Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lawrence County)

Default Advice On Purchasing My First Gun

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions about what type of handgun to purchase. This is my first experience with guns. Other than my son's BB rifles, I've never shot a gun. I'm going to be taking safety classes this fall but I want to familiarize myself as much as possible with what's out there. When I walk into the store, I don't want to go in blindly. Here are some stats.

I'm a woman (obviously ), petite, 5'2", weight is about 125 lbs. I have small hands. My ring size is a four. And I know this may sound girly and frivolous to a man but I really would prefer a pink gun. So if you could suggest something that would suit me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.

"Kitty"

Just a little white girl wearing pink.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Advice On Purchasing My First Gun

Guns can be refinished and colored to any hue you wish to have. Focusing on the color of a gun is like worrying about the color of a care before you entertain the price, features, size, safety and other factors that are much more important.

Attend the training you have already sought out. Try out the handguns offered at your local range for rent. Go shooting with a friend or three and try their handguns. They come in all shapes and sizes, try as many as you can to see which you are more comfortable with, enjoy and can shoot well with.

I have been shooting for about 25 years, and that is the best advice I can give you. Have fun.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Cumberland County)

I would encourage you to forget about the pink for now and try to find a range that will let you shoot as many guns as possible. I know it's fun to have cool colors. I have a Springfield XD that is OD green and I almost bought a Glock the other day that was the same the color. The two guns are very, very similar and I only wanted it for the color. Silly.

The big question is what do you intend to use the gun for? Self defense? Home defense? Target shooting? These are the important details. Training is also very important, I'm glad you're taking classes.

Don't worry too much about getting a gun that isn't pink. You can always make it pink later. Check out www.goldenloki.com.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

I'd skip the whole "pink" thing with your first purchase. That will put extreme limitations on what is available. I'd suggest going to a range that has a lot of rental guns, and shoot a bunch to find out what you like the best. I would suggest trying a .38 revolver and 9mm first, as these calibers have less recoil than most others that would be used for self defense. You didn't state what you'll be using this gun for, so a nice .38 or 9mm would be good for self defense and simple target shooting/plinking. If it's only going to be used for target shooting, I would recommend getting a .22. The best thing to do is try as many as you can, first.

Edit: These guys beat me to it. ^^^^^^
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Spend some time on Kathy Jackson's excellent web site at www.corneredcat.com. Lots of good info there, much of it specifically for the ladies.

(Adams County)

S&W 642 Airweight, in .38 calibur. I believe you can even get it with pink handgrips.

You sound to be about my wife's size--though, I think my better half is a couple inches taller. Regardless, it fits her perfectly and I'm of the firm opinion that no pistol is better to start with than a revolver.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    S&W 642 Airweight, in .38 calibur. I believe you can even get it with pink handgrips.

You sound to be about my wife's size--though, I think my better half is a couple inches taller. Regardless, it fits her perfectly and I'm of the firm opinion that no pistol is better to start with than a revolver.

camper

Did you let your wife pick out her gun or did you decide for her?

Pick whatever you feel comfortable with and can manipulate with ease. You don't have to start with a revolver. Try to make it out to a few PAFOA meets in your area. Especially around this time, I'm sure a few members wouldn't mind you trying their pistols and it's a great way to aquire expirence and try many various calibers in Semi/Revolver.

(Lancaster County)

Since it's your first pistol, I have to agree with the 22 to learn how to use one and get comfortable with handguns, then later get what you want.
    A lot of people, if they see you can handle a pistol, will let you shoot theirs so you could have a chance to try many different makes & types until you deside what you want.

Oh and there are a few companies that make quality finishes so you could always make whatever you buy the color you want.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
    Did you let your wife pick out her gun or did you decide for her?
    I decide everything for her, she's my property and I own her. She takes what I give her, and loves it. If she gets lippy, I threaten to hit her. It always works to slump those shoulders down and keep her gaze solidly on the floor as she mops up the puddles of urine she leaves behind when I threaten her with my ring hand.[*]

But the question nonetheless is somewhat loaded. My wife is not a 'gun chick' and defers to my judgement on such matters, as my experience far outweighs hers. Technically the pistol is mine, but I purchased it with the express purpose of her being able to use it, taking into consideration her small frame and the hard time she has racking the slide of a semi-auto due to lacking strength in her fingers/hand (yet somehow she can poke and pinch me like a demon from hell when I say something stupid or rude--which is often).

If I were buying a revolver for myself, I would have picked one much larger and in a higher calibur.

Pick whatever you feel comfortable with and can manipulate with ease. You don't have to start with a revolver. Try to make it out to a few PAFOA meets in your area. Especially around this time, I'm sure a few members wouldn't mind you trying their pistols and it's a great way to aquire expirence and try many various calibers in Semi/Revolver.
    The reason I suggest a .38 revolver is because they're simple to use, fun to shoot, and not as complicated as semi-autos. The round is effective for defense, cheap to shoot, and doesn't have a terrible amount of recoil. But of course...try as many as you can.

camper[*] Of course none of this paragraph is true, and I'd rather castrate myself than abuse my wife.
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    Spend some time on Kathy Jackson's excellent web site at www.corneredcat.com. Lots of good info there, much of it specifically for the ladies.
    I'll second this recommendation.

Also... I'd strongly suggest getting a .22 pistol as your first handgun. Practice and learn good habits before moving up to something in a larger caliber.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast