Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Concealed Carry -- Non-Incident

Yesterday, I carried my sidearm concealed in the same way I have just about everyday for the last several years.

While I was in the WaWa, nobody said anything.

At the local mall, nobody asked me to leave.

No angry mothers shielded their children.

No ignorant antis accosted me and drew attention to me.

No uninformed police officers lectured me.

In no way was I inconvenienced, and I went about my business.

During my day, I had fascinating and engaging discussions with people I met on a variety of different topics of interest. Sports, politics, food, firearms, cars, travel, and the like.

It was another hassle-free, wonderful day. Thanks to all who have protected my 2nd Amendment rights to carry concealed.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Concealed Carry -- Non-Incident

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Yesterday, I carried my sidearm concealed in the same way I have just about everyday for the last several years.

While I was in the WaWa, nobody said anything.

At the local mall, nobody asked me to leave.

No angry mothers shielded their children.

No ignorant antis accosted me and drew attention to me.

No uninformed police officers lectured me.

In no way was I inconvenienced, and I went about my business.

During my day, I had fascinating and engaging discussions with people I met on a variety of different topics of interest. Sports, politics, food, firearms, cars, travel, and the like.

It was another hassle-free, wonderful day. Thanks to all who have protected my 2nd Amendment rights to carry concealed.
    Most times you will find that this works this way for CC or OC. I do not OC but I have the utmost respect for those that do. Maybe when I retire I will be brave enough to join them.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    I used to think this way, and then I found this article. I now believe that the Second Amendment does not protect concealed carry. It protects the right to have weapons and to carry them with you. If the federal government made a law against concealing a weapon, I do not think it would go against the 2nd Amendment. If they make a law against open carrying, I believe that would be completely unconstitutional. If they make a law requiring concealed carry, I also find that unconstitutional since some weapons cannot be concealed.

The only way I think you could say that you were exercising your Second Amendment rights would be if you carried concealed without one of those license or permit things that the government requires for you to have in order to do something that is your right. Although, as I said earlier, I do not believe that concealed carry is a right, but you can take that up with the courts and legislature. I will watch the case carefully.

Now, if you will open carry in Philadelphia, without a license or permit, or another location that it is illegal to exercise your right to bear arms, I will support you completely and probably even write you some letters while you are in jail or prison.

Sorry to be so harsh with you, but it is because of thinking like this that we have given up so much of our rights under the 2nd Amendment. I stand firmly behind concealed carry and open carry. We, the people, need to contact our legislature and take back the rights we have given up in the interest of happy thoughts and well intentioned foolishness.

(Allegheny County)

Hardy har har...

Nothing original here. The same thread has been posted by many people. (Mostly, by those who do not like that others carry openly)

Originally Posted by Cole
    Quote Originally Posted by dhg247 View Post
    I used to think this way, and then I found this article. I now believe that the Second Amendment does not protect concealed carry. It protects the right to have weapons and to carry them with you. If the federal government made a law against concealing a weapon, I do not think it would go against the 2nd Amendment. If they make a law against open carrying, I believe that would be completely unconstitutional. If they make a law requiring concealed carry, I also find that unconstitutional since some weapons cannot be concealed.

The only way I think you could say that you were exercising your Second Amendment rights would be if you carried concealed without one of those license or permit things that the government requires for you to have in order to do something that is your right. Although, as I said earlier, I do not believe that concealed carry is a right, but you can take that up with the courts and legislature. I will watch the case carefully.

Now, if you will open carry in Philadelphia, without a license or permit, or another location that it is illegal to exercise your right to bear arms, I will support you completely and probably even write you some letters while you are in jail or prison.

Sorry to be so harsh with you, but it is because of thinking like this that we have given up so much of our rights under the 2nd Amendment. I stand firmly behind concealed carry and open carry. We, the people, need to contact our legislature and take back the rights we have given up in the interest of happy thoughts and well intentioned foolishness.

I wish more people were as "harsh" as you are.

Seriously though, by posting the way you did, someone may actually THINK about it and realize how right you are.
    Good job.
    Last edited by Emptymag; June 24th, 2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: clarification
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

apparently you've never read the pa constitution

(Monroe County)

Cole, this was very impressive...
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

I now believe that the Second Amendment does not protect concealed carry.
    bear means "to carry".

infringe means "to encroach upon".

imposing conditions on a right is encroaching upon that right. (imposing conditions = limiting; and limiting = encroaching upon; thus, imposing conditions = infringing).

thus, imposing conditions on "to carry" is, by definition, encroaching upon ones right to carry.

thus, it is infringing the right to bear arms.

the 2nd amendment does not say "the right to bear arms shall not be taken away"...it says "shall not be infringed". there is no threshold of degree...it just says "infringe"...any infringement is infringement.

the 2nd amendment does not say "the right to bear arms openly" shall not be infringed. it just says "the right to bear arms" without any qualifications. thus, all bearing of arms is covered. the 2nd amendment protects both OC and CC.

it really is that simple...no matter how much people--including the legal system--try to obfuscate it.

(if the 2nd was actually supposed to mean something else, the people who wrote it should have written something else.)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; June 24th, 2010 at 11:56 AM.
    F*S=k

(Warren County)

Thumbs up Re: Concealed Carry -- Non-Incident

This is the same results I get when I carry concealed and nobody is the wiser. While I respect the right to open carry, it's just not for me. When I carry it's for protection for my wife and I. And on that note while my wife is comfortable shooting and has recently gotten her permit, she has yet to carry. Someday I think she'll be comfortable enough to carry, but only she will know when that will be.
    Tim , USAF Ret.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by chez323 View Post
    This is the same results I get when I carry concealed and nobody is the wiser. While I respect the right to open carry, it's just not for me. When I carry it's for protection for my wife and I. And on that note while my wife is comfortable shooting and has recently gotten her permit, she has yet to carry. Someday I think she'll be comfortable enough to carry, but only she will know when that will be.
    Results? If you're CC then you're CC, there are no results. You carry concealed for protection, as opposed to people who OC, who don't carry for protection?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    bear means "to carry".

infringe means "to encroach upon".

imposing conditions on a right is encroaching upon that right. (imposing conditions = limiting; and limiting = encroaching upon; thus, imposing conditions = infringing).

thus, imposing conditions on "to carry" is, by definition, encroaching upon ones right to carry.

thus, it is infringing the right to bear arms.

the 2nd amendment does not say "the right to bear arms shall not be taken away"...it says "shall not be infringed". there is no threshold of degree...it just says "infringe"...any infringement is infringement.

the 2nd amendment does not say "the right to bear arms openly shall not be infringed. it just says "the right to bear arms" without any qualifications. thus, all bearing of arms is covered. the 2nd amendment protects both OC and CC.

it really is that simple...no matter how much people--including the legal system--try to obfuscate it.

(if the 2nd was actually supposed to mean something else, the people who wrote it should have written something else.)
    I would really love to agree with this, and I really like the argument. But, I cannot see it going anywhere legally. Especially since so many states specifically prohibit concealed carry in their state constitutions.

Are you really limiting carry by making someone carry in the open? What weapons requires concealment to be carried?
    If you are not limiting carry, is bearing arms really being infringed?

I view concealment as a privilege because I do not see the infringement of bearing arms in the restriction of concealed carry, as a privilege I am ok with getting a license to carry.

As I said earlier, I would love it if the courts took your position; I would love to see the concealed weapons bans be ruled unconstitutional.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast