and handing over of the money and gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Schuylkill County)

not an ffl..... but anytime i sold a handgun they took my DL info.. i would think they would need somekind of info...

(Berks County)

thanks for the help I'm sorry for the misunderstanding he did look at my DL. Other then that, that was it. So I guess I'm dandy I was just concerned I didn't want my gun being sold to some gangbanger and I go down for the crime.

thanks

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Thats all the FFL was required to do. He is exempt of the PSP transfer for business, and so long as he adds the gun to his bound book he complies with federal law.

When selling a gun to a dealer, all that needs to transpire is an agreement on price, and handing over of the money and gun.
    Correct answer ^^^

Per fed and Pa. law all the FFL is required to do is record the acquisition in his bound book (make model, type, ser#, cal. and who aquired from name & address or Name and FFL#)

That's it.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by czerbe View Post
    thanks for the help I'm sorry for the misunderstanding he did look at my DL. Other then that, that was it. So I guess I'm dandy I was just concerned I didn't want my gun being sold to some gangbanger and I go down for the crime.

thanks
    so long as he gave you a receipt with the serial number to your gun showing you sold the gun to him you should be good to go. just never lose the receipt since that's your only proof you sold the gun.

(Butler County)

He checks your ID, you sign the receipt. He gives you less money than it's worth and you're done. That's usually how it works for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast