11 12.22%
  • N.A. Guardian 380

2 2.22%
  • Other .380

26 28.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What .380 is for me?

Now as some of you know I made a deal with my fiancé, If I have to drop 2K on a ring the least she could do is buy me a gun. Well I want a .380 because my XD-40 can be a bit cumbersome with some of my summer cloths.

Well I thought I wanted a Ruger LCP, but then I saw the Taurus 738 TCP.
    I have only shot the Ruger but I am sure the Kel-tec is about the same... I am sure most of you have the Ruger or the Kel-Tec, But the Taurus caught my eye because of the slide lock.
    Also this would be a gun I would want the gal to carry. Simple and reliable...

What are your opinions?

Taurus 738 TCP

Ruger LCP

Kahr p380

N.A. Guardian 380
    Last edited by Bug44; June 28th, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
    ΑΣΦ

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What .380 is for me?

The Kahr if price isn't an object, the LCP if it is
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Montgomery County)

Maybe a SIG P238?

(Dauphin County)

GF's mom had a Taurus just like that one. We went to the range to shoot it one day right after she got it and it was noting but trouble. It failed to chamber every other round of personal defense ammo. She sold it after that. Oh, and she very much enjoyed my p229 and Glock 17.

I don't have any trigger time with any of those other guns. I like the Walther PK380 though...I'd like to test one out

(Washington County)

I looked at the TCP too and was going o get it for the same reason but it is a beta tester, plus I found a good deal on a P3AT. I think it will be good in time once they get the bugs worked out since in has a few things (slide lock and extra mag) on the LCP and P3AT.

If you want to spend a bit more I hear the Khar and Sig are really nice and have the slide lock and better sights plus there not much bigger. I've played with both of them but haven't shot either and they do feel a bit better in the hand.

I've shot an LCP and I have a P3AT and they are about the same plus they have had the problems worked out unlike the TCP. I like the P3AT and it shoots nice but the slide lock would be nice at times but I can deal with not having it.

What it came down to for me was reliability and price. You can always trade up later once they fix the TCP or you want a Sig or Khar. I defiantly love the pocket pistol for quick trips in the summer or just to always have on me.

Just my 2 cents

(Monroe County)

i dunno man, a $2,000 ring versus a sub $350 gun... sounds like your getting the short end of the deal on this one. tell her you want like 5 of them.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Dauphin County)

SIG SAUER P238...

(Lackawanna County)

I picked up a Bersa Thunder in .380. Before you get one, BE SURE YOU CAN GET AMMO. There is one store near me (that's within my day to day driving area) that has practice ammo. I am yet to find defensive ammo in .380. There is one place I haven't had a chance to check.

If the KelTec is comfortable to you, go for it. I bought my bersa because my XDM.40 was too big for me to comfortably carry every day, and keltecs were too small. I love the feel of my bersa, It fits my hand very well. the recoil is pretty snappy, but it doesn't bother me in the least.

I just wish I would have gotten it in a 9mm.

By the way, I think I paid $235 out the door for it.

(Cumberland County)

I have shot both the Kel-Tec and the Ruger. Both are uncomfortable to shoot. I would imagine that the Taurus would be pretty much the same. Granted, these are not made to be range guns, but how likely are you to practice with them if they are uncomfortable to shoot? Practice is important to effective defense.

+1 on the Bersa Thunder 380. It's a poor man's PPK, but it's a great gun for the $$. I carry mine regularly.

The SIG 238 is a 1911 "clone". You may have trouble feeding anything other than FMJ ammo. Being a 1911 style, it is single action only.

There is also the SIG 232 which is more like the Bersa. However, the gun is more European in design - there is no slide release (pull back to release), magazine release is on the bottom of the grip (rather than the release button).
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

my fiancee just got a Walther PK 380 a few weeks back and we have been to the range everyweekend with it since. No problems yet. Has a nice natural feel to it. Cons are it feels cheapely made, the mag release is at a weird spot and it's a little bigger than other 380's. Pros' reliable so far, easy for her to carry, comfortable grip, triggers decent, ambidexterous thumb safety and the slide is very easy to pull back on these pistols so people with weak or arthritis should be able to operate the weapon fully.
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast