Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Benefits/Disadvatages of Shooting More Than One Pistol at the Range

And, no - I don't mean simultaneously.

I regularly shoot with a buddy who shoots the same pistol during every trip to the range (a Glock 24). He's consistently a better shot than I am (for a number of reasons, I'm sure). When I did that (when I had only one pistol), I'd shoot my CZ-75B all time time. Now, having 5 pistols, I alternate what I bring to the range. I find that my overall range experience is sometimes less than satisfying. In my case, there's always a "learning curve" or at the very least some initial crummy shooting when transistioning from one gun to another. Is this expected?
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

Default Re: Benefits/Disadvatages of Shooting More Than One Pistol at the Range

That is a pretty typical experience I think, unless you shoot quite a bit (more than 5 hours a week, maybe?). Shooting the same pistol all the time, you will get good with that pistol faster. You may not be a crack shot with all pistols, but you'll be able to run that one like a house on fire. Last year I shot my Glock 17 a few hours a week without shooting my other guns much and got to the point where I can run it fast and hard at a decent range.

I'd suggest practicing most with your carry gun but bring another pistol along since it seems like you might get bored with just 1 pistol by your post. Shoot your carry gun 2/3 of the time you're at the range and your grab bag pistol the other 1/3. You'll still have lots of fun but get better with your carry gun!

If you only shoot one gun all the time, you're going to be more accustomed to how it shoots. By alternating guns, you're also changing how you shoot each one (POA & POI change for each gun, even if slightly; if you go from a large-frame handgun to a sub-compact or pocket gun, your grip is going to change).

I like being able to shoot out a bullseye with a certain gun, but I also like to know that I'm satisfactory at shooting multiple guns. Unless you shoot each one a lot, you'll have a variance on how proficient you are. You'd probably shoot one gun better than another no matter how much you shoot though (eg - I'm usually a pretty good shot with the 1911, but my PF9 I always am just "on par" enough to feel that it would still be an effective defensive gun - but apples and oranges - it's kinda expected).

The only BAD thing I can say about shooting multiple guns every time is having to clean multiple guns every time.

(Philadelphia County)

In my experience, I achieved my best results when I had access to a .22 MkIII at the range. I'd put down several hundred rounds of .22 per session, then, I'd do a box or two of my .45.

I found that my trigger discipline got exponentially better with all my handguns the more I shot the .22.

This are .22 and .45 at 22 feet.

In essence, the more you shoot (with any sort of gun), the better you'll get across the board.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Thanks to all. Makes sense. It's frustrating though, because I tend to think, "What's happening to me?". If I stick with what I shoot regularly (don't carry, but for home defense), I'm satisfied. I do okay rotating through the pistols, but nowhere near as well as I do with my CZ or Glock 19 (that's the nighstand pistol).
    "I don't care what went wrong. I beat the snot out of it until it works" - Clint Smith

(Allegheny County)

I suck no matter what handgun I use.
    I really wish the feds would lighten up on them there hand grenade restrictions.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Once you know how to shoot, you can pick up any gun and shoot it accurately. I do it all the time with student's guns....guns I've never even held or seen.

Your key is to seek professional instruction to figure out what you may be doing incorrectly.

(Lehigh County)

I shoot all of my pistols well. I also practice with all of my carry guns when ever I got to the range. I carry a G32, Colt Commander, and Sccy CPX-1. I prioritize my practice sessions based on how often the gun is carried. For me:

G32 - 50% (I carry this gun the most, so it gets the majority of practice)
    1911 - 25% (for more formal occasions, who says men can't accessorize?)
    CPX-1 - 25% (my CC gun, it gets carried the least)

The important thing is that you practice with every gun you carry or would carry. I try to put rounds through my carry guns every month, with atleast one mag of carry ammo. (It doesn't always work out this way though)
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    In essence, the more you shoot (with any sort of gun), the better you'll get across the board.
    Spot on. Good, quality thoughtful practice with any gun from bb guns to large bore revolvers will improve your shooting skills. A good benefit to shooting a variety of guns is becoming more familiar with different manipulations regarding each gun. Every gun has slide releases, mag releases, safeties and the such in slightly different places, it is good to be able to transition through the differences effortlessly.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Spot on. Good, quality thoughtful practice with any gun from bb guns to large bore revolvers will improve your shooting skills. A good benefit to shooting a variety of guns is becoming more familiar with different manipulations regarding each gun. Every gun has slide releases, mag releases, safeties and the such in slightly different places, it is good to be able to transition through the differences effortlessly.
    This is true, but IMO most people don't have, or won't commit to have, the sheer amount of time needed to be Unconsciously Competent across multiple platforms.

I would definitely say that everyone should really have an experimental phase, trying everything, maybe even owning a decent variety. I don't regret the money and time I spent doing that.

But unless you dedicate operator-level amounts of practice, you get the best results per time sticking to one platform, or at least staying 90% with one platform.

YMMV, but unless you shoot huge numbers of rounds, such as a competition shooter might do, I find the brain does not have an instantly accessible Rolodex of data for each gun, esp grip angle. I used to split my time 50/50 between a CZ75 and a G17. The grip angles are very different. After a 100 rds of one, my body index for the other would get de-programmed. If you need to shoot for real, you need to instinctively bring the gun up with the right index. You can't present the gun too high or low, then fiddle around with the sights to get it right. You need to be mostly on target before even acquiring sights. The quickest way to get that is to totally immerse in only the one platform (whichever it is).

Also, trigger feel, manual of arms, control placement, how the mag feels in your hand, etc etc etc are all different. I get the desire to be at least competent across multiple platforms, but for a private citizen with a LTCF, 99.9+% of the time, you're shooting your own weapon in a defensive scenario. The need to be instantly UC with a battlefield pickup is pretty unlikely.
    Last edited by dgg9; June 29th, 2010 at 12:19 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast